Salvation Army

Discussion in 'Non-conformist Records' started by Stafford, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Stafford

Stafford Well-Known Member

Looking for baptism, burial and marriage records circa 1885 to 1950 for family members living in Staffordshire and Lancashire. I have checked the BMD registers and read the blurb On the Salvation Army - International Heritage Centre - there is no mention of any individual records. Has anyone had any experience researching the Salvation Army?

2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Yes but not helpful ones.

3. MissEllie

MissEllie New Member

Hello,
    Yes I did write to them a while ago, unfortunately they didn't have any 'useful' information as such, but at least I had the courtesy of a reply from them. It's surprising how many people/organisations don't reply to queries.

4. Mutters

Mutters I am not bossy, I just have better ideas.

I did a bit of research for a friend, his parents and many of his family were in the Salvation Army but all their BMDs were just recorded as normal on Free BMD.

I did not need to delve further into their association but I will ask him if he knows if they kept any sort of membership records because I think that is all you might get.

5. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

There is some guidance hidden in the FAQs:

http://www.
    salvationarmy.org.uk/uki/HeritageFAQ

from which it appears that if the local corps is still in existence, it may retain its own 'history books', but that records for closed corps are at the Heritage Centre.

I have never consulted such records myself, so don't know what sort of information you might expect to find.

P.S. sorry, having re-read your original query I see you were asking specifically about baptism, marriage and burial records. I haven't seen reference in my searches to these so far. You would of course be able to get birth, marriage and death certificates in the usual way for post-1837 events.

6. Stafford

Stafford Well-Known Member

Thank you all.
    Huncamunca this confirms what I've found so far. I had hoped to find records so I could trace members of the Cox family. Back to the drawing board...

7. Keith

Keith Member

I was lucky. My wife's grandfather was in the S.A. from an early date and rose to become a Commissioner. I got in touch with them and visited, as they had a lot of photos of him, including early family ones that we had not seen before. They also had a lot of printed articles written by him. They were very helpful.

I do know that their H.Q. In Victoria Street in London was bombed during the war and much was lost. I am not sure that they ever had much material about the 'Rank and File'. One of Grandfather's daughters was a Major and in charge of a S.A. Home for unmarried mothers in Hackney. They had nothing about her.

Keith

Stafford likes this.
  8. V SholinSmallwood

V SholinSmallwood New Member

The Salvation Armycame into being in the 19th century to help the "down-trodden." Originally, the organization tried to help those people go to established churches, but when that didn't work out so well, the founder, William Booth, created his own church. The purpose was to evangelize. Creating baptismal-type records was not a priority. In fact, they were hit and miss, and kept in the local branches (corps).

An exception to that (to some extent) are the records for its officers (ordained ministers). Usually these consists of appointments. It was not until the 20th century was well underway, however, that these records were very consistent. If your Salvationist was an officer, you may be able to obtain a service record for him or her by writing to one of the Salvation Army's archives.

If your ancestor was an active soldier (lay person), you may be able to find some stories about that person in the official organ of the Salvation Army, the "War Cry." Often there were stories of its pioneers, for instance. Again, contact one of the Salvation Army's archives for this kind of information.

Local corps may also have some information, such as the names of officers and lay ministers who served, or babies who were dedicated to God (equivalent of a christening). There may also be lists at the corps level of people who became Senior Soldiers (adult members) or names of people who served in the band or were members of the Corps Cadets (Bible and doctrine classes for teenagers).

Virginia Sholin Smallwood,
    California, USA

Philippa, Stafford, Sis and 2 others like this.