Richard Smith Poyser b1856 Barkestone Leics

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by HildaW, Aug 15, 2015.

1. HildaW

HildaW Well-Known Member

I have him in all census except:

(1861 Barkestone, Leics enumerated as Pyzer A transcribed as Kyzer RG9/2484/89 page 13 but could be page 18 with parents and family)
    1871 he was not yet married - where was he?
    (1901 Blidworth, Notts on A transcribed as Porpor RG13/3142/25 p1)
    a few weeks after the 1901 census late April they were in Hammersmith, London where they enrolled a daughter Maud at the Munster Road school - this is definitely them because her previous school was Blidworth but strangely she does not appear on the 1901 census with the family.
    1911 wife name Betsy

I have no idea where they were, daughter Florence Alene/Aline should still be with them age 16.
    In 1913 Richard and Betsy immigrated to Unity, Saskatchewan, Canada, to farm with a son but not sure how long they stayed because they both died in Warwickshire he in 1936 and and she in 1933

I have searched passenger lists for c1911 and cannot find anything, no 1911 census for Richard, Betsy, Maud or Florence using all possible variations of surname and some wild possibilities.
    Any help grateful appreciated

Amanda BOUNDS likes this.
  2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

I wonder if this was he:
    RG10, piece 3356, folio 93, page 29

A servant at the Peacock Inn in Belvoir. The place of birth is listed as Redmile, but that is less than a mile from Barkestone.

Ma-dotcom and HildaW like this.
  3. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

There is a Richard POYSER, aged 15, Cow Boy, born Redmile, Leicestershire in the 1871 census of Belvoir (RG10/3356, folio 93, page 29) living at the Peacock Inn - perhaps a possibility??

1891 census he and wife Betsey are living at "The Greyhound", Melton Road, Upper Broughton (RG12/2545, folio 37, page 5) together with children Ethel, Kate, Grace, Richard H & Maud E (just in case you do not have it).

There is an R S POYSER, plus a Mrs POYSER aged 56, who appears on the UK Passenger Lists, he being described as a 56 year old Farmer, departing 9 July 1913 from Liverpool on board the "Tunisian" destination Montreal.

Marriage at Sneinton St Stephen, Nottingham, on 27 January 1879 between a Richard POYSER & Betsy MARSON (Notts FHS Marriage Index) - again in case you do not have it.

Janet

4. janetbooth

Just to confirm the above UK Passenger List, Ancestry have a Canadian Passenger List record for a Richard Smith POYSER, aged 56 & Betsey POYSER, aged 56, arriving at Quebec on 18 July 1913 on board the "Tunisian", their destination being Unity, Saskatchewan, he being shown as a Farmer from England and intending to Farm in Canada.

However, I still cannot find them in the 1911 census!

Janet

5. HildaW

HildaW Well-Known Member

Jan and Janet, thank you sooo much, the 1871 census is surely him, Redmile village is a stone's throw from Barkeston, and the lad below him has place of birth Barkestone - perhaps the 2 lads pob mixed up? probably did not find that one because I had been looking Leics and Notts - silly me for not widening the search because I already knew the boundaries changed back and forth quite a bit - that'll learn me.

Most of the rest of his married life he was a Farmer/Butcher but also at times enumerated as Publican & Farmer so I guess the Peacock Inn was the start. Richard's father was Frame Work Knitter, with shop, but by the 1870's such small establishments were dying out what with big factories so wise Richard looked for another career and did very well, Parish Councillor in Upper Broughton, travelled to Canada perhaps more than once.

Janet thanks you have confirmed all that I have found.

1911 - this census is such a crucial document for soooo many reasons pity they are not to be found.

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  6. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Well, I have tried every permutation that I can think of to find them on the 1911 census, but to no avail. :(

I even checked the 1911 Canadian census in case they snuck over there earlier on a scouting mission, but no. :headbang:

HildaW likes this.
  7. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

That makes 2 of us:(

HildaW, Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  8. janetbooth

And I still cannot find them either. I don't know if this will be relevant to you Hilda, given that Richard & Betsey died in Birmingham, but there is a marriage registration on the GRO, which I can't find on Ancestry's BMDs, in the September qtr 1919 at Aston, Vol 6D, page 1051, for a Florence A POYSER and a Henry LYNE. Not sure whether his Christian name is correct though, as Ancestry have on their Midland Electoral Rolls a record in Edgbaston in 1950 for a Harold & Florence A LYNE living at 5 Pakenham Road. Ah, this is explained by Ancestry having the same marriage registration but the groom is shown as Harold LYNE and the bride as Florence A POYSER.

Janet

HildaW likes this.
  9. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Three.- looked like a possible on Family search- turned out to be 'Pryzer 21ish- a baker-single' of Barkestone Leics.
    Even the children are turning up nil.with exeption of Grace Poyser- domestic of England-Notts.
    Immigration Aug 1904 Quebec City, Quebec, Canada Female 21 1883 England Parisian -Margaret Than? as destination.

HildaW likes this.
  10. Ma-dotcom

@janetbooth :_ Lyne. I wonder then if that refers to a Florence Aline Lyne
    in Washington Petitions for natralisation-1904-1991?
    (Link to Ancestry removed)
    Can't read any further on Ancestry to see if Aline is really Alice.-bother!!

HildaW likes this.
  11. janetbooth

And I am a complete and utter idiot as I misread the first marriage registration because. on going back to it afterwards, his name is Harold LYNE - where did I get Henry from!!

