Samuel Durk and Sarah Kitch?

Discussion in 'Somerset' started by The Artful Dodger, Feb 3, 2015.

1. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

Apart from the death of Elizabeth Kitch c.1844 there is nothing more on the children that I need.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  2. The Artful Dodger

Now to the parents of Samuel Durk - baptised 29 March 1812, West Cranmore and also [I believe to be his sister] Jane 30 August 1816 in Creech St. Michael.
    The father was named Moses Durk and for Samuel the mother was named Betty and for Jane - Elizabeth.

Personally, I have not been able to find confirmation of birth/baptism, marriage or death except for the death of Elizabeth Durk 1st q. 1858 - Taunton vol.5c, page 337.

I know that by 1841 Moses had died and that Elizabeth was living with her married daughter Jane and her husband and children and was still with the family in 1851 census.

I have found 3 trees on Ancestry and each one only has one child listed. I won't mention the tree owners by name.

Tree #1:
    Has Moses s/o Francis Durk and Ann Griffin, married to Elizabeth Coleman and son Samuel. No dates, no sources and nothing developed further.

Tree #2
    Has Moses [no parents], born 1774, married to Elizabeth Coleman-Bass [1773-1858] a daughter Jane [1816] and a death for Moses 1819. No sources.

Tree #3
    Has Moses s/o Francis and Ann, born 1774 in Stoke St. Mary, Somerset, married Elizabeth Coleman 1802 in Curry Mallet, Somerset and daughter Hannah born 1804. This one has no sources prior to 1851 census where Hannah is married to James Henry Green.

I am currently awaiting responses from one or more of these folks.

3. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

27 September 1832 at Bridgwater John KITCH & Ann Parkhouse JEFFERIS (Somerset Marriages Transcripts) - any good?

Janet

The Artful Dodger likes this.
  4. janetbooth

Either way, Anne DURK would appear to have been buried 22 November 1807 at Creech, aged 0. I can't find a burial for Samuel born c1807. Just a thought but could he have been privately baptised and then baptised again into the church in 1812 although it does seem an awfully big gap. Then again the National Burial Index record at Creech St Michael for a Samuel DARK in 1879 does give his age as 67 as does his 1871 census record and I'm blowed if I can find any other Samuel DURK/DARK's in Somerset in the 1871 census to account for the other 2 death registrations in 1878 and 1879 at Taunton reg district which give an approximate birth date of 1805. Oh, hang on, there is a Samuel DURKE in the 1871 of Clayton, Yorkshire, born c1805 in Somerset, not known where - perhaps it is he.

Janet

5. The Artful Dodger

A tree on Ancestry has Ann Parhouse Jefferis as d/o Charles and Peggy [Margaret] with no surname for the mother which happened in St. Marys Church, Bridgwater on 19 September 1810. They have no source.

A search on both A and FMP has also shown no trace.

6. The Artful Dodger

Have you considered this one found on FMP - Samuel Durk buried in Stoke St. Mary, no age in 1811?

As for Anne [with mother Anne] baptised 13 September 1807 could the name of the mother be a transcription error or a mistake in entering the mother's name?

7. burt

burt Where there's a will there's a way!

There is a marriage at Bridgwater [St Mary]:-
    1832 Sep 27 John KITCH bach otp & Ann Parkhouse JEFFERISS spin otp banns.
    This is from my Marriage Index of the Bath &Wells Diocese.
    Gerald aka burt

The Artful Dodger likes this.
  8. SandieHall

SandieHall Active Member

I'm going to throw a spanner into the works now so here goes

I have 3 people named Moses Durk

Moses Durk married to Elizabeth
    children 1. Samuel 1807 death ?
    2. Samuel 1812 married Sarah Kitch
    3.Jane 1816 married James Harvey
    4.possible son Moses Durk 1820 in Somerset, England
    Death age 48, October 1868 in Taunton, Somerset

2.Samuel & Sarah
    Son Moses Durk 1841 in Creech St. Michael, Somerset
    Death age 44, October 1885 in Swansea, Glamorganshire

FreeBMD have for Moses Durk
    1 Birth
    Births Sep 1841 Durk Moses Taunton

2 Deaths
    Deaths Dec 1868 Durk Moses 48 Taunton
    Deaths Dec 1885 DURK Moses 45 Swansea

3 Marriages
    Marriages Jun 1863 DURK Moses Taunton
    Marriages Sep 1864 Durk Moses Cardiff
    Marriages Dec 1871 DURK Moses Cardiff

9. The Artful Dodger

I am not sure how to proceed with what you have discovered Sandie. Call me a little slow.:confused:.

10. janetbooth

I have been trying to find the baptism of Ann Parkhouse JEFFERIS/JEFFERIES with a conspicuous lack of success. My first thought was that she may have been illegitimate and that a Peggy PARKHOUSE married Charles JEFFERIS after the birth of Ann but that was soon shot down when I discovered the marriage of Charles JEFFERIS & Peggy Syms GRABHAM, a widow, at Bridgwater on 5 June 1807. I then thought perhaps she was a Peggy PARKHOUSE before her marriage to Mr GRABHAM but found a marriage on 9 May 1798 at Wellington for a James GRABHAM & a Peggy Simes ALLEN, spinster, so that theory went up in smoke as well. FreeREG have a baptism for a Charles JEFFERIES on 21 July 1813 at Bridgwater St Mary, parents Charles & Peggy JEFFERIES, Butcher. Unfortunately baptisms pre 1812 are "in progress" and not available as yet.

