Sarah & Anna Maria TYRRELL/TERRELL

Discussion in 'Dorset' started by mugwortismy cat, Aug 26, 2013.

1. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

I am trying to trace an Anna Maria TYRRELL from the Sydling St Nicholas baptism records that I have been transcribing.

She was the illegitimate daughter of Sarah TYRRELL of Up-Cerne; she was Received into the Church at Sydling on 26th Oct 1845, according to the vicar's note this was following a Private baptism at the Cerne Union workhouse. I found the initial baptism in the Cerne Abbas registers (although not noted as a Private baptism) dated 28th Jun 1845. I have found her birth registration in the Dorchester registration district, indexed as TERRELL in Apr-Jun 1845.

I cannot trace her any further than this.

I attempted to trace her mother Sarah instead.

In Dorchester RD in Jul-Sep 1847 there is a marriage of a Sarah TYRRELL to a Moses BAZLE/BAZELL. I couldn't locate this marriage in the Dorset Banns & Marriages on Ancestry, so initially assumed that it was a civil or non-conformist ceremony. However, in attempting to track down Moses BAZLE I did find a record of the marriage in the England & Wales Marriages 1538-1940, and confirmed also via the OPCDorset site in the Bishops' Transcripts. The marriage took place on 2 Jul 1847 at Buckland Newton, Sarah's age given as 20 [i.e. born c1827], her father Robert, a labourer.

I couldn't find Sarah and Moses in 1851 and then discovered that Moses had died in Oct-Dec 1849. I couldn't find Sarah BAZLE/BAZELL alone in 1851 either, so looked for another marriage. Accordingly, I found on FreeBMD the following:

Marriages Mar 1850
    Bazel Sarah Dorchester & 8 99
    marrying which of these four men?!
    Curme John
    Dunning William
    Old Isaac
    Thorne William

I really hoped she married Isaac OLD, and by some strange quirk she did, on the 3rd Feb 1850 at Cerne Abbas. However by the 1851 census
    (Class: HO107; Piece: 1858; Folio: 735; Page: 60) Sarah had died and Isaac is a widower with his parents; there is no sign of Anna Maria.

I then considered that she would more likely be with her maternal grandparents than with step-father number 2. So tried to trace Robert TYRRELL/TERRELL.

I believe that this is the family in 1841:

Robert Terrell 30 Ag Lab
    Elizabeth Terrell 30
    Sarah Terrell 11
    George Terrell 6
    Frances Terrell 4
    Triphena Terrell 3
    John Terrell 2

Class: HO107; Piece: 283; Book: 11; Civil Parish: Cerne Abbas; County: Dorset; Enumeration District: 2; Folio: 26; Page: 5; Line: 5

and if this is correct, you see that Sarah is rather younger than she said at her first marriage, with a yob c1830, and Anna Maria being born when she was approx. 15 years old.

I suspect I am just over tired and over frustrated, but I cannot find Robert TERRELL and family in 1851, except for Tryphena being a 14 year old servant living away from home. I believe that the family should be findable and are likely to be in Cerne Abbas or nearby, I think that Robert is probably one of the deaths indexed in 1856.

so my questions -- (1) can anyone trace Anna Maria TYRRELL at any point after 1845? (2) can anyone find Robert TYRRELL in 1851?

Thank you;)

2. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

This looks like Robert in 1851 HO107 1858 721 33
    at Duck Street, Cerne Abbas
    Robert b1809 ag lab FMP has the name as Ferell
    Eliza b1809
    Hannah b1833 - deaf and dumb
    Fanny b1834
    John b1840
    George 1842
    Robert b1844
    Thomas b1850

So no Anna Maria with them

mugwortismy cat likes this.
  3. mugwortismy cat

Thank you MollyMay

I wonder what has happened to Anna Maria. I don't see a death for her. Of course she may have been 'adopted' and taken another name. At the moment I am at a loss as to what to try next. Perhaps I should sleep on it ...

4. MollyMay

Looking at all the Anna Maria's in Dorset born 1845 +/- 2
    the only one that stands out as not belonging with the family named, is
    HO107 1848 294 18 - Faulston, Bishopstone
    Where there is an Anna Maria Harvey b1845 Handley - a visitor with James and Alice Williams (age 62 & 60).
    I do not see a birth for Anna Maria Harvey on FreeBMD, but there is an Ann Harvey Dec qtr 1844 in Wimborne reg district.
    Clutching at straws here.:)

5. mugwortismy cat

Thank you, but don't think she can be mine :( Wimborne is the right RD for Handley so the Ann and Anna Maria are probably the same girl

sometimes straws are all there are o_O but if an Ann can become an Anna Maria maybe my Anna Maria is now a plain Ann -- we'll never find her, will we? :confused:

6. MollyMay

I tried 1861 for Anna Maria's no surname, but nothing jumped out at me.

I will have another look in the morning, perhaps something will come to me after some sleep - don't give up yet;)

7. MollyMay

A thought before I retire.

