So much for tidying my computer

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Genie1, May 21, 2020.

1. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

A few days ago I decided that I needed to delete items on the computer after backing up what was useful.This included backing up some family trees on to a stick.
    All was well I thought until I opened Family historian this morning and to my horror it was empty:eek:o_O
    I then remembered thinking it was safe to do so,I deleted the backups that automatically save when I close the tree. Lucky for me I hadn't emptied the recycle bin and was able to return them.
    Years of work would have been gone. I had about many trees on the go and backed-up all but 3 of them intending to do that another time.
    Now I have to go through everything in the recycle bin to see what else should not be there.

kernowmaid, Ma-dotcom, LianeH and 7 others like this.
  2. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

:eek::eek::eek: Thank goodness for the recycle bin. Has saved my bacon on more than one occasion, I must confess.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sue036, Sandiep, Auburn and 1 other person like this.
  3. Auburn

Auburn Well-Known Member

Eek! and a few much worse expletives!
    So glad you rescued it.

4. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Same here :oops:

Sandiep, Auburn and Sis like this.
  5. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

{-(^^)-} to @Genie1 . Did your heart drop to your socks? So glad you were able to get them back

In the early days of "drag and drop," one of my work duties was to watch our network admin whenever he got on a cleanup spree on the server. This after he had inadvertently "dragged" a folder belonging to the VP of our division into another user's folder and nearly gotten fired over the affair. :eek:

6. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

My heart dropped to my boots and I went cold all over.
    Stunned for a minute or two.
    The thought of having to start agin was not something that I relished.

Ma-dotcom, Sandiep, Auburn and 3 others like this.
  7. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

Oh boy do I know that feeling think my finger has a mind of its own sometimes:nailbiting:

8. LianeH

LianeH Well-Known Member

There would have been a few choice words to myself if I had done that. Hooray for the recycle bin. Just sit back, let the heart stop racing and have a drink or three to calm the nerves;)

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  9. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

I liked my old laptop. I hate this new one as of a fortnight ago.
    My genie software and data is all to pot, I can't remember email addresses and passwords to log on to my essential websites - even the GRO has chucked me out.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  10. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I did a cookie clean up 2 days ago,should have been done properly earlier. This time I opted for auto clean out when ever I shut down, not realising that every time I left it on sleep the cleaners would come in. So mad dash for passwords etc. which were all still in Google history but password to enter Google wasn't showing without entering it! I had a print out of all - or nearly all- paswords but some not on it . It's been a frustrating 2 days of signing i every time after leaving computer, laptop is annoying enough without that as well.
    I use laptop to read book while prepping dinner & before news comes on t.v. That way I can read while waiting for vegies to cook or oven to do it's thing.

11. mikejee

mikejee Well-Known Member

Have always thought declutterers, whether of real or virtual things are evil apparitions of the devil who should be kept well away from anything of importance

AnnB, AnnaJenny, Nightryder and 6 others like this.
  12. Bay Horse

Exactly, Wendy. I have a notebook with internet passwords jotted down, most but not all... :headbang: And those are the ones I need most.

Libby and Ma-dotcom like this.
  13. Ma-dotcom

I'm still waiting for a reason of importance to arrive in defence of removing some of my 'stuff' from our last house removal. I know it's out there some wwhere waitiing. ;)

LianeH, Libby and kernowmaid like this.
  14. ColinA

ColinA Well-Known Member

I backup to 2 external drives, BT cloud and some files to Google Drive. Passwords managed by Keepass and daughter (not living here) has password to that for when I pop off.

Also if I add new data to any file (Excel, Publisher, Approach - which I still use) I start a new file name such as FILENAME_May2020B.xyz

Today I am glad I did, as I inserted some columns into a spreadsheet and an arrow shifted position; so I was able to go back a vesion and see where the arrow should have been.

Ma-dotcom and GrannyBarb like this.
  15. Bay Horse

I was ready to call it quits. Today I deleted every scrap of family history from the new laptop, rationally reloaded the software without shouting at it and uploaded the data from one of the external hard drives - it behaved itself.

So now that I've decided not to throw every drive, folder, book, album, bit of paper in the bin I suppose I had better get on with it. Where was I? Oh yes, Derbyshire.

Ma-dotcom, MollyMay, AnnB and 6 others like this.
  16. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

After I update Brother's Keeper and add new families I'm hoping to put some of the unrelated/rejected finds into my Spares database on Microsoft Excel, might be a while though.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  17. Ma-dotcom

Today, going through Legacy index, knowing I had added some family members, I checked Legacy on laptop, 'out by 100 plus'. Began adding to laptop as copying from files didn't help. discovered I had added reams of people belonging to inlaws of family. I usually keep immediate family of inlaws to assist in finding other rellies but whole families of offspring? I ask you. Some deleting carried out but I still have some 'richie ditch' family to add. May need to have laptop catch up via 'Legacy Cloud' which will overwrright previous files & level the playing field.
    Then I only need to remember what I did when next I want to add more family.
    So much for 'synching' - didn't. !

LianeH, Daft Bat and Chimp like this.
  18. TonyV

TonyV He who cleans up after his ancestors...

I recently read an article about the best methods for storing precious data. It said that while memory sticks are fine for short term use you should not rely on them if you are considering them as long term data storage e.g. something for the grandchildren to use years down the line. Neither should you used recordable CDs. I won't go into the technical reasons, partly because I would probably explain it incorrectly, but briefly data stored on such media will disappear over time i.e it will be unreadable. The article recommended using at least an external hard disc.

The non-technical advice was also that if you keep trees on sites like Ancestry, you must remember that if you stop subscribing you can't get at it.

Findem, Sue036, Sis and 2 others like this.
  19. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

I have used a program called LastPass which holds all my passwords on here for 15 years or so and couldn't do without it. All you need to write down is the Master Password to get in from time to time if you need to. Especially handy when you have reinstalled or bought a new computer. The passwords are filed off-site (cloud type of thing) and you just set the program up and "bob's yer uncle"......all the programs are ready to go. I got tired of trying to find the ones I wrote down tbh and this is amazing.

Eve and Bay Horse like this.
  20. ColinA

ColinA Well-Known Member

Oower - passwords in the Cloud: not for me!

Bay Horse likes this.