1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Settlement record - Shoreditch

Discussion in 'Parish Law' started by Flook, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman

I have found the following entry in Ancestry’s London Selected Poor Law Removal and Settlement records: Shoreditch Settlement Papers 1829-1833.

The entry was made 1 September 1832 in the book. The details seem to be correct.

So some questions.

Is this giving the right of Henrietta to settle in Shoreditch parish?

Is she claiming parish relief of some kind?

Was she removed from St Luke’s parish (which is immediately to the west of Shoreditch parish)? If so, would this have been because the parish didn’t want her or did she just want to live in the adjoining parish (Shoreditch) and was claiming the right to do so? Whitfield Street is in Shoreditch parish.

Can anyone throw light on any of these questions please?

“Henrietta Flook, Widow of Stephen Rob[er]t Freek Flook and her three Children viz Stephen Robert aged 11 yrs, Isabella Emma aged 9 yrs,. and Jemima Winifred aged 6 yrs. – passed 1 September 1832 from St Luke Middlesex.

Says she was Married at St Andrew Holborn 9 May 1811 – Husband died 24 August last – that her said Husband 25th June 1818 - took 2 Rooms unfurnished at No. 14 Whitfield Street, Tabernacle Walk at £14 a year and occupied same one whole year.”

2. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

A wife took the legal place of settlement of husband, so as Henrietta's husband had rented rooms in Shoreditch he would have been deemed to have been legally settled there and after his death, his wife would have had to be 'removed' to that place ie Shoreditch.

There is quite a comprehensive article about the settlement laws at
    http://www.
    mdlp.co.uk/resources/general/poor_law.htm

Sis, Ma-dotcom, Bay Horse and 3 others like this.
  3. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman

Thank you for your quick response Ann. I've read the appropriate section and I will go back and read the rest sometime.

It has (of course!) raised further queries in my mind and so I'm busy checking my facts against maps, topographies etc and I'll be back, hopefully this evening:).

AnnB and Daft Bat like this.
  4. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman

I’m back…

My problem is that I'm rather bemused by the fact that Henrietta's husband rented and occupied some rooms in Shoreditch for 12 months some 14 years before 1832 and that this is deemed relevant. The baptism records for the children show that they were all baptised in St Andrew Holborn; Stephen junior in 1821 (residence: St John, Clerkenwell), Isabella in 1823 (residence: Clerkenwell) and Jemima in 1825 (residence: Peter Street*).

* probably the Peter Street (City of London) off Sun Street off Bishopsgate – there isn’t a Peter Street in either St Lukes or Shoreditch parishes in 1831 (Elmes: Topographical Dictionary).

…and so I’m wondering if anyone knows what the relevance of the Whitfield Street address in 1818 is given that the family clearly lived elsewhere for at least quite a lot of those 14 years?

Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  5. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Off the top of my head, and I may be wrong, it may be the fact that he actually rented a property in Whitfield Street and lived there for a year, thus gaining the right to claim settlement. After that, it didn't matter where they lived, they could always prove they had lived in Shoreditch for the required time to gain that settlement.

Sis, Ma-dotcom and Flook like this.
  6. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman

Oh that's an interesting thought Ann; that sounds quite credible.

AnnB likes this.