So much for tidying my computer

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Genie1, May 21, 2020.

1. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Sorry, I phrased that wrong. They are on the the LastPass website but very secure!! I was trying to think of how to say that! I have nothing to my knowledge that is in a cloud (except my head), lol.

And I also don’t have any banking or financial info on it. They ask if you want them to save any new password.. as Firefox does! If you use Chrome, they keep every password you use without asking...I was rather surprised to see them. Most are old ones they have bc I never use that browser.

2. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

At first I was wary of having passwords stored in the cloud so I got a password manager that keeps them on the computer.

Then it occurred to me that if the computer died or got stolen, I'd lose access to all the passwords, so I've recently started to use the program's online features too. The passwords are stored on the program's own secure site, rather than an all-purpose cloud site, and you can choose whether to do an occasional sync (as a backup) or use the cloud passwords as your main repository.

But I think I'd still be reluctant to use a password manager that only functioned in the cloud. And like Heather, I don't keep banking passwords in it.

Figgs likes this.
  3. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Thanks Arthur! That is what I was trying to say...”stored on a secure site”. I don’t like the cloud idea but it wasn’t invented yet when I started using LastPass. When I first got Windows 10 it, One Drive grabbed my photos, etc and I dam near had a heart attack cuz I didn’t know what it was!! :eek::eek:
    And even Microsoft tech couldn’t explain it so enough of that ****. I stick to straight backups to a jump drive. Should get a 2nd hard drive I guess but don’t have all that much on there compared to others. Besides, all my toys are linked and I can access my passwords on the old computer, this iPhone and my iPad. Best of all, it is free! :D:D

Eve and arthurk like this.
  4. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

I knew what you meant, Heather - though the concepts are fresh in my mind as I've been sorting out my program recently.

Mine (Sticky Password, if anyone is interested) actually refers to the online storage as 'Cloud Sync', as opposed to 'Local Sync' which allows you to share passwords between devices on your local network.

Figgs likes this.
  5. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

To clarify.... I download LastPass individually to all my toys and they sync so I then have access on all 4 of them. I got tired of scrambling thru my notebook looking for an updated password and hoping I remembered to write it down,

arthurk likes this.
  6. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

I don't write any passwords down. Keep them in my head, If I forget and can't access to a site I just get another one.
    Just trying to keep the old grey matter alive.

7. ColinA

ColinA Well-Known Member

Password and 123456 are not that hard to remember ;)

Eve likes this.
  8. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

:eek:

Figgs likes this.
  9. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

I've just exported a copy of all my saved passwords out of crome into an exel file, now I can print them out. Didn't realise I had so many sites saved with the same password :eek:

As for my online banking the pass code changes each time due to the pinsentry device I have to use, so that one never gets saved.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  10. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Colin said......Password and 123456 are not that hard to remember!!

And the easiest one for hackers and other undesirable to crack in SECONDS!! For heaven's sake, use one that makes them at least work for a bit on it. My LastPass program has a generator for incomprehensible passwords, but I don't use it. I am truly shocked, Colin!! :eek:

11. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Methinks that Colin was joking..... ;)

ColinA, Figgs and Chimp like this.
  12. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

I hope so.......but you never know, lol. And I will admit that this heat (37C), humidity and rain are getting to me. :(:(

Findem, Daft Bat and Chimp like this.
  13. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

I have different passwords for all sites and emails.
    I am sure Colin A is joking - he is - isn't he?:)#27.

Figgs and Daft Bat like this.
  14. Barley

Barley Active Member

I am attracted to the idea of a password manager, but what if the company that manages them goes out of business and doesn't keep up the payment on its server space? If all those gobbledegook passwords vanish, and you haven't written them down (why would you?), you are truly up the creek aren't you? Or am I missing something?

Figgs and Ma-dotcom like this.
  15. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Lovely idea on the excel file & print out.

I recently had several sites -GRO was one- asking me to change a oassword because it was 'same as that on other sites'. One or two were so, but others just near enough.

16. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Yep....2 things! The fact that I have used them for about 20 years and I never use generated gobbledegook passwords. My LastPass program bought out the smaller one I used before (I’m old..can’t remember the name, grin).. and I am sure I could print them out. I often go into the Vault where the info is bc I make notes when I change them, for instance. Plus when it’s something very private, I put a sorta code there like “used mum’s middle name plus usual numbers”. So I am quite OK with using this program and it saves a lot of scrambling to find it in my book. But I often scribble some down before letting LastPass file them. Btw, my Firefox browser also saves a lot of them.

Sorry for the wordy post but while some security experts get antsy....I. don’t... due to it never letting me down. There’s another one called Dashlane. But have ever used it. :D

Barley likes this.
  17. TonyV

TonyV He who cleans up after his ancestors...

I couldn't live online without a password manager. I just looked and I have 87 login passwords stored in the one I use. No way I can remember even a small proportion of that lot. There are obviously some which do not have financial aspects such as the login for here, but the majority are sites which do allow me to access sites either where I have financial assets - banks, pensions etc. or where I use a credit card or similar to buy things and either the site stores my credit card info. or if they say they don't I wouldn't trust them to clear such sensitive info immediately after each transaction (and that covers them all).

I use 1Password for Mac and still have a version that stores the logins on my laptop and syncs them with apps on my iPad and iPhone. This was a one-off purchase and it is still updated as necessary. Their current business model is to sell the app by annual licence like Microsoft does for its suite of Office apps, but I believe that the app itself remains on your computer.

As long as you back up regularly to an external drive or drives you don't actually have to use a Cloud solution if you don't trust such approach. So you don't have to store separately the logins for financially secure sites from your other logins. Actually although we regard logins to sites like genealogy forums as less important I'd be surprised if anyone here would be happy to have their logins hacked.

IPassword can generate very strong passwords if I ask it to and can log in for me if I set it up to do so, but it still can't deal with sites which ask for just a few random characters from the password rather than the entire password and obviously it also cannot deal with two-factor authentication.

If you use a very strong password using a combination of alphanumeric characters or symbols (dependant on the requirements of the sites you subscribe to) you should not have to change it unless the site you go to gets compromised itself. In other words it's not your password that has been cracked but the security protection of the site that has been cracked and the hacker has then gained access to yours password through no fault of yours or because your password is easily crackable such as the ones jokingly referred to above.

I strongly recommend using a high quality password app and enabling it to create strong passwords for you. All you have to remember then is one master password - which of course also needs to be strong and maybe should be shared with one other trusted member of your family in case of emergency.

Barley and Figgs like this.
  18. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

Well written, TonyV! Think you covered all the stuff that crossed my mind and forgot to put in. :D Hope we didn’t confuse anyone.

I have an iPad and a rather new iPhone (first one) as well and they both save passwords too, so well covered. I couldn’t live without the two password programs either!! They are synced to my laptop. But my tech of 17 years doesn’t like them!

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  19. Libby

Libby Well-Known Member

It’s a good idea to have that important excel file password protected on your computer. One you can easily remember of course;)

Eve and Ma-dotcom like this.
  20. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

You cn have no idea the touble I went to tho have "Libby" on my Library downloads & returns. Much harder to 'get on with' than yourself. :D

Libby likes this.