Speechley/Stretton

Discussion in 'Huntingdonshire' started by warncoort, Aug 24, 2014.

1. warncoort

warncoort Guest

Folks,
    William Speechley b 1822,Yaxley, son of Robert and Mary (Clare) marries Jane Stretton, b 1822, in 1839 in Yaxley,her father shown as William.1841 census has the couple living in Yaxley,later having two daughters,Mary Clare b 1842 and Elizabeth b 1844,before William dies in 1850.
    1851 census, shows Jane,Mary and Elizabeth in the home of Christopher Tittman with all three shown as daughters.I can see no record of a baptism of Jane Tittman.
    Would i be safe in taking this census entry to be an enumerator error,or is there a connection i haven't made?
    Eric

2. warncoort

warncoort Guest

Folks,
    Problem solved,William Stretton dies before Jane is born,mother Sarah marries Christopher Tittman in Oct 1839,census entry in 1851 for Jane should read step daughter.
    Eric

Daft Bat likes this.
  3. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

It's lovely when a problem is resolved. :)

One to look out for - step-daughters recorded as daughters. ;) Another way that they confuse us is by sometimes calling them daughters-in-law, because they have been 'adopted' so it is 'lawful'. o_O