Robert Goodwin London

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Sis, May 13, 2018.

1. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

My 5 x Great Grandparents Robert & Mary Goodwin lived in Lombard Street, London when his first 3 children were born, 1770 - 1774. By the time his other 2 were born he lived in Great Carter Lane, London. His occupation was that of an an 'Oilman soap/candles/glue etc.' The dreaded trees on Ancestry have him married to a Mary Williams in 1765 at St Clement Danes, Westminster. They also have him baptised in 1744 at St Giles, Cripplegate parents Robert (clogmaker) and Sussanah Goodwin. Robert and Mary have a son Robert, but no daughter that I have found called Sussanah. I just can't work out how they came to this conclusion, other than someone did and the others have just copied it. Your thoughts please.

2. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Well I can find all the info as given on the trees (Robert Goodwine married Susannah Waters - 19/9/1731 - St Pancras), but how they have proved any of the connections is beyond me. Unless there is a will of Robert the clog maker which names his son as Robert the oil man:sceptical:.

3. Sis

Oops sorry should have been that parish. Thanks for looking MM. Thought I may have missed something.

MollyMay likes this.
  4. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Well, the marriage at St Clement Danes certainly exists, Sis. The parish register image shows that Robert GOODWIN, bachelor, & Mary WILLIAMS, spinster, both of the parish married on 5 September 1765. Both signed and at first glance the witnesses do not seem to be obviously related to either party. This marriage is followed by a baptism at St Clement Danes on 10 August 1766 of a daughter Grace. Then I can find another Westminster baptism, this time on 5 May 1771 at St Mary le Strand for a Robert son of Robert & Mary GOODWIN.

However, given that your Robert & Mary GOODWIN had their first 3 children baptised at St Mary Woolnoth and the others at St Gregory by St Paul and, if I have the correct family, Robert snr was buried at St Gregory by St Paul in 1795 and no age given on his burial record, I cannot see how they have made the connection. But, I have 3 daughters baptised at St Gregory by St Paul - Margaret in 1780, Mary in 1782 & Elizabeth Hannah in 1785 - so do I have the correct family?

I cannot find any Wills on Ancestry that seem to be connected to your Robert & Mary at first glance, so I would think it most likely that they picked the nearest marriage they could find in the correct general area and the most likely baptism. Happens quite a lot, doesn't it!

Janet

Flook, MollyMay and Sis like this.
  5. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Bit more information on your Robert, Sis. Newspaper article in the Derby Mercury dated 18 July 1777 under the heading "Bankrupts" to the effect that Robert GOODWIN of Lombard Street, Oilman, to appear at Guildhall - this appears in several other newspapers too. Another article in the Manchester Mercury dated 17 February 1778 under the heading "Bankrupts" that Robert GOODWIN late of Lombard Street, London, Oilman, Dealer & Chapman, to appear at Guildhall on 17 March. Just in case you do not already have this information. However, he must have carried on trading as he appears in Bailey's British Directory for the year 1785 as an oilman soap, candles, glue etc living at 32 Carters Lane and the Wakesfield's Tradesmen Directory of 1790 at 31 Carters Lane carrying on the same sort of business.

Janet

Flook and Sis like this.
  6. Sis

OK sorry, I got a bit confused!o_O

MollyMay likes this.
  7. Sis

Thank you very much Janet. Yes you do have the right family. I forgot about Elizabeth Hannah, who I only found recently. I also haven't found any wills. My thoughts were the same in that they picked the only marriage and baptism they could find in the right time frame!

So, ladies thank you both very much. I shall put this couple to rest, for a while at least.;)

MollyMay likes this.
  8. Sis

Thanks very much Janet, I do have the various newspaper articles, but I don't have the Bailey's British Directory one.

janetbooth likes this.
  9. cesmond

cesmond New Member

Hi Sis, I'.m not sure how to use the formatting here. Robert Goodwin is also my 5ggrandfather. I agree that none of the trees on Ancestry that show ancestors earlier than Robert Goodwin the oilman appear to have any basis. My grandfather said that the London Goodwins on Shoe Lane were originally from Buckinghamshire. I havent found any documentation to support that. Robert's City Freedom record does not say whether he was born outside of London or not. The space on the record meant for that is left blank. The person at Guildhall that I communicated with years back said that the records connected with the livery companies (in Robert's case the Wheelwrights Company) may have information on his date and place of birth.

Sis and GrannyBarb like this.
  10. Sis

Hi cesmond I guess this may be a permanent brick wall, as although there are records of the Wheelwrights Company at the London Metropolitan Archives you can only view them in person. Maybe one day they will put them on line....... :)