Sarah Christian Abbott - one person or two?

Discussion in 'Surrey' started by annabel, Nov 19, 2020.

1. annabel

annabel Puts the Heart into Hertfordshire

A little puzzle - I have in my tree Sarah Christine Abbott born 1858 in St Brides, parents Frederick John Abbott a licensed victualler, and Sarah Poynter Abbott nee Stebbings.

I'm following a DNA lead, and I know that this line is a relation to me on my Abbott line.
    On this lead I have a Sarah Christian Abbott born about 1859 Newington. She married Edward Castle in 1877 in Walworth. Her father is Joseph Abbott, a solicitor which seems a bit unlikely, and deceased. She's with him in 1881 at RG11; Piece: 543; Folio: 22; Page: 8 and 1891 at RG12; Piece: 493; Folio: 9; Page: 11

I know that Frederick had left the family by 1878, so that might have some baring on things. But I cannot find a Sarah with a likely father Joseph to prove she is a different person. Can anyone find a clue I've missed?

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

What was Edward's father's occupation on the marriage certificate? Could it be that she was trying to "big her father up"?

Elsiesgirl and Ma-dotcom like this.
  3. annabel

I'm not sure

Screenshot 2020-11-19 at 13.31.42.png

Murfomurf likes this.
  4. Londoner

Londoner Will always roll up her sleeves and dig around

I noticed that her baptism has her as Sarah Christine. There is a poor law removal order in 1868 where she is listed with a 5 yr old Joseph William.
    When her mother remarried, to William Cakebread, she is shown as Sarah Poynter Stebbing, spinster, with Abbott crossed out. Her father's name was Joseph, perhaps where Sarah C got the name she used when she married Edward.
    Her sister Harriet Maude however, knew her father was Frederick, a publican!

Elsiesgirl likes this.
  5. Londoner

Transcription not good but this looks like Joseph William and his family. The daughters names indicate the family connection
    1891 RG 12 piece 113 folio 151 page 40
    Joseph W 28, Annie E 27, Chrestone A 6, Ethel Poynte 4, Winefred M 10 months.

6. annabel

Thanks for finding her mother's marriage, that does look right. On both her marriages her dad is down as John Samuel Poynter Stebbing though, variously a gentleman or a "collector". I suppose Sarah Christine could have used her brother's name (who was a hairdresser), but would both her sister Harriet and brother Joseph have used the correct father's name and occupation and not her, if she is indeed the same Sarah Christine? She was the eldest of the 3 siblings so she should have known

7. Londoner

My mistake, it was Frederick's father who was Charles Joseph.
    I think it is quite possible that Sarah was "upgrading" her father, perhaps using a name that was familiar. On one branch of our family I found a marriage where the bride called her father "gentleman" when he was actually a fishmonger!

Daft Bat likes this.
  8. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Just as an aside, and probably a piece of useless information :rolleyes: when William and Sarah married in June 1877, they both gave their address as 287, Cambridge Road, Bethnal Green. From the London Evening Standard of the 12th September 1878
    Sept. 9, at the Green Man, 287, Cambridge-road, Mile-end, Mr William Cakebread, deeply lamented. Friends will please accept this intimation.

Then, in the East London Observer 19th October 1878
    Bethnal Green — Green Man, Cambridge Road to Sarah Poynter Cakebread widow and administratrix of William Cakebread deceased the late Occupier

9. Londoner

Yes, he was also a licensed victualled and probate was granted to his widow Sarah Poynter Cakebread

10. Murfomurf

Murfomurf Well-Known Member

I think Richard Castle is some sort of Post Master- can't tell if it says Assistant. Not a Port Master, as they are usually Harbour Master.

annabel likes this.