Searching for a Thomas McCoy

Discussion in 'Leinster' started by Hugh Mccoy, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Hugh Mccoy

Hugh Mccoy Active Member

I am searching for a Thomas McCoy who was baptised in June 1872 in Ardee County Louth Ireland. After this baptism record there is no mention of Thomas at all. Not in death records,emigration records,marriage records or any other. His parents were Bernard McCoy and Catherine Matthews. Even if he died soon after birth,would there not be a death record somewhere.

2. ColinA

ColinA Active Member

FMP suggests a chap with that name was born 1870 and joined the army in 1887. I'm not sure how much detail I am allowed to give on here. It is also possible he (or a namesake) sailed to America in 1894.

3. Hugh Mccoy

Hugh Mccoy Active Member

Thank you for your reply. All i know about him is that he was baptised on 3rd June 1872. Information from Catholic Parish Registers National Library of Ireland.

4. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Don't know whether this is likely to be your Thomas, but it is in the right general area. Irish Civil Registration Death record for a Thomas MCOY in 1873 at Drogheda reg district, aged 0. Perhaps worth further investigation?

Janet

5. Hugh Mccoy

Hugh Mccoy Active Member

Thank you. Will look into it.

6. patten-walsh

patten-walsh Well-Known Member

The parents of Thomas McCoy's who died in 1873 were Christopher McCoy and Mary O'Brien

7. Hugh Mccoy

Hugh Mccoy Active Member

Thank you. Wrong Thomas so.

8. patten-walsh

A strange one this, in the fact that Children born before and after Thomas can all be found on irishgenealogy.ie with all the births taking place at Coppocks Green, Ardee and whilst there is a baptism record there is no birth record of Thomas.
    There is a 1872 death of a Thomas McCoy age 0 in Mullingar, Westmeath but that is 2 counties away, but also a corresponding birth in Mullingar 1872 so no joy there.

9. Hugh Mccoy

Hugh Mccoy Active Member

It is a strange one. Mainly why i posted in the first place. Surely there would have to be a death cert somewhere. I have a feeling Thomas died very young. Some years ago i asked my dad,who would have been a nephew of Thomas about him. He said that he never heard of him. Strange.

10. patten-walsh

There is a Death 1873 Thomas McCoy age 0 at Reg District Drogheda, Co. Louth
    Ist Quarter, page 2,Vol 438. No image available online unfortunately. Photocopy from Roscommon costs 4 Euro, roughly £3.73 plus whatever your bank puts on as a foreign exchange rate fee, I had to pay a total of £4.73 2 weeks ago.
    Of course it may not be the one but worth a go I think.

Just noticed that Janet posted this info yesterday.

11. Hugh Mccoy

Hugh Mccoy Active Member

Thank you anyway.

12. patten-walsh

I really should read my own post's as I've already said that the Drogheda death 1873 is not the one. !