St. Weonards records

Discussion in 'Herefordshire' started by Adam McGregor, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Adam McGregor

Adam McGregor Active Member

Hello,

My ancestor was born in St. Weonards in 1800. Her parents were John Watkins and Mary Greenaway, who had married in the parish in 1787. I know nothing of Mary. I don't know when either parent died, nor anything of John's parents, Thomas and Anne (nothing about their births, marriages or deaths). Any help with this brick wall would be greatly appreciated!

Adam

2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

What was your ancestor's name, please?

3. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

Susanna Watkins?

4. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Adam,

FMP show baptismal transcriptions at St Weonards for Mary in 1789, Anne in 1793, Sarah in 1795, Jane in 1798, Susanna in 1800, John in 1802 & Elizabeth in 1804 all children of John & Mary WATKINS.

Herefordshire FHS Burial Index shows the burial of a John WATKINS at St Weonards on 29 April 1820, aged 56, of Trevranning, Herein's Cost and this is confirmed by the National Burial Index. Baptism in 1764 at St Weonards of John son of Thomas & Anne WATKINS, so that fits in beautifully. It does, however, seem to be the only baptism at St Weonards for Thomas & Anne WATKINS. At the moment, I am not having much luck finding the marriage of Thomas & Anne, nor their burial records.

3 possible burials for Mary WATKINS nee GREENAWAY at St Weonards according to Herefordshire Burial Index, one on 8 May 1818, of Cluns Wood, aged 48, one on 10 December 1819, of Partridge's Nest, aged 50, and the last on 8 May 1834, of Penrhos Green, aged 71. Then looking for likely baptisms of a Mary GREENAWAY using these burial records, I have come up with one on 17 June 1764 at Peterstow (which is very close to St Weonards) daughter of Francis GREENAWAY & Ann. Herefordshire FHS Marriage Index shows the marriage at Peterstow on 7 May 1757 of a Francis GREENWAY & Ann FULLER.

Janet

5. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Now, this becomes much more speculative. Looking for the marriage of a Thomas WATKINS to an Ann(e) from 1754-1764, I have found one at Kenderchurch, Herefordshire (again not too far from St Weonards) of a Thomas WATKINS & an Ann SE(A)BORN. No baptisms to this couple at Kenderchurch that I can find so far. However, there are these baptisms at Orcop - pretty close to St Weonards - for children of a Thomas & Ann WATKINS, namely Elizabeth 1765, Joseph 1768 & Rachel in 1770. But as I say, this is extremely speculative, especially given that the surname, with these forenames, is extremely common in Herefordshire.

Janet

Bay Horse and Daft Bat like this.
  6. Adam McGregor

Adam McGregor Active Member

Thanks for all of that! That's very helpful.

Bay Horse likes this.