So where did they get married?

Discussion in 'Church Records' started by Old Stoneface, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Old Stoneface

Old Stoneface Well-Known Member

No, dear, the Goore-Billington pair of the original message of this thread.

Better lie down when you've brought the washing in ;)

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  2. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

oh heck, who can lie down at that time of day? other than himself?
    Don't dare lie down too much, they may think I''m ready to be carted off.
    [not quite ready yet]]

3. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

No-one's mentioned this bit ofwhat I wrote, so I wonder if it got overlooked:

4. Old Stoneface

I'm sorry, Arthurk, I did notice it, but haven't had time to do anything about it. I had also - previous to your comment - thought that the L stood for Liverpool, as it seemed to be at the end of nearly every line at the bottom of the page where their marriage was; I'm often daft like that :oops:

5. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

Well, I was assuming the L meant Licence - there often is something to indicate that. The fact that there were several with L against them made me wonder if it was a kind of status thing to get married at Liverpool Parish Church, so people from all round came to get married there - but of course if they were from outside the parish they would have needed a licence.

I've had a quick look to see if there are indexes to licences online, but haven't found any. I may have overlooked some obvious places, and haven't time to do any more on this tonight, so it's worth someone else trying if they feel like it. Going up the hierarchy in order, it might be Archdeaconry of Chester, Diocese of Chester, Province of York, or Faculty Office.

6. Old Stoneface

I'm sure you're right, Arthurk, as I looked at the page again, and there were plenty of marriages without the sweeping 'L' - I think whoever wrote those enjoyed dong it!.

I need some physical sustenance before I carry on; I was going to eat early and it's just struck 10 o'clock! Tomorrow is another day ...

7. Ma-dotcom

Bond's Marriage licenses 1538-1840
    Cheshire non conformist & Roman Catholic marriage Registers 17th Century to 1910
    Richard Goor & Ann Millington - Althar spinster. Licensed to wed 21 Aug 1721.
    Still cannot find a marriage bur haven't looked beyond Lancashire 1721-1724.
    Brekky calls & I've not read all posts yet.

8. Ma-dotcom

Was about to suggest that this couple were first married in the Catholic Church & then same day in Church of England.but both appear to be C of E, unless there was a change down the years. Pah!
    St.Nicholas Altcar is on Bridge Rd. Crosby/Blundellsands. Seems the Parish of Altcar was covered by Liverpool is now listed as an ancient Parish. PErhaps that was the St.Nicholas mentioned inthe marriage. I went back to the very 1st page in the register but it didn't show the cover to get a hint off what parish it belonged to. Maybe it was a particular register kept forthose of Altcar.
    Then again there was a a marriage of Mary Billington & William Brownhill in 1729 just above the marriage of Richard & Ann. perhaps that is where the mixup came from.Last page of the register has a sketch of St.'Michaels of Altcar' built in 1742. perhaps in lieu of an earlier building.

I've seen so many bits of Lancashire & so many purported notes on Altcar none of which were very helpful.
    I really do think that these two are one & the same, I'm sorry I just don't have the oomph left to double back through the other register to try for a book front cover. later books often had notes by the clergy at last entry for the month or similar, found none in this one-yet.
    Opting for MILLINGTON.

9. Ma-dotcom

Just checked the other register book for St.Nicholas Ann Millington & Richard Goore, only 8 pages & likethe first one shows no covers or headings other than the years. Writing is more careful & covers persons from various areas, not just Altcar.

Lunch!!

Old Stoneface likes this.