Sparkes/Sparks Sunderland

Discussion in 'Durham' started by daisydogno1, May 15, 2014.

1. Doug

Doug Administrator. The Main Man. Staff Member

Is it this site http:// ifhf.rootsireland.ie/search.php ? If so it is not part of the Ancestry site as far as I can see.

Which has no bearing on why the GRO had not record of course. :)

2. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

Hi there
    This 1852 marriage record appears to be a church record. I believe that it was not compulsory for RC clergymen to forward details to the registrar until 1864 - so there may be no other record.

3. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Quite correct. :) As it says in this Article, Civil registration in Ireland only started on 1st January 1864, although non-Catholic (Protestant or Registry Office) marriages were registered from 1845.

4. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

Yes - but sadly I think I was looking at the wrong marriage:oops:. I should have been looking for Eliza's marriage not her mother's!

5. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Drat! :(

6. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

The spellings on the UHF site marriage index for the 1885 marriage were Elizabeth Adair and William Sparks (no e)so those are the spellings the GRO would need I expect.

Apologies for earlier mistake - I came here via your more recent Girvan post and led myself astray!

7. daisydogno1

daisydogno1 New Member

I am sorry if I wrote the wrong thing but the "thhp address" on the bottom has ancestryireland.com on the computer address.
    I am trying to upload the doc but I am not sure if I have it correctly

Attached Files:

8. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Correctly done Daisydogno1.

9. daisydogno1

daisydogno1 New Member

I have now the dates of death of both Elizabeth and William Sparks.After 1911 the family seemed to loose the "e" in Sparkes and go by the name Sparks. This is the name my mum had. Elizabeth died on 30/11/1911 aged 45 which would mean her D.O.B. would be 1866. William died 12/2/1931 aged 61.This makes him born in 1870. When they married in 1885 Elizabeth would have been 19 years old and William just 15 years. Makes sense that William needed a " Disp" to get married.The Elizabeth that Huncamunca found in Scotland could have been correct or out by 1 year. William is harder to track down. He could be William E Sparks in the 1871 census in Hull-Est Riding of Yorkshire or William Sparkes from St Faiths, Norfolk, William Sparkes from Wellington, Somerset, or William Sparkes from Hereford City, Hereford.This is pure guessing but if you could help, even if it is to say I am wrong, I would welcolm it.

Ma-dotcom likes this.