Robert Williamson Templeton, Comedian

Discussion in 'Stage & Screen (and Radio too!)' started by crazycatlady22, Mar 28, 2014.

1. crazycatlady22

crazycatlady22 Well-Known Member

This is another on my many brick walls. Robert WILLIAMSON TEMPLETON says that he was born in 1801 Manchester. His wife, Jane [nee France] says that she was born 1804 Manchester. Robert's occupation was Comedian, Jane's occupation was actress/tragedian. Some of their children has been baptized under the name TEMPLETON but others have be baptized under the name WILLIAMSON. They must have been married some time before 1826 because that is the first record that I could find for one of their children - Emma WILLIAMSON born 3 Feb 1826 baptized 20 Aug 1826 St. Mary's Lancaster, Father Robert WILLIAMSON Mother Jane [source: familysearch]. Emma is recorded in the 1841 Census as Emma TEMPLETON age 15. At the time they were living at Pan Street, Prescot, Lancashire. Their other Children, Robert born 1831 Prescot Lancashire [record of birth/baptism not found but marriage record has been found Robert WILLIAMSON occupation comedian age 21 Wits: Robert WILLIAMSON TEMPLETON and JANE WILLIAMSON TEMPLETON], John WILLIAMSON baptised 20 Feb 1828 St Mary Lancashire abode Hardshaw Father Robert WILLIAMSON comedian Mother Jane, James [record of birth/baptism not found. I did find a marriage for James WILLIAMSON occupation musician to Elizabeth Atkinson 23 November 1861 but I don't think that this is the correct James], Samuel [birth/baptism not found]. He is recorded in the 1841 Census as age 5 born Pately Bridge. In the 1861 Census he is recorded as age 21 occupation comedian. William [A.K.A. Willie TEMPLETON [no birth or baptism found]. He was a clown working at Henglers Cirque, not much else is know about him. I have copies of his obits etc but if he is recorded on the Census he must have also been a magician because he got younger and younger for each census. Elizabeth/Clara Elizabeth WILLIAMSON baptised 3 March 1844, Father Robert, Mother Jane. She Married John Francis Scott 7 October 1861. She is recorded as being present with her father at the time of his death and also mentioned in obits. Edwin TEMPLETON born 25 May 1846 Father Robert WILLIAMSON TEMPLETON, occupation comedian Mother Jane [nee France] address Wool Street, Ashton-under-Lyne, Lancashire.

I have lots of newspaper articles about this family, applications to erect a tent, application to put on performances, court records, applications to open and operate theatres both in Lancashire and Yorkshire, Obituaries etc. Also lots of Census records. I just cannot find the original Robert WILLIAMSON TEMPLETON and Jane France. It is possible that TEMPLETON was a stage name and that WILLIAMSON was their original name, but I still cannot find them.

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

3. crazycatlady22

Thank you Jan.

SarahKirstyBee and Daft Bat like this.
  4. janeyf

janeyf New Member

Hi, I've just joined this forum today because I saw your thread through a google search. Robert Williamson Templeton Snr is my 3x great grandfather but, alas, I have also drawn a blank regarding his birth. There are some clues that I have discovered along the way such as:

Willie Templeton being described as the Hibernian Humourist (therefore indicating some kind of Irish connection)?

On my 2x great grandfather's marriage certificate (James Templeton to Elizabeth Atkinson in Glasgow - he was stationed in the Army Barracks there as a bugler with the West Yorkshire Regiment and married just days before their daughter's birth) it says that his father was Robert Templeton and his mother Ann Williamson (?). Although the censuses and other records indicate Jane as his mother, it may well be his grandmother's name.

I have been looking to break down this brick wall for over 10 years now and I'm sure at some point some information will come to light. Good luck with your search, hopefully this Templeton mystery will be solved.
    Kind regards, Jane.

Sue036 likes this.
  5. crazycatlady22

It is so great to hear from you. I had seen the information and kept a record about James Templeton and Elizabeth Atkinson, just in case there was a connection. I will have another look at them again today to see if there might be a connection that I have missed. I will pass on any new information that I find.
    Lesley

6. crazycatlady22

I just wanted to let you know that I have been working through my Templeton records and I haven't found anything definitive yet but I am sure that your Templeton family and my Templeton family are connected somehow. I have been looking through all of the census records that I have and I know that James and Elizabeth had a daughter named Lillie. The biggest problem is that many of the Templetons had a daughter named Lillie. I am not quite sure where to proceed with my searches, but I am going to keep trying.

7. SarahKirstyBee

SarahKirstyBee New Member

Hi Jane!
    I am Robert Williamson Templeton great granddaughter x 5! I’ve just had my family tree done so I’ve found out a bit about the family. I live in Leeds/Bradford area. Where are you based? Perhaps we could exchange some information on him. Feel free to send me a message/email. Sarah

Sue036, Doug, GrannyBarb and 2 others like this.
  8. crazycatlady22

Hi Sarah, My Mother was born in Leeds and my Father was born in Bradford. I now live in Australia. My Grandmother was Agnes Limbert, the daughter of George Limbert and Lily Templeton. I have traced our family tree back to Robert Templeton who was born in 1801 in Lancashire. I would be very happy to make contact and share information. my e-mail is gdavies51(AT)hotmail(DOT)com

Email munged to deter spamming trolls.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2018
    Ma-dotcom likes this.
  9. Sue036

Sue036 Well-Known Member

I'm from a different family in Lancashire but also with a comedian and various musical and theatrical ancestors / relatives. Manchester and Leeds both figure in my tree too. Press reports are very helpful, I've found. Hope you can break down your brick walls!

10. Paul Stobart

Paul Stobart New Member

Hello All,
    My name is Paul Stobart. I am a professional musician and live in London, born in Bradford Yorkshire.
    You may find the following interesting.
    My mother's name was Norma Templeton Williamson b. 1932 Bradford. Her Father was Robert Templeton Williamson b. 1910. His father was Willie T Williamson b.1883. I think his father was Robert T Williamson. I think born in Lancashire.
    There is a possible link to the comedian Robert Templeton Williamson.
    It's otherwise quite strange that the middle name Templeton persisted. My mother and grandfather never talked about their middle names.
    All the best in your discoveries.
    Paul

Ma-dotcom, Doug, Flook and 5 others like this.
  11. Blackmogs

Blackmogs Moderator. General Dogs(cats)body. Staff Member

Hi Paul, welcome to the friendliest forum online. Get posting queries and the tribe will be all over it in a heartbeat!

12. crazycatlady22

Hi Paul, I have been in contact with Sarah [above]. I see that you two are related. She is going to Undercliffe Cemetery and doing some research there. I have shared some information with her and will also be very happy to share with you as well.

Sue036 and Sis like this.