Sidney Burns / Nixon

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Lisa Watson, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Lisa Watson

Lisa Watson New Member

I am trying to trace my grandfathers birth certificate. I have aearched everywhere but nothing. Hope someone here can help.
    We think he was born 26th March 1912 (date of birth from 1939 census in london) he was born in Tantobie / which comes under Lanchester.

His mother was sarah Smith and his father James Burns they were not married she was a domestic in his household. I have a handwritten note from st Patricks church in dipton saying he was baptised in 1924. But on this they have his date of birth as 5th feb 1911.

I cannot find his birth anywhere. I have his death in london and electoral register in london st pancras 1939

Be great if anyone can help

2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Hi again Lisa, you found your way well. Have you tried looking on the GRO site? There is a 'Sydney' Burns M mn 'PARK' of Lancaster b. Sep. Q. 1912. Perhaps the wrong one? Is he found on the 1939 register? I'll have a look. Also Free REg may have him.
    By the way, can you give his wife's name - if no longer living.? Was his death listed as 'Burns- Nixon'? as I cannot find it either

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  3. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

1939 register has a Sidney Burns b. 26 MAr. 1912- Kathleen b. 4 Jan. 1912 & Grace b. 4 mar 1912. Also a blanked out entry & Grace Nixon b. 8 Apr. 1915 + her married names. Then 2 more blanked out entries. Could this be him?

4. Lisa Watson

Lisa Watson New Member

That is the marriage and that is the electoral roll of him.. what I cannot find is any registration of his birth.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  5. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

If parents weren't married was he registered under his mother's maiden name?
    There is a birth in 1912 of a Sidney Smith March qtr 1912 ,District Chorley ,Lancashire.
    Sometimes the date of birth isn't correct the 1939 register. I have found this has happened with some of my family.

6. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

Have you seen this 1911 census for James Burns and family?
    It is a big household
    address 3 Neale Street, Tantobie, Tanfield, Durham
    James Burns b1866 Gatehead, occupation colliery labourer above ground
    Mary Burns wife b1876 Blackhill Co Durham
    Mary Annie age 11
    Winifred age 9
    Leo age 5
    James 0
    They list 8 births 4 living
    3 boarders all working in the colliery
    James Smith age 3 adopted
    Sarah Smith age 23 general servant
    Michael Smith visitor age 28 occupation soldier
    Sarah Smith age 50 boarder
    Thomas Smith age 21 boarder
    Margaret Smith age 14 boarder
    + another visitor who is a coal miner

This looks like the family you are looking for and as there is no Sidney, it probaby discounts the Feb 1911 date of birth

Ma-dotcom likes this.