Samuel BATEMAN (Bateman, Batman, Battman)

Discussion in 'Gloucestershire' started by Ma-dotcom, Jan 1, 2021.

1. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

You know the expression " asking for a friend" ?
    Here I am asking for a cousin who is trying to help a friend. I have put all on a note to copy here in case I end up leaving mid sentence. I've left cousin's words to begin & added what I was able to find. Any help would be so appreciated.
    The Parishes of Bitton, Hanham, Kingswood and Oldland are grouped together as they were created one from the other. The Bitton records are likely to be in any of them.
    Some Gloucestershire records are in the Gloucestershire Archives in Gloucester and some are in the Bristol Archives

The only record I’ve found for Samuel BATEMAN is his name given as ‘Father’ in the Parish Register when his four sons, John William, Samuel and Philip were baptized on the same day. i.e. 30th June, 1739 at St Mary’s Church, Bitton, Gloucestershire.
    No Mother’s name given.
    The year is 1739 but how long has he been married?

1. I don’t know when Samuel was born or who and when he married.

2. Because of this I don’t know how many children were born.

3. I don’t know Samuel’s date of death. (apart from the one found on FamilySearch)

Lots of info on Public Member Trees on Ancestry – how accurate is it though ? Very few original documents have been added to back things up.
    Two different names for Samuel’s wife given by various people – Mary ILES and Mary YOUNG.
    I can’t find either marriages. No idea of dates for them.

Baptised

John baptized…….30th June, 1739 …………… St Mary’s Church, Bitton, Gloucestershire……….. with his three brothers – William, Samuel and Philip.
    Sons of Samuel BATMAN (as spelt) - NO MOTHER’S NAME GIVEN

Married
    Eleanor/Elinor BRITTON (Britten)
    19th April 1767
    St Mary’s Church, Bitton, Gloucestershire
    5 Children
    George and John
    both baptised………. 11th June, 1769 ………… Hanham Abbots Church, St George (in the Parish of Bitton)
    Joseph and Arthur
    both baptized………. 23rd June 1776………..Hanham Abbots Church, St George (in the Parish of Bitton)
    Moses
    baptized………………. 11th October 1779………….. Parish Record baptism at Oldham and Hanham Church (in the Parish of Bitton)

Name:-Samuel Bateman
    Event Type:-Burial
    Event Date:-15 Oct 1799
    Event Place:-Bitton, Gloucestershire, England
    Event Place (Original):
    Bitton, Gloucester, England
    I also found a Baptism over in Sevenhampton, but that may be too far away. Not much else comes up for Bitton area.
    Name: Sammeuell Batman (sic)
    Event Type: Baptism
    Baptism Date: 17 Feb 1713
    Baptism Place: Sevenhampton, Gloucestershire, England
    Father: Sammeuell Batman
    Mother: Ann Batman
    Source Citation
    Gloucestershire Archives; Gloucester, Gloucestershire; Gloucestershire Church of England Parish Registers; Reference Number: P285 IN 1/1
    Source Information
    Ancestry.com. Gloucestershire, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1813 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2014.
    Original data: Gloucestershire Anglican Parish Registers. Gloucestershire Archives, Gloucestershire, England.

....I did see a 'tree' on Ancestry which had promise, but all of the siblings were different. John Bateman Jan 30 1740 father Samuel.-Bateman Family Tree
    Other Baptisms found-
    Name:-Isaac Bateman
    Event Type:-Christening
    Event Date:-4 Dec 1727
    Father's Name:-Saml. Bateman
    Isaac was also the name of a sibling of Samuel, 'twin brother to Abraham' in Anc. tree b. 1702
    name: -Ann Batman
    Event Type:-Christening
    Event Date:-21 Apr 1754
    Event Place (Original): -Bitton, Gloucester, England
    Father's Name:-Samuel Batman
    That's as far as I was able to contribute. Can anyone else find a birth or marriage for Samuel please. I used only Anc. & Family Search but had busy things happening so concentration not at peak.
    Thanks for reading. ;)

2. Jellylegs

Jellylegs Well-Known Member

Marriage of Samuel BATMAN to Mary ISLES (transcription only from FMP) on 6 July 1752 at St Mary, Bitton, Gloucestershire.