Not much more help, so far.

Janet

11. The Artful Dodger

I have yet to find a baptism for Moses born about 1820, however I have found various references to a Moses in census records and also the marriage in Taunton Apr.-Jun. q. 1863.

I really don't know what to make of it, though

12. The Artful Dodger

While there has been no response so far, I tend to think that this is more likely to be consistent with what I have.

I will post my findings shortly.

13. The Artful Dodger

If I am correct in what I will post re: post #32, I think I can discount the Moses Durk born c. 1820 and the death in Taunton in 1868.

14. The Artful Dodger

My Samuel Durk was baptised in West Cranmore 29 March 1812. Father - Moses and mother - Betty.
    Jane Durk was baptised in Creech St. Michael 30 August 1816. Father - Moses and mother - Elizabeth.
    I believe these 2 are brother and sister.

What is a little off-putting is the fact that West Cranmore is situated 3.5 miles from Shepton Mallet, whereas Creech St. Michael is located 3 miles east of Taunton. Possibly Moses worked in the area of West Cranmore and moved to Creech St. Michael for work or other reasons.

2 earlier baptisms occurred in West Cranmore on 13 September 1807:
    Samuel - Father - Moses and mother - Elizabeth
    Anne - Father Moses and mother - Anne
    I believe these 2 are brother and sister and connected to the above 2 children - in spite of the different name for the mother.
    Nothing definite has been found on these 2 after the date of baptism.

Looking at deaths for an Elizabeth/Betty Durk in the area of Creech St. Michael, I found an Elizabeth Durk - no age - Jan.-Mar. q. 1858 in Taunton R.D. vol. 5c, page 337. On FreeReg. I found a burial for an 83 year old Elizabeth DARK [as transcribed] in Creech St. Michael. Creech St. Michael is approx. 3 miles east of Taunton.

1851 census - H0107/1922/400/58 - Creech St. Michael - Elizabeth is found. She is listed as mother-in-law to James Harvey. James Harvey married Jane Durk on 28 April 1838. Elizabeth is a Widow. Her place of birth is indicated as Staple Fitpaine, which is approx. 5 miles south of Taunton R.D
    Elizabeth was with the family of James and Jane Harvey in 1841 - and James and Jane had a son born 1839 and named Moses Durk Harvey.

What became of Betty/Elizabeth's husband Moses? A 45 year old male - Moses DARK [as transcribed] on FreeReg was buried in Creech St. Michael on 15 January 1819. This would make his birth year c. 1773.

I have been able to find a baptism for a Moses Durk - as follows:
    Moses - s/o. Francis and Jane - baptised 5 June 1774 in Stoke St. Mary. Stoke St. Mary is approx. 2 miles east of Taunton.
    Moses had a brother - named Aaron - who married a Jane Keech[sic] in Curry Mallet on 26 December 1803 and Moses was a witness.

I have also found the marriage of Moses - at least I think it is him. In Curry Mallet on 27 March 1802 a man - given name mis-transcribed but surname DURK - a sojourner married Elizabeth Coleman - a resident of the parish of Curry Mallet. I have not found a baptism in Curry Mallet for an Elizabeth Coleman, however there is a baptism for a Betty Colman - d/o James and Sarah - on 13 March 1774 in Staple Fitzpaine.

All in all I think this supports the conclusion that I have reached.

15. The Artful Dodger

Ignoring the trees on Ancestry as well as the baptisms in West Cranmore also found on Ancestry - I have resolved - in my mind anyway - the entire family of Moses and Elizabeth/ Betty. Details are:
    Samuel s/o Moses and Elizabeth. Born 10 April 1805 and baptised 13 September 1807 in Creech St. Michael. Died and was buried in Stoke St. Mary on 22 September 1811.
    Anne d/o Moses and Elizabeth. Born 22 July 1807 and baptised 13 September 1807 in Creech St. Michael. Died and was buried in Creech St. Michale age 3 months on 22 November 1807.
    Samuel s/o Moses and Elizabeth. Born 29 January 1812 and baptised 29 March 1812 in Creech St. Michael. Married Sarah Kitch - witnesses James and Jane HARVEY 4 June 1838 in Stoke St. Mary. They had 9 children. Samuel died and was buried in Creech St. Michael on 21 December 1879.
    Jane d/o Moses and Elizabeth. Baptised 30 August 1816 in Creech St Michael. Married James HARVEY 28 April 1838. Still working on number of children. James Harvey died and was buried in Creech St. Michael on 17 August 1874. Jane died and was buried in Creech St. Michael on 23 February 1901.

16. The Artful Dodger

There were 8 children born to James and Jane HARVEY. The only one I have not accounted for is Anna Maria - baptised 17 February 1850 in Creech St. Michael and with her parents and siblings in 1851 census - H0107/1922/400/58.

I would like to finish this line off.

Thanks

17. Patb

Patb New Member

I have those details. EDWIN Harvey was my grandfather

Doug, Daft Bat and GrannyBarb like this.
  18. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Welcome in Patb, lovely when new folk come in to meet rellies.C|:-)