Scottish military death, India, McDougall

Discussion in 'Stirlingshire' started by Philippa, May 23, 2014.

1. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

This may or may not help FMP has Royal Artillery Attestations and there is this entry for a William McDougall service number 818338

upload_2016-2-22_9-14-37.png

Should have added Attestation year 1932

2. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

The Falkirk Herald is now on the BNA which got me quite excited until I tried looking for William's demise and couldn't find it :(

However, do you know if Ina was musically inclined as I have found a couple of articles with an Ina McDougall performing......

Philippa likes this.
  3. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

Just decided to pop in for a minute or three before heading back to bed and found this lovely surprise - it really compensates for a disturbed sleep!!!

MollyMay, that's magic. Thank you!! That is our man and the information is exactly what we were hoping to find. Bill will be tickled when I tell him in the morning. You are definitely worth your weight in gold.

Another little square added to the patchwork. ():-)

Ann, I've been surprised at the number of places holding the Falkirk Herald from the past - and equally surprised that none of them seem to have anything like the news we are looking for. I'm still convinced that the peacetime death of a soldier "on foreign soil" would be reported in his home newspaper but so far nothing seems to bob up. Thank you so much for looking, I really appreciate it. As for Ina's musical ability - I'm afraid I know nothing about the family at all. I only ever met two other members of Bill's mother's family, one brother and one cousin - all the rest stayed put in Scotland. I'll ask Bill if he remembers anything like that but somehow or other I doubt it. Of course he might surprise me.............. Oh look - we don't seem to have a flying pig smiley!!!!! :D :oops:

I'll get that email off to the Falkirk people tomorrow and ask them to check too. It will be interesting to see what they come back with!!

Back to bed now and hopefully to the land of Nod again. See you all tomorrow (and thank you again). XXX

Ma-dotcom, MollyMay, AnnB and 2 others like this.
  4. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Well, just in case this Ina is your Ina.....
    Falkirk Herald 4th March 1930
    LYRIC PARTY’S FINE CONCERT.—A crowded house gave the Lyric Concert Party a fine reception in Grangemouth Town Hall on Wednesday at their annual concert. After a lively and effective opening chorus, the company gave "Drive your troubles Away," in the best style of the pierrots, but much more tunefully than the average variety show. Ina McDougall was encored for "On Her Doorstep Last Night," and gave "Tu-Tu."……. The company delighted the audience with another concerted item, "Jollity Farm," which included a clever duet by Bobbie Peel and Ina McDougall before the interval..........The unexpected denouement of "Virtue’s Reward," another sketch by Ina McDougall, Bobbie Jack, Bobbie Peel, and Harry Ritchie, aroused great merriment……. An entertaining duet, "Give me a Man" by Ina McDougall and Bobbie Peel, preceded "Summer Night," tastefully sung by Annie Wilson…… A further concerted item, "On the Thames," by Mary Hamilton, Ina McDougall, Bobbie Jack and Harry Ritchie, and the finale by the entire party brought a very bright variety show to a close.

I haven't transcribed the whole article, just the bits with Ina mentioned. Now simply out of idle curiosity I'm off to see if I can find any of the above mentioned melodies......they have such wonderful titles :D