I have had a look for Ann Harvey b1845 on the 1851 census and there is one in Cranbourne
    HO107 1854 202 3

Not being familiar with the geography I googled and Cranbourne is not a million miles from Handley - so perhaps this is the child registered in Wimborne?

Yet another straw :),

I must away now - good night.

8. mugwortismy cat

9. MollyMay

Well Puddy Tat, I have spent a fruitless afternoon on the trail of Anna Maria. I thought I had cracked it when I found an Anna b1845 d/o Mary Mullett with another daughter Susanna Bazle. No such luck there is a birth reg for Anna Jane Mullett. So near and yet so far:rolleyes:.
    I have looked at every Anna on the 1851 & 61 census in Dorset, so either Anna became Ann (or something completely different) or she left the county. I am beginning to think we may never find her - sadly.

If you wanted to find Moses Bazle's baptism (1822), it is on Anc but indexed with the Surname Buckland (where he lived!) parents William and Elizabeth, I found 2 siblings - Ann 1820 and Jane 1818, but no further trace of these sisters- I had hoped one of them might have taken Anna Maria.

10. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

Anna M. Terrell (16, born Cerne Abbas) was a house servant in Bull Lane, Maiden Newton, in 1861. The head of household was John H. Smith, Independent Minister of Maiden Newton Chapel, Bachelor of Arts. He was married with wife Isabella and a 1 year old boy.
    (RG 9/1356, f.113, p.19; first name transcribed as Anne on FMP)

11. mugwortismy cat

MollyMay, thank you for trying so hard to find her, you may even have put in more effort than I did, much appreciated indeed.

Huncamunca, thank you so much, that must be her!

Huncamunca likes this.
  12. MollyMay

Well done Huncamunca, that does look like the missing Anna Maria:)

Huncamunca likes this.
  13. Huncamunca

The finding of Anna in 1861 has only postponed the mystery of what happened to her.

Perhaps she remained in service with the same family and moved with them? (some non-conformist ministers got transferred to different posts regularly).

I did wonder whether she might be the 23 year old Hannah Terrell whose death was registered in the Dorchester district in the last quarter of 1868 (Hannahs can easily become Annas and vice versa) . . . but this young woman could be someone completely different.

mugwortismy cat and Ma-dotcom like this.
  14. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

Have you been able to rule out Anna/Hannah/Annie/Anna Maria (depending on census) Merry married to a Henry? In Pallington Aff Puddle in 1881. Piece 2102 F 9 p11 crown copyright

15. mugwortismy cat

And we still don't know where she was in 1851 :(

It is something to ponder. I cannot find a burial in the Parish Registers so there are no extra clues, and am very reluctant to buy a certificate

No, I cannot rule her out. I cannot locate a likely marriage for this couple.

===

I had been toying with the idea of trying to follow through on this marriage found on FreeBMD, but it seems unlikely to be her, although this is the only record of an Anna Maria TORWELL/TOREVELL:

Marriages Jun 1879
    COBB Emily Wareham 5a 513
    STICKLEY William Wareham 5a 513
    Toms Samuel Shepherd Wareham 5a 513
    Torevell Anna Maria Wareham 5a 513
    Torwell Anna Maria Wareham 5a 513

===

16. Huncamunca

Samuel Shepherd Toms married Emily Cobb at Bere Regis, according to a tree here:

http://
    archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/DORSET/2004-07/1088878932

which leaves William Stickley and Anna Maria as a likely pair. There is a family tree here, which gives Anna's surname as Torreville and says she was born about 1860 in Bere Regis.

http://www.
    terrys.org.uk/charts/s/stick401.htm

So perhaps she is the 11 year old Annie(?) M. Torevell in Bere Regis in 1871 with grandfather Benjamin Torevell (RG 10/1997, f.50, p.2).

17. mugwortismy cat

Thank you all for your help.

I am going away for a think. I know that she grew into adulthood and perhaps that is all I need to know ...

This is just a 'small' project born out of my transcriptions and a brief discussion regarding Private baptism. I have extracted all the identifiable private baptisms, and am trying to discover what happened to the babies. It is only a small subset of nearly 1600 baptisms -- there are only about 85 of interest.

Still 85 is a lot to trace, and I maybe shouldn't get carried away, or allow you lovely people to get carried away either ;)

18. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I may have found Sarah and Anna in 1851 :)
    HO107/1858 Folio 615 Page 2 (copyright The National Archives)
    West Street Sydling, Dorset
    Sarah Turrell - head - u - 27 - Ag Lab - Dorset Up Cerne
    Hannah - daur - u - scholar - Dorset Cerne
    Alfred - son - u - at home - Dorset Sydling
    Looks like them with the addition of little Alfred......

Ann

19. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

The birth of Henry Alfred Terrell was registered September qtr 1849 in Dorchester.

Ann

20. mugwortismy cat

Ann

I'll have to look into that ...

So, it seems that I was travelling down a blind alley from the start? Red herrings all over the place.