Service No 200851

Discussion in 'WWI (1914 - 1918)' started by Clare Walton, Feb 5, 2022.

1. Clare Walton

Clare Walton New Member

Can anyone point me in the right direction of where I find relevant info regarding John Carruthers, Northumberland Fusiliers - service No: 200851. Dates between 28.04.15 and 11.04.19. And where might hold his DOB? Thanks!

2. ColinA

ColinA Well-Known Member

Ancestry gives a Fold3 reference, Discharged 11 Apr 1919 (Disability) b. 1892

3. WelchRegLost

WelchRegLost Well-Known Member

Find my past have several records for him but the surname is spelt both Carruthers and Curruthers

4. Andromeda

Andromeda Well-Known Member

Fold 3 has his pension card, but it doesn't give a lot of information (I think I've seen you post about this man before...)

Listed as born 1892 and married (no family details included)

Address: Smithy House, Main Street, Haltwhistle
    Disability: Bad Breathing (lumbago) - attributable to service
    Considered 10% disabled & awarded 5/6 weekly 8 Jun 1920-7 Jun 1921. No award for any wife or child.
    On 30 May 1921 he was found 1-5% disabled and granted a final £5.

Other records show his former service number was 4/2697 (4th Northumberland Fusiliers), that he enlisted 28 Apr 1915 and first entered a theatre of war (France) 7 Sep 1915.

There is a hospital admission for him under this former service number - admitted to the 4th Stationary Hospital. Hard to make out what for but I think it possibly says D Caries (dental caries). Admitted on the sick convoy 10 Mar 1916, discharged 30th.

Stated to be 25, and that he had completed one full year of service including 7 months in the field.

Discharged 11 Apr 1919 as no longer fit for active service, and awarded a silver war badge (he was also entitled to the 1914/15 star, the British War Medal and the Victory Medal).

However, none of this helps you find anything about his earlier life! The fact that he enlisted into the Northumberland Fusiliers before conscription came in does suggest that he was in the area at that time, although that isn't an absolute.

5. Andromeda

Oh, now this might help..

He was a PoW & his DoB was given as 2 Feb 1890, Kirkbride. Contact details were Mr Porter at Smithy House, Main Street, Haltwhistle

Another record within the PoW series gives a DoB of 2 Aug 1890 and an address of 19 Clive Street, Prudhoe.

A third names Alice Porter & gives his DoB as 2 Aug 1890

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
  6. Clare Walton

Clare Walton New Member

This is a great help. Where would I find information about being a PoW?
    In 1921 census he's listed at Smithy House, year of birth 1882 Canonbie, listed as a miner, out of work! (a miner with breathing problems!).

7. Andromeda

Ive added some extra information to my last post, and Id say this most likely DoB is 2 Aug 1890 (at least, that's what he told them!)

The PoW records can be a bit tricky, but I've posted a link below that should hopefully go straight to his card. Hover over that & you should see a red band saying 'additional information about this person'. Click on that, check the letters in the prefix say PA, then one at a time type in the numbers from the card. Unfortunately it doesn't give a lot of information, other that what I've already typed.

Code:
    https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Search#/3/2/224/3624564/British%20and%20Commonwealth/Military/carruthers

8. Andromeda

Just adding things as I go...

The war office weekly casualty list for 28 Jan 1919 lists a number of returning POW's, including: Carruthers 200851 J (Carlisle)

I've found the brackets can often either refer to PoB or place of enlistment, so my guess is the latter.

9. Andromeda

Not sure if you've checked the 1939 register yet, but there is a John Carruthers DoB 2 Aug 1890 living in Warwickshire, along with wife Hilda. Some names are redacted, but there are two open records with the surname HALL.

John R Carruthers married Hilda HALL in 1930 in Alcester Registration District, Warwickshire.

I seem to remember you mentioned something about Warwickshire area in your previous post?

ADDED: The Hall children have the mother's maiden surname of HOOK, and there are two Carruthers children born Warwick in the 1930's with the mother's maiden surname also HOOK, so they are probably the two redacted names.

John's death in 1979 is as John Robinson Carruthers.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
    Eve likes this.
  10. Clare Walton

Clare Walton New Member

WOW!! Thank you for all this information, I will look into it all. Can I ask where you gain all your information from? I'm thinking I may be looking in the wrong places & paid memberships of the wrong sites. I keep having to stop myself paying & joining more sites as its costing a fortune. Thank you for taking the time to look!
    Also, the info regarding PoW & medical history, where can I obtain print outs of this info?

11. Andromeda

The war office casualty lists are available from the British Newspaper Archive, FindmyPast, or free of charge from the National Library of Scotland. Link to the specific page here:
    Code:
    https://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/archive/194174764
    I already gave you the link to the PoW information, which again is free of charge (although some of it is on FindmyPast). Just copy the 'code' into your browser, but as it hasn't 'held' at the right record you need to select 'Carruthers Northumberland Fusiliers' from the left hand list, scroll to the last card and then follow my instructions at post #7.

The hospital admission is also from FmP but can also be viewed at the National Archives (not online) - reference MH 106/1440.

The 1939 register is on Ancestry of FmP.

Eve and Daft Bat like this.
  12. Clare Walton

Clare Walton New Member

Thank you so much. I have filled in quite a few gaps! And now have a lot more to look into. Now looking to see where he was 1911.

Daft Bat likes this.
  13. Andromeda

Well you've got plenty to choose from!

I did wonder whether this might be his birth, despite where he says he was born on the 1921 census:

CARRUTHERS, JOHN mmn ROBINSON GRO Reference: 1890 S Quarter in WIGTON Volume 10B Page 545

The PoW records mention Kirkbride, which is within the Wigton Registration District.

14. Andromeda

If you're searching on Ancestry, try the spelling Counthers for the 1911 census

You should be able to find him easily enough in 1891 & 1901.

15. Clare Walton

Clare Walton New Member

Thanks, yes I've found him in 1891 & 1901. And know he was definitely in Haltwhistle, Smithy House - Main Street, from 1913 up until at least 1921.
    I'm looking at Ancestry, FMP & My Heritage