Robert Tombs 1820-1895 OXFORDSHIRE

Discussion in 'Oxfordshire' started by vickym, Sep 5, 2015.

1. vickym

vickym Member

Can anyone clear up this mystery for me please?

I have Robert Tombs marrying 3rd qtr 1843 to Sarah Tyler born 1823 Great Milton.
    There is another possibility that he married Sarah Waite (born 1820, Great Milton) in 1842.

In the 1871 Census Sarah is aged 29 Great Milton with a notation "blind", but not in 1861 census. So probably not blind at time of marriage.

Which would be the correct Sarah?

2. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Could this possibly be your Sarah, I know it doesn't help with your question, but it adds a bit to the whole :rolleyes:
    Oxford Chronicle and Reading Gazette 11th April 1846
    Bicester Petty Sessions
    Phyllis Tombs of Weston on the Green, was charged with having assaulted Sarah, the wife of Robert Tombs of the same place, on the 20th March - Dismissed

Ann

vickym likes this.
  3. Steve Bumstead

Steve Bumstead Well-Known Member

Are your dates correct? If Sarah was 29 in 1871, she could not possibly have married in 1842/3

Steve

4. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

1871 census of Great Milton shows Sarah to be aged 48 so therefore born c1823 at Great Milton, so one would conclude from the census that she is more likely to be Sarah TYLER. Also the marriage registered at Thame in 1843 is the correct registration district for Great Milton whereas the one in 1842 gives the registration district of Oxford. However, the only way you are going to be absolutely sure is to either purchase the marriage certificate or look at the actual parish register entries for both marriages as your Robert's occupation is shown as a Carpenter in the census records plus you know his father's name & occupation from the 1841 census where he is living with his parents in Great Milton. A couple of households further up on the page is a Thomas TYLER & family (no Sarah with them) but perhaps an indication of how your Robert & Sarah met? I cannot find any WAITEs or variants in the 1841 census of Great Milton although there are lots in Weston on the Green.

Janet

vickym likes this.
  5. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

Vicky, are you sure that there is a marriage of Robert Tombs and Sarah Waite, or is it just that they have matching references on FreeBMD? There are six other people with those references (Mary Ann Beel, Ann Bonner, Charles Haynes, William Howland, Mary Newitt and James Root) so Robert might have married one of the other women on that list.

I have not had much luck working out who married whom on this list. The only ones I've definitely paired up are James Root and Ann Bonner: their marriage (at Oxford St John's) is announced in a newspaper.

There is a Robert Tombs in Kidlington in 1851 with wife Mary Ann and eldest child aged 6 which would fit nicely with a marriage in the early/mid 1840s. If he's the Robert who married in 1842 then perhaps it was Mary Ann Beel who was his bride . . . and Sarah Waite must then have married either Charles Haynes or William Howland.

6. vickym

vickym Member

Hi Ann

An interesting piece that all helps with humanising dry text history.

Vicky

AnnB likes this.
  7. vickym

vickym Member

Hi Steve,

I messed up when inputting the date,in 1871 she was 48.

Vicky

8. vickym

vickym Member

Me again Janet, and thanks for your detailed reply. I'll investigate more about Thomas Tyler who was living nearby neighbour.

Vicky

9. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

I think, together with Jane's detective work in post 5, we may be able to rule out the 1842 marriage registration in Oxford, as I have found a Charles HAYNES with wife Sarah living in Wootton, Oxfordshire in the 1851 census, eldest child aged 7, which would fit in pretty well with a marriage in 1842. Wife Sarah is shown as born c1816 at Heyford, Oxfordshire, and in the 1841 census of Lower Heyford there is a Sarah WAITE born c1816 who is living with a John WAITE - could be sibling or husband??

Janet

Huncamunca likes this.