Searching newspapers

Discussion in 'Newspapers & Other Publications' started by Sis, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

I have just taken a months sub at the British Newspapers Archives and was wondering if anyone had any tips on searching them. Obviously I know the general way of searching but was wondering if there were an tips and tricks I might not think of (says she who is known for not being able to think outside the square very well:D).

2. Sis

Just bumping this up a bit:)

Joanne and Ma-dotcom like this.
  3. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Wait until AnnB, pops in

Sis likes this.
  4. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

It all depends on what you are searching for.

You have to remember that the optical character thingy is by no means perfect (and when you see the state of the print in some of the papers, you can see why!)

I always use the 'Advanced Search' facility and usually start with what I am looking for by putting it in the "the phrase" box. When the list of 'hits' appears you can whittle it down by selecting an approximate date (if you know it). If you know the area you can choose that too by using the filters. If you can't find what you are looking for, try, say in a search for someone's name, just putting the surname in the "all of these words" box, along with, perhaps, the name of the place they came from. That might bring up more than you bargained for, but you may find others of the family you weren't even looking for! Also, in the case of searching for a name, try looking for the surname with just an initial in the phrase box, ie A. Smith rather than Agnes Smith, or even Miss Smith (don't try looking for too many of those :rolleyes:). To narrow that sort of search down you can also put a place in the "all of these words box" or choose a county or area from the filter boxes.

Sometimes, in the case of something like an inquest (if you can't find an entry for the name you want) if you know the approximate date the inquest may have taken place, choose the area where the person died, than find the year and then search for the word coroner or inquest. That should bring you up mentions of inquests or coroner's courts and you can search through them in the hope the one you are looking for may be there.

It is very difficult to try and explain all the little ways you can find something, it really is a case of try, try and try again. Patience, in this case, really can be a virtue. If you want to give me an example of something you want to find (via a conversation if you like) then please do.

Hope that might help a bit
    Ann

5. AnnB

Funny you should say that......:D

6. Sis

Thank you so much Ann. There isn't anything in particular that I can't find, just wanted to make sure I am on the right track. All you said makes sense and if I get stuck with you I'll let you know. Thanks again.:)

Archie's Mum, Ma-dotcom and AnnB like this.
  7. TonyV

TonyV He who cleans up after his ancestors...

I subscribe to findmypast who have historic newspapers and I cannot find an Advanced search tab on their records of that name. I have actually found quite a lot of useful stuff but with my family surname being Vines the hits I get for how to cultivate or buy the damned plant, even in Northamptonshire newspapers, outnumber hits for people with that name by about 100 to 1. Very annoying!

8. Philippa

Philippa Always a lady.

I have the same problem with a branch of my mother's family, Tony. The surname is Brisbane!!!!

9. Ma-dotcom

Two lines of 'Miles' in my Family-imagine!!...

10. AnnB

I use the British Newspaper Archive (that's what Sis has taken her sub for), and the search facility on there is far better than that on FMP. Not only can you insert an 'exact phrase' (like a full name, street name, place name or whatever) but there is the option to exclude words. So, looking for Vines, you could decide to do a search without the words vineyards, grapes, wine or whatever. Obviously, this doesn't always work and you will still get hits that aren't anything like what you want, but it does cut down on the total number. If you can then whittle the results down to an area or a time frame, it does make life easier. Or, you could add another word in the 'all of these words' option, say, if you knew Fred Vines was a grocer, you could put grocer in the 'all of these words' box and Fred (or Frederick, or F. or Mr F.) in the 'the phrase' box.

As I said before, if you keep trying you soon pick up ways of finding things you might not have done on a first look. I don't think FMP's search facility is anywhere near as good, but that's just my opinion :)

Ann

11. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Mine too Ann.

Sis likes this.
  12. TonyV

TonyV He who cleans up after his ancestors...

Thanks for the explanation Ann. As a current subscriber to FMP there was little point in subscribing to the BNA as well because the records are said to be identical. However I am letting my subscription to FMP lapse so I may well consider taking one out with BNA eventually.

Tony

13. Ma-dotcom

This tweaked my thought flow this morning- but I believe it was such a place :D
    Actually took a second out to google: 'twas a place of shaving & Hairdressing' oddly enough said man was a hairdresser. He married the Sister of the Lasses who married the men mentioned below.
    Dover Express 06 September 1907 -Whitford.JPG

Learned more of the Newspaper journalist husband of my 2nd cousin & his Sutherland-Bullen Family of Hastings.
    Likewise the youthful activities of his son-in-law Benson Durant in Exeter before he also went to New York & married my 3rd cousin.

Hastings and St Leonards Observer 29 November 1924
    +
    Aberdeen Journal - Monday 21 October 1901 -Charles
    Western Times - Tuesday 23 September 1913... told of
    Benson George Durant of Exeter & his theatrical activities.

All adds to the stories of these people who married into my Family.

AnnB, Daft Bat and Sis like this.
  14. AnnB

There's no stopping you now Wendy, is there ;)

Ann

Chimp, Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  15. Ma-dotcom

Not until the month trial runs out Ann, not sure I can find the pennies for a big outlay just yet. I have at least found a few on FMP where I do have a sub. :reading:

AnnB and Sis like this.
  16. AnnaJenny

AnnaJenny Well-Known Member

One of my names is LUSH so I know every garden and wood with 'lush green grass' in whichever county I am researching at the time.:mad:

17. Steve Bumstead

Steve Bumstead Well-Known Member

You should try searching for a family named STREET

18. AnnB

Are you using the British Newspaper Archive? One way around that problem is to put the words green and grass into the box which says 'None of these words' in the advanced search option.
    Sorry Steve, not really an easy way around that :rolleyes:

Ann

Ma-dotcom, Sis and AnnaJenny like this.
  19. AnnaJenny

AnnaJenny Well-Known Member

Thanks Ann. I am reading your posts and taking note.

AnnB and Sis like this.
  20. Ma-dotcom

Don't forget to 'bookmark' so you remember where you made the notes from :D

AnnaJenny, Sis and AnnB like this.