Some died, some survived

Discussion in 'WWI (1914 - 1918)' started by HildaW, Jul 28, 2014.

1. HildaW

HildaW Well-Known Member

Jim Moore
    A sniper, wounded in Europe and sent back to a Liverpool hospital where his youngest sister nursed him, he survived. Have never been able to establish his Service Number

John Moore
    Grenadier Guard, died 12 Oct 1917 Passchendaele, Belgium, married with a young daughter. His wife never remarried.

George Moore
    Liverpool Scottish Regiment 1914 to 1918 – he survived. My Grandfather.

Hugh Moore
    Liverpool Scottish Regiment, he survived.

Alfred Gardner
    RMS Lusitania a Trimmer died 17 May 1915. His body was never recovered. He was married only 2 months.

Edward Gardner
    Royal Navy – he survived

Richard Gardner
    Liverpool Scottish Regiment from Jun 1917 – he survived

John Henry Damerall Woodley
    Royal Navy – he survived, my husband’s grandfather

Walter John Woodley
    He had deserted from the Royal Navy in 1899, have never been able to establish if he did serve

David Kanapka Davis
    13th London Battalion - Princess Louise's Kensington Battalion, died 6 May 1917 Arras, France. His mother received ₤3 gratuity.
    All remembered for their bravery in appalling conditions

MollyMay, Stafford, arryboy and 3 others like this.
  2. LianeH

LianeH Well-Known Member

Maternal Side

Harry York
    Army - survived

Thomas York
    Army - Survived

Ernest Septimus York
    Navy - Died Battle of Jutland, body never recovered.

Albert York
    Navy - Survived.

All other brothers too young for WW1 but fought WW2

Family story goes that Ernie wanted to serve on the same ship as Bert but Bert told him no as if the ship went down then "mum would lose two sons". Bert was on another ship at the Battle of Jutland and watched his brothers ship go down. During WW2 Bert was too old to fight and he hated being on land, only feeling safe on the sea. During the Blitz Bert was in an air-raid shelter that took a direct hit - ironic and very sad.

John Little
    Army - died 3rd February 1918 aged 19.
    Regiment logs state that eight men were killed that night and six together when a shell landed. Having been to John's war grave he is in a row with five others from his regiment - guess this means he was one of the six. Photo proudly on my dresser.

As Hilda says above all remembered for their bravery

MollyMay, HildaW, Stafford and 4 others like this.
  3. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Hilda, have you a birth year for Jim,? or was he James?
    There is a Family Moore in 1911 at Bootle with a George, John,Hugh & James, pts Thomas & Elizabeth. Is it them?RG13; Piece: 3462; Folio: 129; Page: 17

Stafford likes this.
  4. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Walter Goldsmith

My great uncle survived the war - after a fashion. Upon returning to England, he changed his surname to Smith and moved to Blackpool. The rest of his 11 brothers and sisters were living in the south of England and he had no known contacts in the north. Eventually, his younger brother Ernest managed to track him down, but this was not until the 1930s. After the horrors of the "War to End All Wars", all Walter wanted to do was start a new life and not be reminded of the past.

Blackmogs, MollyMay, HildaW and 4 others like this.
  5. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

Arthur Archibald Ley, my grandfather.
    Joined the Royal North Devon Hussars 14th May 1915. Posted to Tidworth to do training, where he promptly fell off his horse on the 28th September 1915. He broke his arm badly and was discharged from the Army as he had limited movement and weakness in that arm. He ended up working at the Royal Arsenal, Woolwich, as he was determined to do something to help. He always had an underlying guilt about not 'going to War' and this was made worse when my father was made a POW in WW2 - not knowing where he was and whether he was still alive. He was a lovely, gentle man and I, for one, am rather glad he fell off that horse. This picture shows him after he broke his arm.
    Arthur Archibald Ley.jpg

Ann

Sis, MollyMay, Nightryder and 9 others like this.
  6. HildaW

HildaW Well-Known Member

Hi Ma-dotcom, thanks for looking, that is my GGP and GF George. Yes he was James, his birthday was 17 July 1886 (got that from family have not bought cert so date may be incorrect but year is almost certainly correct) and he was married by 1911 also living in Bootle. There are so many James Moore's from Liverpool but I have looked at those Service Records on A.... looking at all pages until I found an address or next of kin and none of the records are his - probably one of the burnt records.
    Most likely he also served with the Liverpool Scottish like my GF and Uncle Hugh. - does anyone know if and how to contact the regiment (if it still exists) ?

