Seeking Clan McLean

Discussion in 'United States of America' started by Menika, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Menika

Menika Member

I am needing to locate information on my 5x g grandfather, Matthew McLean. At this time, I only know he was in York County, South Carolina in 1800, with his wife and several children. He did have one son, Matthew, born 1797 in York, SC, plus another son, John, no known information, and a daughter, my 4x g grandmother, Rosanna Margaret McLean (Palmer-married), that researchers are aware of. Reputed to have died in TN in 1804, but no sources given. Wife's name supposedly is Mary "Powell"? Can anyone point me to online resources for Tennessee prior to 1830? (I'm also wanting to verify marriage of Rosanna to her husband, Spencer-but that doesn't fit with this thread/forum!) Thank you for assisting!

GrannyBarb likes this.
  2. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

Hi, Menika.

You posted in the Argyll forum. Do you expect a Scots connection? Or do you need mostly help in Tennessee?

Menika likes this.
  3. Menika

Menika Member

Both, GrannyBarb. Long ago, when I first got to Matthew, on ancestry dot com, another researcher listed his place of birth as Scotland. No one has managed to get further, or since ancestry has changed things, trees have been made private so I'm not able to learn if there's additional information on him. I don't know how factual the information I'd seen was, so I'm attempting to obtain source documentation for my own tree. I also didn't see a forum for the USA-but I also haven't really checked, either. I'm on my phone-computer is in shop until tomorrow.

GrannyBarb likes this.
  4. Menika

Menika Member

I will have to wait til tomorrow night after I get my computer home and set back up. I wanted to read a reply on this thread, but pressing the alert iiisnt bringing up the message! :/

5. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

I have moved the thread to the USA section. If it transpires that another section would be more appropriate, we can move it again. :)

Menika and GrannyBarb like this.
  6. GrannyBarb

Okay. I don't have Ancestry (except via the library). I have a couple of sources I can check before tomorrow.

Sorry you have tech challenges. That always happens to me either when I'm on the verge of a discovery or trying to share an exciting find with my peeps.

7. GrannyBarb

Jan? I have a dumb question... when a mod moves a thread, does the url change? For instance, if one were to bookmark a thread and it gets moved, would the bookmark be able to find the thread? Just asking.

Findem likes this.
  8. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

No - the url stays the same. :)

GrannyBarb and Findem like this.
  9. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Good question! Good answer too

GrannyBarb and Findem like this.
  10. Menika

Menika Member

Thank you!

11. GrannyBarb

Thanks. Good to know. :angel:

Menika likes this.
  12. GrannyBarb

Hi, Menika.

There is an ancestral tree on FamilySearch for the Palmers and their parents. It states the Palmers were married in 1820 in Smith County, TN. I went to the TNGenWeb page and looked at Smith County. The 1820 Census transcription does have Matthew McLean and various Palmers. I don't have time right now to delve further looking for this Matthew.

I did see a Matthew McClain in the 1800 York, SC Census. Also, John Sr, John Jr, William and Andrew households.

No luck in 1810 yet.

My Scotland McLean refs do not mention to this branch, but most of mine left between 1820 and 1850, which is late for your bunch.

Menika and Sis like this.
  13. Menika

Menika Member

Thanks bunches, Barb! I have looked and looked for an 1820 census for Smith county, TN, and never been able to find one! If you can provide me with the URL, I'll take a look see and see what I glean off of it!

GrannyBarb likes this.
  14. GrannyBarb

http://www.us-census.org/pub/usgenweb/census/tn/smith/1820/pg0064.txt

I don't know if you've ever used the usgenweb sites. There is the Genweb project and the Archives (which have lots of transcription). They are organized by State and County and quality/usefulness varies accordingly. Some are searchable, and others you have to open each link and use Ctrl+F on each page. With all the variations on the name (the Scot pronounce it 'Mac-Lane' or 'Mick-Lane.')

It pays also to look in neighboring counties because boundaries moved often back then.

There is also a Tennessee State Archives that I haven't look in yet.

Granddaughter is sick, so I will be watching Peppa Pig videos with her today instead of doing research. I'll check back tonight. Happy hunting. :)