Short Lived Ancestors That Had A Photograph Taken

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Jonathan1990, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Jonathan1990

Jonathan1990 Member

For me there is 1 photo that exists which is of my great grandma's only brother as she had 4 other sisters. He only lived from 1892 to 1915 before getting killed in a tragic accident down the coal mines. My Dad got to meet all her sisters but knew nothing about him although there were rumours going around that someone had died down the pits. She must have kept this photo hidden until my Dad's cousin found it for me. The photo must have been taken round the time the 1911 census came out. There's no photos of the 3 older girls who had left home by then. Him, her, her younger sister and her parents (my great great grandparents) all had their photo taken the same time which she also discovered. The photo can now be seen on Family Search and Ancestry. Do you have any short lived ancestors that managed to get a photo taken?

Ma-dotcom, Bay Horse, Amle and 4 others like this.
  2. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Yes, I have one of my aunt on my Dad's side who died when she was only 1 which was found in one of my other aunt's possessions after her death at 100 years old. What a contrast!

Janet

Ma-dotcom, Sis, Amle and 1 other person like this.
  3. Amle

Amle Well-Known Member

We all deal with things differently and times have change so much. If I had a relative now who lived only a short time I would want to be proud of the photo. Thank heavens things have changed and we can let family members live on. What a treasure you have.

Ma-dotcom, Bay Horse and Sis like this.
  4. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

Yes, my grandfather had a sister that lived until she was ten years old. She was never spoken of.

Growing up, I'd often take a family photo out of a drawer and look at it. It was of a baby with older siblings, wearing a large bonnet. "That's Uncle Jack," my mother would say. "Fancy them making him wear a bonnet!" In fact, Jack was born five years or so after the photograph taken around 1909. It was only when I looked at the faces of the other siblings and it dawned that they were much younger than they should have been that I realised it was a rare picture of Beatrice. My mother had never heard of her aunt.

janetbooth, Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  5. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

Hubby's grandmother died young from TB. His mother had one photo that went to his youngest sib. Since then an old family reunion photo has been posted on a message board. She's a small image among about 50 other folks (including her parents and sibs), hidden under a hat.