3. Ma-dotcom

@Jellylegs , Thank you Annie, I wonder if this is the marriage for the parents of Ann, Christened 1754, it seems rather late in the peice for it to beSamuel father of boys Baptised in 1739 although perhaps it had slipped his mind that a marriage should take place.

I rather fear that some of these earlier records may no longer exist.

Jellylegs likes this.
  4. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Have a look at bittonfamlies dot com. Lots of info there with Bateman being mentioned in the families section.
    The Rev Dr Robert Bateman being born Bitton went down in the Titanic. He conducted the band playing ‘Nearer my God to Thee’ as it went down :(
    Just a bit of trivia that doesn’t really help.
    However....there are quite a few Samuel Batman/Bateman deaths on FS ranging from 1719 to 1805
    Also baptisms Mary Bateman born 1/1/1721 father Samuel and Mary
    Mary 15/1/1719 Samuel and Mary
    Isaac 4/12/1727 father Samuel
    Could Samuel have been married twice, 2 Mary’s.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  5. Ma-dotcom

@Archie's Mum Thank you Sue, this may prove interesting reading, I shall certainly pass it along. It may include mention of later families connected down the line. Cousin had found more but was only hung up with Samuel at this time after spending 5 weeks searching.
    More interesting Bapts. & the possiblity of 2nd marriage. More to look into. Goodstuff Sue.:)

6. Archie's Mum

OK So now I have found, through a tree that John BTeman married Elinor Britten in 1767, they had son Joseph. Joseph married in 1797, forgot to write who he married but their son William Bateman born 1807 died in Tasmania in 1880. Me thinks if he was in Tasmainia he didn’t go willingly. Will check out Records there for him which might lend some light.
    Yes. Convicted Monmouth 1828born Bitton. Transported for life. Sir Charles Forbes 29/3/1830.
    But this is just the John who married Elinor. No more coming to light on any other Samuel so far.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    Ma-dotcom likes this.
  7. Archie's Mum

Code:
    https://www.scribd.com/document/294173390/Bateman-Family-PDF
    Go for your life. The whole tree, 61 published pages back to Thomas Battman and Elinor Graham from 1656.
    Samuel married Mary Young. They have on the tree 17 children, their son Samuel baptised 1739 married Mary Isles. There are 5 sons named Samuel in these 17 kids. 4 died young. All these kids are baptised Bitton
    Every will available in this family is published in these pages.
    Children to Samuel and Mary Isles are: James 1752, William 1764, Elias 1770 and Mary 1774.
    Your friend will be absorbed for hours.:D

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
    Ma-dotcom likes this.
  8. Archie's Mum

Quite enthralled to find another convict, Arthur Bateman came to NSW on the Gatton.
    Great reading and seems well researched. Includes all queries that may come up.
    And yes, Rev Dr Robert James Bateman (Titanic) is there on one branch.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  9. Ma-dotcom

Oh Gosh & well I never, etc. Sue you have been so busy & fruitful-in the nicest way-. Have passed all aong to cousin with website for her to check all. Now waiting her 'okay' to post her replies so far, -all good. sorry must leave fora bit

Archie's Mum and Daft Bat like this.
  10. Archie's Mum

11. Ma-dotcom

Response from my Cousin, one of the loveliest people I could ever hope to meet & have as family.

'What a lot of busy bees they are on the Forum. Certainly help folk out. '

'Please can you thank all those on the Forum who kindly spent time in looking things up for me. Much appreciated. '

Thank you all so much xx

mugwortismy cat and Daft Bat like this.