Seeking Abigail

Discussion in 'Cumberland' started by Bay Horse, Mar 23, 2022.

1. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

Abigail Burns was recorded as the mother of James Burns (baptism - Scotch Presbyterian chapel, James Street, Whitehaven, 19th December 1802. Image now on Ancestry). She and husband William were then at Scotch Street in the town. There's a later baptism for son Thomas in 1805, same place, and they'd moved just a short way to Queen Street by then.

I'm unable to find any more information for Abigail (her own baptism, marriage, burial) or indeed William, and I've been going round in circles with them for a long time.

Is anyone able to find anything on this pair, please?

2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Sorry, Found the boys but not the parents.
    Also mentioned in 'Family Search' as

England, Lancashire Non-Conformist Church Records, 1647-1996

"England, Lancashire Non-Conformist Church Records, 1647-1996", database, FamilySearch (
    Code:
    https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:6D1R-DXT8
    : 28 January 2022), Abigain Burns in entry for James Burns, 1802.

Probably just copied over.

Bay Horse likes this.
  3. Bay Horse

Yes, I've noticed the transcriptions under Lancashire on FS - they're also under Northumberland. :reading: Thanks for having a look for me, Wendy. :)

The parents have eluded me for ten years. (Abigail is such an uncommon name of the time, too. :headbang: I could understand it if her name was Mary or Elizabeth!)

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  4. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Me too, she is remarkable by her absence isn't she. There seem to be another couple of BURNS families having children baptised in the non-conformist faith at Whitehaven: Thomas & Jane BURNS of High Street in 1812, Tangiers in 1813 & 1816 and then Queen Street in 1819 and James & Margaret BURNS of Darke Street in 1800. Just found another non-conformist baptism at Whitehaven in 1814, an Ann BURN daughter of Colin & Elizabeth BURN of Monkray - not sure she is one of your extended family or not, but the other two families could be couldn't they given the names of the two sons of William & Abigail.

There is a Family Tree on Ancestry for William & Abigail BURNS but no actual details for Abigail except the baptisms of sons James & Thomas. It also has William remarrying but no proof of Abigail's death. There is a Marriage Bond on Ancestry dated 29 September 1811 between William BURNS, widower, Labourer, aged 33, of Greysouthen in the parish of Brigham & Bridget ROBINSON of Greysouthen, spinster, aged 30, but again no actual proof that this is your William BURNS as far as I can see.

Sorry, it all seems to be negative information.

Janet

Bay Horse and Ma-dotcom like this.
  5. Bay Horse

There are a lot of Burns around those parts, particularly in the graveyards. :sceptical:

Thank you, Janet. Not negative information at all, it helps to have someone else set it out in front of your eyes.

I'm not sure now if it's my laptop fan or my brain I can hear whirring.

janetbooth likes this.
  6. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Not sure if it's worth a look but in 1841 there is an Abigail Burns at Newington St Mary Surrey. Has birth year as 1776.
    In 1850 the death of Abigail Burns birth year 1777 age 73 16/11/1850 Workhouse St Marylebone

Bay Horse likes this.
  7. Bay Horse

Thank you, Sue. It would have been helpful if she had lasted out another year to record a county of birth on the '51 census!
    Gut feeling is that it would have been unlikely for her to have made her way down to London from Whitehaven. Ancestry has her down as 'male', too, on both WH and burial transcriptions.

There is also a burial for Abigail Barnes at Stanwix in 1808. :reading: I don't know (bit out of area), but that would fit with the re-marriage of William at Brigham above.

Archie's Mum likes this.
  8. Bay Horse

I've sent for this chap's Will, anyway. See if it offers any clues. :sceptical:

Chimp and Daft Bat like this.
  9. janetbooth

Fingers crossed! It would help if we could find any other records definitely pertaining to your William & Abigail apart from their children's baptisms wouldn't it!!

Janet

Bay Horse likes this.
  10. Bay Horse

It would, @janetbooth :)

The Will came through at 6.30 this morning, but sadly tells me nothing. Basically, I've received a Probate in favour of the son, the executor, but... no Will attached. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

When the document was first produced it would have had the Will attached to it.

(You know when you visit a grand country house and it has one of those enormous mazes made out of yew, and no matter how hard you try to get out you keep running into dead ends? That).

AnnB, Ma-dotcom and MollyMay like this.
  11. janetbooth

:(:(. I know the feeling only too well. Hopefully in the not too distant future we may get some Cumberland parish register images online.

Janet

Bay Horse likes this.
  12. Bay Horse

I'll go back to Whitehaven to dig around the archives but I need to unmuddle my head first. :reading:

Still, small steps. I'm piecing tiny bits together on the Greysouthen chap but I'm not convinced he's my man, or indeed Abigail. :confused:

janetbooth likes this.
  13. Bay Horse

The Will came through early today, cancelling out Greysouthen William. Not a link, sadly.

14. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

:(

15. janetbooth

16. Bay Horse

Still quietly digging on this one, weeks on.

I still feel that William and Abigail are the correct 4th G-Grandparents on this line. Given the Whitehaven link, I still think that William was at sea a lot which is possibly why there's no sight or sound of him. And you know what they say, what the sea takes, it gives back. He's got to put in an appearance somewhere, eventually. :)

Sue, I'm going to chase this one up now (it's on the list) - thank you. Having found a connection to Surrey a bit later it's looking a little more likely.

William was the name of the first-born grandson, who like his brothers and nephews also went away to sea, swapping farm life for one on the ocean wave.

janetbooth, Chimp, AnnB and 1 other person like this.