Ross Family on Guernsey

Discussion in 'Channel Islands' started by Alexandra, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Alexandra

Alexandra New Member

Hello to all at Top Dog,

I am searching for further information about a family which is living at Cordier Hill, St Peter Port, Guernsey in the 1851 census. I believe the senior members are my great great grandparents George Alexander Ross, (b. Scotland) and Sarah Ross (nee Clarke) who married 28 January, 1819 at St Paul's, Covent Garden, Middlesex. On Guernsey, George is recorded as the Postmaster. Two daughters, Louisa and Matilda who is married: surname, Deburg, with an unnamed child, Deburg, aged 4 yrs. are living there but the two boys Samuel and George, who appear on the 1841 Census at Lambeth, Surrey on the mainland with the family, are not recorded therein.

If the records match, I have the 1841 Census for Lambeth, Surrey, which records George and Sarah Ross, with four children, Matilda, Louisa, Samuel and George. All children were baptised in Westminster, Middlesex and Kennington, Surrey between 1821 and 1830.

George William Ross, being my great grandfather, married Cordelia Pople in Bloomsbury, St George, 15 March, 1853 and after having two daughters, Ada and Minnie, subsequently immigrated to Victoria, Australia, where they settled in the gold-mining town of Ballarat. He is recorded an being a postal worker. Also, a George W. Ross appears back in England in 1851, St Giles, London as a lodger and clerk in P.O. but it states that he was born on Jersey, Channel Islands, so I am somewhat confused as to the connections to these individuals.

I am in Victoria, Australia and regrettably, there is little known about the family prior to their arrival in Australia, in any living branch of my Ross family. It seems as though no-one was told or no-one knew the history. As a result am turning to you for assistance with the Guernsey family which seems to disappear after the 1851 census.

Hope you can be of assistance,
    Wendy Ross.

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Hello Wendy - welcome to Top Dog C|:-)

Have you contacted the Island Archives in Guernsey to see if they are able to help at all? Also, the Priaulx Library is Guernsey's Family History Research Centre.

Meanwhile, could you post the census references to the entries mentioned above for 1841 and 1851 so that those members who have access may take a peek to see if there are any further clues to be had.

Thank you. :)

3. Alexandra

Alexandra New Member

Hello Jan
    Thank you for your prompt reply. I have had a quick look at your suggestions and notice they both open at the National Archives. I can't see any corresponding family but will peruse in greater length later. I recently have emailed a query to "La Societe Guernesaise" but did not notice that they request a donation, so not sure if I should have done so up front or not. I will wait for a reply from them.

Don't seem to be able to upload the marriage of George Ross and Sarah Clarke.

Will try again in the next message.
    Cheers,
    Wendy Ross

Attached Files:

4. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Sorry, Wendy - I have just deleted the copies of the censuses that you posted as they are only available from commercial websites such as Ancestry or Find My Past. By posting them on an open forum, you would be in breach of their terms and conditions.

Please just post the census references ie: Piece, folio and page numbers. :)

Thank you.

5. Alexandra

Alexandra New Member

:oops: Hope this is OK: Re Censuses:
    No.1: Piece 2530 Page 1. (No Folio Number visible).
    No.2: Piece 1055 Folio 7. Page 10.
    No.3: Piece 1525 Folio 383. Page 44.

Wendy Ross.

Daft Bat likes this.
  6. Alexandra

Alexandra New Member

Just to update my previous post, I received a reply from the La Societe de Guernesaise. Unfortunately they have no further information about the Ross/Deburg family on Guernsey after the 1851 census. No deaths or other records. Still searching on the mainland but no luck yet. There is always the possibility that they emigrated but yet to turn up any records.
    Cheers,
    Wendy