Sinclair

Discussion in 'Caithness' started by sue neikirk, Sep 8, 2013.

1. sue neikirk

sue neikirk Member

probably not part but Johan was listed as being born at Baillie (farm?). A Mr. Henry Braille was trying to help get a grant of money. Just strange. George, Catherine and the children had to be in this Immigration to Canada since it was 1841 and most of them were from Reay. I know I am grasping but it is the closest I have come to know exactly where they were. Still hoping for parents of George and Catherine.

2. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

The articles mentioned on this page of Am Baile from the John O'Groat Journal may be relevant and it could be worth getting them to email the articles to you. I wonder if the barque Pacific was the boat your ancestors left on?

http://www.
    ambaile.com/en/newspapers/search_results.jsp?newspaper=0&PrimarySubject=0&startyear=1841&endyear=1841&keywords=ships&StartRow=0&MaxRows=25

Another place worth contacting could be the Highland Archive service - they may have details of the emigration from Reay in 1841.

highlandarchives.org.uk/caithness.asp

3. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

The ScotstoCanada website has the Pacific sailing in April 1841 with 193 passengers. Twenty two left at Pictou , the rest Quebec. Mostly former tenants of the Duke of Sutherland's estate.

Another ship - Fairy - also sailed in April 1841 with 123 passengers for Quebec.

This website also mentions a book which you may know of - 'A Very Fine Class of Immigrants - Prince Edward Island's Scottish Pioneers 1770 - 1850'. by Lucille H Campey
    scotstocanada.com/new_page_7.htm

GrannyBarb likes this.
  4. sue neikirk

sue neikirk Member

On ancestry.com I found a William and Jean Sinclair at Stempster, Reay, Caithness county in the 1841 census. I know that George and Catherine Sinclair lived at Stempster for a bit. The father was born about 1786 and I figured out that the father of George would be about around that age. Am I close to finding his parents? Can anyone tell if there were other Sinclairs on that farm? I found other Sinclair's in Reay but not at Stempster. Thanks

5. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

Hello shelley

I had a look on Freereg for baptisms at Reay and the daughter of the couple you found - janet's - baptism was there, 1821 daughter of William Sinclair and Jean macdonald, abode Stempster. Then I had a look at marriages and there is a marriage of william sinclair and Jean macdonald in 1820, abode for both Stempster. I think your George would have been born before this as he had 3 children by 1841 - so they are probably not his parents.

If you look at Freereg (as mentioned already in an earlier post) you can see all the George Sinclairs, indeed all the Sinclairs baptised and married in Reay. You may be able to link them with some of the census results. Of course your George may not have been baptised or married in Reay.

I did find a Catharine Bain b 1806 daughterofThomas Bain and Margaret McKay, abode Shebster.

There are a great deal of Sinclairs in the area so it may be very difficult to be certain about parents, but there is a good chance that they are related in some way.

sue neikirk likes this.
  6. sue neikirk

sue neikirk Member

I have found that Sinclair and Bain is like Smith and Jones....there are just too many of them. I have found a Catherine Bain and George Sinclair being married 27 Nov 1835 in Reay, Caithness, Scotland in the Familysearch.org site. She was buried at the United Church of Malpeuqe PEI with 3 of her children and the stone states she was 67.
    you have all be a great help to me and I thank you very much.

7. sue neikirk

sue neikirk Member

most of Rose's info on this site is incorrect. She got it from a cousin that refuses to see the correct information from me. Rose has it corrected on ancestry.com though.

8. sue neikirk

sue neikirk Member

I did find out that Stempster/stemster was built and owned by the Sinclair clan. Dont know why they went to Baillie farm yet.

Daft Bat likes this.