7. Ma-dotcom

Too much info to put here Hilda. google: Liverpool Scottish Regiment
    Much info out there. :)

HildaW likes this.
  8. mugwortismy cat

mugwortismy cat Tenacious to the End!

My incomplete list ... (don't mean to be maudlin but these are all deaths :()

Ernest Harry DOWN (25 Jun 1882-31 May 1916)
    My 2x ggf, Sick Berth Steward, died in the Battle of Jutland, along with all other hands on The Black Prince

George Arthur LUCAS (31 Aug 1876-1 Jun 1916)
    the 2nd husband of my 2x ggm, Petty Officer Stoker, died in the Battle of Jutland on board The Tipperary (my 2x ggm had lost her first husband to the sea, her second joined the Navy after losing her and their baby in 1902)

Albert Charles WINDIBANK (18 Oct 1896-31 Jan 1918)
    my 4th cousin (x2 removed), recently married, Able Seaman on HM Submarine K4, died with all crew in the so-called "Battle of the Isle of May" {see here http://www. theguardian.com/world/2011/aug/29/divers-war-submarine-disaster or Wikipedia}

William Sinclair HOBBINS (11 Jun 1882-10 Dec 1914)
    my 3rd cousin (3x removed) Private in the Royal Marines Light Infantry served on HMS Victorious, suicide (why?...), buried in Grimsby

Harry John ANTHONY (1881-9 Sep 1915)
    my 3rd cousin (4x removed) Private Royal Scots Fusiliers; Brandhoek Military Cemetery

Hilsty Marris Aqulia RUNYEARD (1897-16 Feb 1919)
    my 1st cousin (3x removed) Private in the Hampshire Regiment, died in Stockport (I don't know the circumstances), buried in Martin, Hampshire

Arthur Frederick BAGG (4 Aug 1892-9 Apr 1918)
    my 1st cousin (4x removed), Private Canadian Infantry (Manitoba Reg), killed in action in France, Bellacourt Military Cemetery

Robert James BODFISH (1895-7 Nov 1919)
    5th cousin (3x removed), Telephone Coy. M.T., Royal Army Service Corps, killed in Germany, Cologne Southern Cemetery

Bernard TOMPKINS (1881-12 Oct 1917)
    my 3rd cousin (x3 removed), although Bernard on his Army papers, he was named Bernice by his parents; Sergeant, 10th Coy., Machine Gun Corps (Infantry); Tyne Cot Memorial

Frederick John WOLLEDGE (1880-21 Mar 1918)
    husband of my 3rd cousin (3x removed), Private 2nd/4th Bn. attd. 3rd Bn., London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers), died in France, Pozieres Memorial

LianeH, MollyMay, AnnB and 1 other person like this.
  9. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Not to forget our beautiful 'Walers' of which out of 136000 taken overseas with their owners, only one came back. His name was Sandy and he lived out the rest of his life at Maribyrnong Remount Depot.
    My great uncle took his beloved horse to the Middle East but had to destroy him before coming home, due to quarantine restrictions here.
    Not all horses met that fate but were handed over to British forces.

Bay Horse, HildaW, AnnB and 2 others like this.
  10. HildaW

HildaW Well-Known Member

Hi Ma-dotcom, Many thanks, I looked at the website, it seems you can visit the Museum in Liverpool by appointment but does not appear to assist with enquiries.

11. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Here are mine, all three are first cousins and are my great uncles, the two Searles are brothers.

