Robert Gardner 1871 census

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by HildaW, Apr 9, 2019.

1. HildaW

HildaW Well-Known Member

I need help please - Robert Gardner son of Edward and Mary Gardner was a few days old when his father died Jan 1857, a number of children had died during their 6 year marriage, Robert being the only survivor.
    In 1860 mother Mary married James Duff and 2 children were born and died in Q4 1865. In 1861 they are living at 4 Hornby Street, Liverpool (Robert was enumerated as Duff)
    After the death of the two children in 1865:
    1. I cannot find any more information on Mary Duff (previously Gardner nee Tomkinson)
    2. Robert Gardner nor his mother are not with James Duff and his children in 1871 - and I cannot find Robert or his mother in 1871
    Robert is next found 1876 baptising a child Thomas with Sarah Miller reputed to be his wife, they then married in 1878 and I have them and their 12 children from then onwards. His occupation was always Chimney Sweep and in 1881 it is her mother and siblings that are living with Robert and Sarah and their 2 young boys at 89 Smith Street, Kirkdale, West Derby.

Any help locating him in 1871 and the death or whereabouts of mother Mary will be fantastic.

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

I see that the 1861 census says that James came from Scotland and so think that Robert might have been living with James' parents at 3 Craigmore Road, Rothesay, Buteshire in 1871.

Just a thought...

HildaW likes this.
  3. HildaW

HildaW Well-Known Member

Hi Jan, Thank you, we had heard about that many years ago and have never been able to prove or disprove (so it sits on my possible file). If that was him within 4 years he was back in Liverpool/West Derby and working as a Chimney Sweep.

I have another possibility and that was a possible census for the Kirkdale Ragged or Industrial School which I was told about but I was never able to find that census in later years when I had subs and later wondered if it was from an Admission book.

It is extremely likely that if Mary died Robert would have been given into care because Mary's parents and siblings were not financially in a position to care for him. In later years when he and Sarah had 12 children they took in a niece of his and they all lived in a terrace house on Hornby Boulevard

Ma-dotcom and Daft Bat like this.
  4. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Did you notice that 1861 has Robert Duff age 16, son (James?) and then Robert Duff age 4, son (Gardner?). Perhaps some confusion with the two Roberts?

HildaW likes this.
  5. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Ah - scrap that one. According to the Liverpool OPC website, the marriage of James and Mary has James' father as Robert DUFF, Farmer. The 1861 in Rothesay has the Head as John DUFF, Cabinet Wight.

Drat. :(

HildaW likes this.