Richard Martin

Discussion in 'British Census' started by Sis, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Help please in finding him in any census after 1861.

Richard Martin was born c.1855 in Woolwich, according to the 1861 census RG10, Piece 403, Folio 111, Page 4. In this census he is with his mother Mary Martin at the Royal Naval Hospital in Greenwich, Mary is a nurse. She married in 1870, a widow, and in the 1871 census is with her husband Thomas Perry and still in Greenwich, but not the hospital, no sign of Richard, RG10, Piece 759, Folio 19, Page 32. I can't find Richard's birth, have even tried under Richard Joyce which is his mother's maiden name. Couldn't find a death I was happy with either.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  2. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

It looks as if it could be even more complicated, Sis. I don't know if you have already found this, but Mary was a widow when she married Richard MARTIN, presumably the father of Richard, in 1849 at Woolwich St Mary Magdalene - image available to view on Ancestry:

2 September 1849 Richard MARTIN, full age, bachelor, Labourer, Woolwich, father William MARTIN, Labourer, & Mary MARTINS, full age, widow, Woolwich, father Morris JOYCE, Carpenter. Both made their mark. Mary's father is the same in all respects as on her marriage to Thomas PERRY in 1870.

Could this be Richard & Mary in the 1851 census of Woolwich (HO107/1588, folio 126, page 18) living at Railway Cottages with son William aged 5 and daughter Jane aged 7 months which is also interesting given that the GRO registration for daughter Jane shows the mother's maiden name as MARTINS! Even more interesting is the fact that Richard MARTIN is buried on 17 October 1852 at Woolwich, he being aged 47 and living at Railway Cottages. William James MARTINS's birth was registered December qtr 1845 at Greenwich reg district, mother's maiden name JOYCE, so it looks as if it is definitely the correct family.

Have to dash off now, but will look for a bit more information later.

Janet

3. Sis

WOW, thank you very much Janet. End of day here so need to digest this all tomorrow.:) Me thinks I need to hone my researching skills.:rolleyes:

Archie's Mum likes this.
  4. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Nothing wrong with your researching skills young lady. :)

Sis likes this.
  5. Sis

Thank you AM. I just feel so silly when I've been searching and searching and search....... and then others find something. Not that I'm not ever so grateful for the wonderful help I always get. I think it's time for bed!:(

Ma-dotcom, Sandiep and Daft Bat like this.
  6. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Just a case of 'over searching' Sis. Happens to us all. So often needs fresh or unconnected person's eyes to see what we miss.

Bonzo Dog, Jellylegs and Sis like this.
  7. Sis

Thank you again @janetbooth I didn't think to look under Mary Martin for Mary's first marriage. (I should know better by now!:rolleyes:). I agree that the 1851 census family you found is them. I'll give this family a rest for a while, me thinks. It was the Perry family that I was looking in to, but you can't forget those that marry in to the family, can you.:)

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  8. Sis

Found a William James baptism in Nov, born Oct 1845 at Woolwich, St Mary Magdalene. Father John Martins and mother May. John is a private in the Royal Marines and Thomas Perry, Mary's third husband was in the marines. So I think it ties in. Still need to find Richard born c1855.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  9. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

I found this yesterday, but discounted it, but perhaps it might be relevant, it fits with the death of Richard senior in 1852
    upload_2018-4-29_8-6-52.png
    at St Jude Peckham

Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  10. Sis

Thank you very much MM. It's nice when all the pieces start coming together.:)

Ma-dotcom and MollyMay like this.
  11. Sis

Firstly May should read Mary. Secondly I found John Martins 1939 naval record where they say who and where they want their pay sent and it tells me they were married in Cork in 1832. Yay!!! (Bet that wont be easy to find, being Ireland!:rolleyes:).

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  12. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Now the family is coming together isn't it. Railway Cottages looks to be part of Henry Street according to Richard snr's burial record so I think MM's baptismal record is spot on. I frequently get tunnel vision, Sis, especially when I have been searching for something for quite a time, and then somebody comes along with a fresh perspective and pair of eyes and spots it straight away! There do seem to be a fair few Cork records online, so you may well be lucky.

Janet

MollyMay, Sis and Daft Bat like this.
  13. Sis

Thanks Janet, I'm going to try the Cork records tomorrow.

janetbooth and Daft Bat like this.