Arthur George Theobald born 1885 in Stebbing Essex, died 7 November 1914 at Le Tourney (or Touret) Pas De Calais, France. 1st Battalion Bedfordshire Regiment.
    Arthur married Selina Harriet Mulley in Springfield Essex 1912, Selina remarried 1919 to George W Dockrill in Norfolk but died the same year aged 30, sad ending for both.

Frederick Searles born 1888 in Little Leighs Essex, died 15 December 1914 at Boulogne France. 2nd Battalion Essex Regiment.

James Henry Searles born 1897 in Little Leighs Essex, died 6 Sep 1914 at Thiepval France. 9th Battalion Devonshire Regiment.

A first cousin of mine has Arthur's medals (and the Theobald Family Bible). I know nothing about the medals for the two Searles brothers.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  12. thalauafu

thalauafu R.I.P.

Hilda, where were your Gardner relatives from?

13. HildaW

HildaW Well-Known Member

Hi Diana, my Gardner's are from Liverpool later West Derby, my Gran Rachel 1891, Robert 1857 Chimney Sweep, Edward 1828 Iron Moulder, Robert 1808 Whitesmith, Edward a soldier later Whitesmith married Catherine Gerrard 1800 he was probably born c1775 - have Marriage Bond (resident in parish for 14 days) have no idea where he came from.

14. thalauafu

thalauafu R.I.P.

Hi Hilda, Thanks for getting back to me. Mine are all around London/Essex, but I am always on the look out for a Samuel Tims Gardner who was born around 1780, somewhere, but I know not where, so if you ever come across him, please send him flying through cyber space to me would you?

15. HildaW

HildaW Well-Known Member

Will do, and if you find William Gardner b1882, Kirkdale, West Derby. Last seen 1891 census with family I would be really grateful. Gran spoke of a "ne'er do well brother" and he is the one that no-one appears to have any contact with. Others marriage & death certs confirm ongoing contact.

16. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Regarding the great Uncle Arthur George Theobald I mentioned I sent his name in to the Tower of London Roll of Honour and here is an email I've received.

"We have received your nomination for the Roll of Honour, and are delighted to confirm your entry has been accepted for the reading ceremony on the 7th of August.

The list of 180 names will be read out from the Tower moat at sunset. The roll call will start at 20.40, with the names being read out in the order in which they were submitted.

At the end of the reading, at 21.00, an Army bugler will play the last post."

I'm very excited but a little sad I can't be there to hear his name read out.

17. HildaW

HildaW Well-Known Member

I am going to request 2 names and hopefully also that of Alfred on Lusitania he was Merchant Navy on Monday morning at 9am when the roll for next week opens, hold thumbs/cross fingers and my daughter is buying a poppy - hopefully if I get an email with date of reading she will be able to attend

18. Ma-dotcom

One of these is he , maybe the other are his parents? a bit far off tho.

Samuel Tims Gardner
    England, Middlesex, Westminster, Parish Registers, 1538-1912
    birth: 1781
    marriage: 1 January 1804 Saint Anne Soho,Westminster,London,England
    spouse: Mary Ann Ditcher
    residence: 1841 St Anne Soho, Westminster, Middlesex, England.

Warwickshire, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1910 Birth, Baptism & Christening
    Name: Daniel Gardner married Mary Tims 22 May 1797 - Shotteswell

19. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Just today realised that I hadn't looked up my great uncle Frederick Searles in the 1911 Census, although there's a niggling thought that I did and couldn't find him. On doing so today I found that in the 1911 Census he was already with the Essex Regiment in India, that was a surprise. So it might be both Searles brothers died in France single men, they were both single in the 1911 Census.

20. Peregrine

Peregrine Well-Known Member

My great grandfather also went to the Middle East with the Light Horse and died at the Battle of Maghdaba on 23 Dec 1816. There is a wonderful book about a big Waler you might like to read called Bill the bastard: Perry, Roland (2012). Bill the bastard. Allen & Unwin, Crows Nest, N.S.W.
    I believe the stables at the Maribyrnong Remount Depot are heritage listed.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
    Bay Horse and Archie's Mum like this.