Stephen Borer

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Elma, Apr 19, 2022.

1. Elma

Elma Well-Known Member

Well I am nearly back on track. Having missed doing family history I realised how much I missed it. I racked my woolly brain and tried to think of a project that I could do. One line of my ancestors is the Borer (Boorer) family from Rudgwick in Sussex. It's the one line I have struggled with the most.

Stephen Borer c1785-1856 is my 3x great grandfather. How this family liked to complicate things, they all used the same family names and liked to marry cousins with the same name. My second great grandfather went to France and my great grandmother disappeared. We have discussed them here before. I had given up on them but something told me to go back to my lesser known 3rd time great grandfather and take the family one by one. I may even find clues there. If I don't I will still find out more about my ancestors and the bonus of it is, that this family lived fairly near where I do now, so if it all gets too much I can trot over and visit the area, which is a lovely place. In this day and age of dodging the virus, picnics and walks are quite in order.
    Any suggestions as to the best place to look for parish records for Rudgwick Sussex, are there any online?
    Stephen Borer married Mary. I have never seen a marriage for him but them seem to have started to have children in Rudgwick from 1809. I have found a couple of their children.
    Thank you for reading
    Elizabeth

2. Londoner

Londoner Will always roll up her sleeves and dig around

Rudgewick baptisms are at Family Search but I'm not sure when they start. If you have any marriages into the Tate family we may have a connection!

Ma-dotcom and Elma like this.
  3. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Ancestry have several baptismal transcriptions for the children of Stephen & Mary at Rudgwick namely: William baptised 9 April 1809, George 20 March 1811, Hannah 23 May 1813, Henry 4 June 1815, Stephen 30 March 1817, John 30 May 1819 & Mary 22 April 1821 who died/was buried 25 April 1823 - just in case you do not have all of them.

1851 census shows that Stephen was a widower and supposedly born c1783 at Rudgwick but although there seem to be three BORER families having children around this time, i.e. a William & Elizabeth, a John & Ann & a Benjamin & Elizabeth, I cannot find a baptismal record for Stephen. There is a death record on Ancestry for a Mary BORER at Rudgwick in 1849, aged 63, which may be relevant to you.

Sorry, not much help to you.

Janet

Elma and Ma-dotcom like this.
  4. burt

burt Where there's a will there's a way!

Janet is right with what she has listed with the exception of
    1841 Jul 18 Ann BORER d Stephen & Mary of Five Oaks
    Billingshurst aged 18.
    I am very tied up today dealing with the affairs of a 91year
    old lady but will come back. The William and Elizabeth are
    of Cranleigh and then Ewhurst Surrey.

Elma likes this.
  5. Elma

Elma Well-Known Member

It's all a bit confusing with so many Borers in the area. Quite a few years ago I was told of someone who did a one name study of the name Borers in that area and he was said to have worked it out, sadly he died before i got in contact and his wife allegedly deleted all his family history research! The connection I have seems to be from Stephen and mary and I must say I have quite a few DNA connections which also descend from Stephen. So that seems a good starting point.
    I know they say start with yourself and go backwards but sometimes that's impossible. I thought it would be fascinating to learn about Stephen and Mary and their children. Hopefully some fared better than my GG grandfather Edwin.

6. Elma

Elma Well-Known Member

That's a great help thank you. I must descend from George baptised 20 March 1911. What I haven't worked out yet is the record office, as Sussex seems to have two. Knowing my luck I will go to the wrong one!

7. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I'll check my marriage C.D. for you a bit later Elizabeth. It is getting a little aged & takes a while to decide whether or not to work ;)

Elma likes this.
  8. burt

I have already checked Sussex Marriage Index CD, Wendy, for Stephen
    Borer and variants.
    There is a Stephen Boarer and Mary married 1806 Hartlepool, which I suppose if he was in the Sussex Militia at that time during the Napoleonic Wars is not impossible and there is a Stephen Borlia marrying a Mary Hadham at St Marylebone in October 1807 with banns on A and a page listing of the names but not Hardwicke's Register.
    The Baptism I think I have found at Alfold, Surrey, it reads :-
    Farley Stephen baseborn son of Mary Borer November 6
    So perhaps we should look again at Marriages for Farley?

Elma, Ma-dotcom and Half Hour like this.
  9. Elma

Elma Well-Known Member

Thank you. I have also ordered the death certificates for Stephen and Mary Borer as Janet identified. The family seemed to cross the boundary to Surrey quite often. I'm still to work out the record office though.

10. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

I think it might be the East Sussex RO in Chichester, they have a phone number, perhaps worth giving them a call and checking that it is the right one.

Elma likes this.
  11. Elma

Elma Well-Known Member

I will do that today. I bet anything though the records I want will straddle the two record offices. I wish they would make it clearer online.

MollyMay likes this.
  12. burt

When the Parish Register Transcription Society were producing each parish for publication on CD they used those housed at Chichester RO. Rudgwick was number 22 on their list, so I reckon Chichester. You can buy the CD through Genfair under Sussex Family History Group's listing. As a member I used my access to the Index.
    Edited to add that a years membership of SFHG would give you access to all the parish registers of Rudgwick and that surround it in Sussex.

Elma and Daft Bat like this.
  13. burt

Failed to say that Ancestry have indexed it under Faney.

Elma likes this.
  14. Elma

Elma Well-Known Member

Thanks Burt I have now done that.:)

burt likes this.
  15. burt

Try as I have, I cannot find another marriage of Stephen and Mary Borer or Farley nor any other of several avenues I explored, apart from the one at St Hilda, South Shields, Durham. It is not inconceivable as if he served a term in the Militia they may have been sent anywhere and nearly always around the coast. However, I see no evidence as yet that he did do a spell in the Militia. The marriage was 1806 May 7 Stephen Boarer and Mary Galley.
    It seems the name Borer and variants is rare in Durham.
    I cannot locate further details for the marriage and wonder whether it is worth a punt to get a copy of the original?

Elma likes this.
  16. Elma

Elma Well-Known Member

Thanks Burt
    I am not quite sure how much information I would get from this though, let alone know how to do it.:confused:

burt likes this.