Ship Panama to Australia 1849

Discussion in 'Empire & Commonwealth' started by Archie's Mum, Jul 13, 2019 at 1:06 AM.

1. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

The Panama was a 522 ton ship specially chartered to bring wives and families of emancipated convicts out to Australia. It first landed at Port Melbourne and dropped off families who were to be reunited with family members who were in Tasmania or had moved on to Victoria after freedom. It then arrived in Sydney around 13th September to
    Finish it’s trip.
    I can only find a couple of pages of passengers and the manifest showing captain etc when it arrived in Sydney.
    My question is who would have chartered this ship to make the trip. On the manifest the agents name is Gilchrist and another letter after that I can’t make out.
    Would Gilchrist be the person who also chartered the ship or if not then who would he be acting for.
    I am especially interested in a young James Dalton who was sent to his father here in Orange at the age of 14....listed as 13 on the manifest apparently...I can’t find him.
    James life is accounted for, he built a huge mansion here called Duntryleague, so I don’t need anything on him, just the ship details. If at all possible.
    Thank you.
    The next trip the Panama made was chartered by the Earl Grey scheme to bring out orphan Irish girls, leaving Plymouth later that year.

2. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

Here it say ships were charted by the government. The arrival annoucement in the newspaper calls the passengers immigrants, so I would say the government chartered it.

Code:
    https://openresearch-repository.anu.edu.au/bitstream/1885/132075/2/b1015128x_Shultz_Robert_Joe_Vol1.pdf

Archie's Mum likes this.
  3. Archie's Mum

Yes, thanks. That's what I have since found out. Convict Reunion Scheme was introduced by the British Government to correct the imbalance of gender. It fell apart around 1840 after transportation ceased to NSW, due to the inadequacies of the British Home Office. It was reintroduced in 1847 until 1870 when it was no longer required.
    As to Mr Gilchrist I now believe he to be a merchant and shipping agent here in Sydney. Later the company was known as Gilchrist, Watt and Sanderson. Mr Gilchrist was an agent bringing out numerous Scottish immigrants. The Watt name of the company I wonder if related to the captain of the Panama.
    I could be calling on lots of help here as I have been asked to check some info on a new book. :nailbiting: Life just gets busier......

Ma-dotcom and Sis like this.
  4. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

It keeps you out of trouble, or does it?:D

Archie's Mum likes this.
  5. Archie's Mum

:sceptical:

6. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I've had a go but can only find mention of 188 immigrants no names. Sorry.

There are three 'family trees ' on My heritage claiming his family but whether or not they would have the shipping detail you want is another matter.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019 at 11:54 PM
    Sis likes this.