Well spotted Wendy re Grace. I followed through two marriage registrations for Ethel & Grace POYSER between 1901 & 1911 both in Nottingham, but neither seem to be Hilda's Ethel & Grace from the 1911 census records. Oh even more well spotted Wendy, you get an A* for Florence Aline!

Washington Petition for Naturalization dated 11 October 1952
    Florence Aline LYNE nee POYSER of 6709 56th So, Seattle, King, Wash., Housewife, born 20 June 1895 at Upper Broughton, Leicestershire, England, complexion: Fair, eyes: grey, colour of hair: br-grey, height 5 feet, weight: 115 pounds, no distinguishing marks. Husband's name: Harold LYNE, married 31 July 1919 at Erdington, Birmingham. He was born at Rhyl, North Wales on 21 May 1896 and entered the US at New York on 12 August 1952. They have no children.

Janet

12. HildaW

HildaW Well-Known Member

Hi all, sooo grateful for your help, millions of thanks to you all. I looked for all his children to see if they were mis-enumerated in 1911 and in US & Canada but no luck, hence I have all this extraneous info which I would not normally include in a basic search for a friend's tree (leave that up to them if they want to)
    Yes, Florence did marry Harold Lyne in Aston Warwickshire (he worked for the air defence ministry). She died in 1989 in Seattle
    Grace married Thomas Smithson in Canada (he was born in Canada so assume she went there and then met him but how is anyone's guess) he farmed in Battleford, Round Valley, Saskatchewan - I think her destination should read Montreal, Margaret Than makes no sense unless it was the name of the person she was going to live with/or work for on first arrival?
    brother Richard Harold was with Grace and family in 1904 and after that can't find until death in the Calgary Herald indexes 1974 and not sure if it's him anyway.
    Kate went to SA (it's her descendant that I am doing the tree for) but neither Kate nor her future husband Arthur Fletcher on any passenger list
    Maud Elizabeth who is not on the 1901 census with parents but suddenly appears being enrolled in a school in London late April 1901 and after than nothing.
    There was an older child Ethel bc1880 Sneiton age 21 in the 1901 census with Richard & Betsey and can't find her after that, but not bothered.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  13. janetbooth

Florence A LYNE sailed 1st Class aboard the "Media" which left Liverpool on 4 October 1952 and arrived at New York on 11 October 1952. Her forwarding address was c/o Mr C L EGTVEDT, Lakewood Avenue, Seattle 14. That's interesting because they both appear in the Seattle City Directory for 1942:

LYNE Harold (Florence A) Inspr BACo h2063 41st Av N

Then there is a gap until the 1953 City Directory:

LYNE Harold (Florence A) eng Boeing h6709 56th av S

Social Security Death Index record for Florence A LYNE of 98118 Seattle, King, Washington, born 20 June 1895 and died 20 November 1989, her date of death being confirmed by a Washington Death Index record.

I can confirm what Wendy found for you re Grace POYSER via Ancestry's Canadian Passenger Lists:

3rd class aboard the "Parisian" arriving at Montreal on 13 August 1904, Grace POYSER, aged 21, Domestic, born England, last residence Notts, but I think she is going to a Margaret MANN or MARR.

Janet

HildaW and Ma-dotcom like this.
  14. janetbooth

The 1906 census of Saskatchewan shows Richard POYSER boarding with brother in law & sister Grace and states that he arrived in Canada in 1904, so I wonder if he came over with sister Grace, not that I have managed to find a Passenger List record for him so far.

Janet

HildaW likes this.
  15. Ma-dotcom

Look for a
    Richard Powcer

HildaW likes this.
  16. janetbooth

I could only find one Canadian Passenger List record for a Richard POWCER on Ancestry, Wendy, and he immigrated in 1908 and was born c1888 in Newfoundland according to the record, so I ruled him out. Have I missed another one??

Hilda, I assume you already have the two baptismal records in Transvaal for Arthur Victor & Phyllis Kate FLETCHER available to view on Family Search? Then I lose track of the FLETCHERs once more and I have so far been unable to find the marriage or any immigration records.

Janet

HildaW likes this.
  17. HildaW

HildaW Well-Known Member

Hi Wendy & Janet, thanks for confirming the info on Florence and Grace, I too looked at the Powcer passenger and discarded it. As for the marriage of Arthur to Kate that too is a mystery.
    They met in Sherwood Forest, don't know when, he went to South Africa - don't know when but I am guessing before 1901 ecause he is not on the 1901 census with mother. Kate sailed - don't know when but at least 9 months before Arthur Victor was born so c and assume married in SA and he then fought in WW1 in German South West Africa and later France.

Janet - silly me I had not thought to look in FamilySearch, thanks a million I now have Arthur Victor's & Phyllis Kate's bapts and exact birthdates

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  18. Ma-dotcom

Sorry to lead you both astray, I was unable to see more & my eyes were a bit past cot-time also.

HildaW likes this.
  19. janetbooth

Been there, done that and got the t-shirt, Wendy!! Hilda, I checked through the whole of the passenger list for the "Parisian" and couldn't see Richard on it so perhaps he emigrated on another ship or he may just have been missed off the record.

I have found a South African Estates Death Index record on Ancestry for an Arthur Victor FLETCHER dated 2 December 1982 at Cape Town High Court Provincial. He left no Will and his wife was a Muriel E FLETCHER - in case you have not seen this.

Janet

HildaW and Ma-dotcom like this.
  20. Ma-dotcom

I did look at a number of 'hits' which were not in any form for Richard Poyser.
    FMP just as wobbly here as in Ancestry.