So where did they get married?

Discussion in 'Church Records' started by Old Stoneface, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Old Stoneface

Old Stoneface Well-Known Member

On 21 October 1721, Richard Goore of Altcar, Lancashire, married Ann Billington, probably also of Altcar as there were Billingtons there, but I've not found a record for her yet.

Goore-Billington in Altcar.JPG

On 21 October 1721, Richard Goore and Anne Millington, both of Altcar, were married in St Nicholas' Church in Liverpool.

Rich Goore 1721 St Nick's L'pool.JPG

Admittedly there are two Richard Goores to choose from to be my ancestor: one born to Robert Goore on 2 May 1702 and the other born to William Goore on 20 November 1701, both in Altcar. But surely it would be too much of a coincidence for them to get married on the same day and to a woman whose name is the same except for one letter?

So is it the same couple with a mistake in her name and, if so, where did they really get married?

2. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Difficult to be sure either way, isn't it. Perhaps the most likely scenario is that they were married at St Nicholas, but it was recorded in their home parish register. If that is the case, it could be why Anne's surname is recorded as MILLINGTON & not BILLINGTON, as they would not have been known at St Nicholas. Just a theory, mind!

Janet

Old Stoneface likes this.
  3. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

If one record is from the Parish Registers and the other from the Bishops/Archbishops Transcripts, it is possible that there is a mistranscription between one and the other.

Bonzo Dog likes this.
  4. Old Stoneface

That would certainly be an easy solution, Jan, but the Millington marriage is in the Liverpool, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1659-1812 and also in England, Select Marriages, 1538–1973.

The Billington marriage is in the
    Lancashire, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812 Parish Register for the Parish of Altcar.

5. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

I personally think it is the same person with name spelt different. Maybe whoever wrote it down was having a bad hair day - or maybe he misheard? Some of these records are open to wrong transcriptions. I have a few also with names that are spelt slightly different i.e- Miller instead of Mellor

6. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

the consensus in family trees seems to be that it is the Richard Goore born 2nd May 1702 to Robert and Ellen that married Anne Billington/Millington
    this Ann died 1741 and Richard then married a Margaret Taylor....one of the trees has a précis of his will as well. but they seem to think it is the same Anne in both marriages.

7. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

That's the best I can come up with too, at this stage. However, I see that the St Nicholas register entry is marked "L" for Licence. This might clarify what the couple's plans were, if you can get hold of a copy.

It should also give a reasonably definitive spelling for Anne's surname (perhaps making the St Nicholas version the correct one?), but in the meantime, are there any other entries for Billington or Millington in the Altcar registers which might suggest one rather than the other?

8. Sandiep

seems to be Billington in the Lancaster none marked Altcar but a number Woodplumpton around 1700 onward most Millingtons seem to be West Yorkshire.

9. Sandiep

I did notice that there is a baptism for a Robert Goore son of Richard & Anne baptised 30th Dec 1721 Altcar and in 1724 a bap of an Eline(Ellen) which would seem to point to your Richard being son of Robert & Ellen in 1702

10. janetbooth

A Mary BILLINGTON was baptised at Altcar on 18 August 1696, no further details given in the register plus a Margry BILLINGTON was buried at Altcar on 4 January 1729/30. I have not turned up any records for MILLINGTON at Altcar during this time span using Ancestry's search function.

Janet

11. Bonzo Dog

Bonzo Dog Still the Mad Scientist?

Lancs OPC have marriage transcriptions for Altcar 1754-1812. There are 2 Billington and 4 Goore marriages, brides in all 6 cases, but none for Millington.

12. Old Stoneface

I have Richard & Anne's first child as Elling (presumably a variation on Ellen) baptised on 6 Oct 1723, and them only having one boy called Thomas. When Richard married Margaret, they had a Robert, a John and a William, but Robert* and William* were probably brothers, anyway.

* As possible fathers to Richard.

Can you remember where you found the 1721 baptism of Robert, please?

13. janetbooth

Several Wills for GOORE of Altcar/Altkar on Ancestry's Extracted Probate records and I thought I was on to something when up popped Robert GOORE of Altkar, Cheshire dated 1718 but unfortunately it is only an Administration so unless you are extremely lucky will not tell you whether he is Richard's father.

Janet

14. Sandiep

yes it was in Ancestry.....there are an awful lot of Goore from Lancaster on there.......your rellies didn't have much imagination when it came to names!!
    hours of fun

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  15. Old Stoneface

None of my ancestors had any imagination :(; the vicars/curates did better! I have an Abigail whose name is spelt in the most weird and wonderful ways, anything but Abigail. I know spelling wasn't fixed for a long time, but some of them aren't even phonetic!

I was thinking - given my ancestors' said lack of imagination - of starting a thread to see who could claim the most ancestors (i.e. blood relations, not just hangers on) with the same name in their tree. Any takers?

Chimp, Sandiep, Ma-dotcom and 2 others like this.
  16. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Would be an interesting read.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  17. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I seem to remember something similar a bit ago, but given the wonderful 'finds' we all are making we should be able to improve on it.

18. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

I have found 4 in a row in my tree. I'm sure if I keep going, there will be more, without missing a generation and all direct.

19. Old Stoneface

Don't talk to me about wonderful finds, Ms Ma-dotcom.

Yesterday evening I had another go at my highest brick wall, the parents of Hannah Croxall, a 3 x great-grandmother, born in 1773, and, luckily for me, who survived until after the 1851 Census so that I at least knew where she was born.

Of course; with my luck, it's a village on the Derbyshire/Staffordshire border and was in the latter county when Hannah was born but is now in Derbyshire. I remember particularly well as she was my first person researched, and my sister and I went to Lichfield, in Staffordshire, only to be told that the village wasn't theirs! They didn't tell us that Lichfield received the BTs for Derbyshire, which didn't have a cathedral at the time :headbang: which we could have looked at.

I thought people had to get permission to leave their parish of origin, but it doesn't seem as though this lot did.

What's more, Croxall is a rare name apparently. A website told me that there are currently less than 500 people in the world with the name, but it doesn't help me find mine :(

We - and I - have now gone totally off-topic, and I shall be getting into trouble with the Mods. :oops:

Did we ever decide where whosit and thingy got married?

20. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!