Still looking for Dorothy Moffat - a possible lead?

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by Moff, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Moff

Moff Well-Known Member

Still hunting my elusive first cousin once-removed, Dorothy Moffat, who was born in Brunswick, Melbourne, Australia in 1888. Her parents were Hugh Moffat and Ellen Moreland.

I've previously tried to trace her via the possibility that she married Harold Robert Henderson, with no luck.

I'm now investigating something that I found online in one of those huge “name-gatherer” trees – apparently she married a chap called Norman Mansbridge.

Now, I can't find that marriage anywhere, nor can I find a birth for a man called Norman Mansbridge of an age to be marrying Dorothy. (I'd expect him to be of similar age, or a few years older, although I know there are exceptions – my paternal grandfather was 31 years older than my grandmother!)

According to something else online, there was a newspaper announcement of her engagement in 1912. However, in the newspaper report of her grandfather Samuel Moreland's funeral in 1924 she is referred to as Dorothy Moffat. Of course newspapers don't always get things right...

Can anyone help with finding the marriage to Norman Mansbridge, please?

2. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

The only ones I can find in the state of Victoria are:-

MOFFATT Dorothy May
    UNIACKE Norman Joseph
    Reg. year1914
    Reg. no10257

MOFFATT Dor'y Mary
    MARSLAND Jas Alfd Wm
    Reg. year1942
    Reg. no14432

3. Moff

Moff Well-Known Member

Sorry, I should have clarified - Dorothy's family didn't stay in Australia, but returned to the UK. She was definitely in Gloucester in 1924 but of course could have gone anywhere.

4. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

:( ...... :D

Joanne likes this.
  5. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

in last qtr of 1924 a Dorothy M Moffat married Mowbray J Johnson in Bristol.
    Maybe something happened and she later married Norman.
    OR..
    perhaps it is mis-transcribed as the only death for a Mowbray Johnson has his wife's name as Margaret Sanderson in the Darlington, England, West Cemetery index on Ancestry.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  6. Moff

Moff Well-Known Member

"My" Dorothy didn't have a middle name so I think this one is unlikely :(

7. Londoner

Londoner Will always roll up her sleeves and dig around

The Cheltenham Chronicle has a report of her grandfather's will which also calls her Dorothy Moffat. It mentions Philip Moreland, her mother Ellen Moffat, and his other grandchildren Mary Moreland Moffat, Harry Ann May Moreland and his daughter Ella Moreland.

8. Moff

Moff Well-Known Member

I guess that would be in 1924, not long after her grandfather's death. . (Wondering if that's what I remember seeing?)
    I'm still learning towards my original thought that Dorothy is the Dorothy Henderson, wife of Harold Robert Henderson, to whom probate was granted when her mother Ellen died in 1943. Can't figure out where/if(?) Norman Mansbridge comes into the picture :(

9. Londoner

Londoner Will always roll up her sleeves and dig around

None of the biographies of Norman Mansbridge ( cartoonist) mention his having married .

10. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Not an answer to your question, sorry but searching around I have found, maybe you already have the information, but here goes.
    Brother George enlisted in the Australian Army in Victoria in 1914. Going through his 118 page report we find (as found on another forum) that he married in England 2 years previously. Letters from his wife to the army suggest that he deserted her. She was supposed to follow him out but he did the runner, not returning any of her letters. When he enlisted he gives his NOK as his Aunt Ellen Moffat at a Melbourne address (who was this aunt Ellen) The army had sent letters to the address given but were returned, address unknown.
    Another form whilst trying to get out of the army he states that his mother and two sisters were living in England and in another letter he says that his mother was back in England two years before war broke out. So that would have the family moving back from Australia around 1912 when he married Jessie Adelaide Clark.
    Also letters and telegrams from TJ? Moreland & Sons Limited, Gloucesterhire, Timber Importers etc.
    Still cant find any other contender for Dorothy.

11. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

I can see Dorothy on the 1891 census in Barton St Mary, Gloucester ( RG12; Piece: 2018; Folio: 53; Page: 18;)
    And 1901 in Northfield, Kings Norton, Worcestershire (RG13; Piece: 2808; Folio: 8; Page: 7)
    Then the trail goes cold.

12. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Found her in 1911 in St Peter Port, Guernsey; she's a boarder in the household of Alfred George Matthews (1874). Dorothy said to be a resident of London Middlesex. RG14; Piece 34782; RD 636;

13. Archie's Mum

She certainly gets about!

14. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

A tree on Ancestry has Harold Robert Henderson born 1885 Gloucestershire, living in Kinnoull, Perthshire, Scotland in 1901 (an engineers apprentice), his wife is said to be Dolly Moffat. Have you checked Scottish records for a possible marriage?

HRH parents are entered as Harold Dalton Henderson and Mary Maria MOFFAT

15. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

In 1901 Dorothy would have only been 13 years old so must be a different Dorothy and Harold.

16. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Apologies, I didn't make myself clear. In 1901 Harold is with his parents and he's unmarried, my train of thought is: did Dorothy move up to Scotland some time later and marry Harold.

17. Archie's Mum

I like that one.

18. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Only one found on 1939 is said to be married, image shows a "W" for widow. B.3rd Aug. 1888.Can't find actual date of birth on Ancestry, or Vic.Birth s online just year. 1888 & parents names a given.

1939 Dorothy is in 59 Upland Grove , Leeds C.B., Yorkshire (West Riding), England a bit far from the 1911 sighting.
    Have looked for a return to Australia, not so far found.
    not a good morning here.

However there was a marriage to a
    Hayward William F Moffat Surrey Mid.E. 2a 1082-- Sep 1937
    a possible even tho', there are 5 blacked out lines.
    Haywood Household (2 People)
    101 Nansen Road , Birmingham C.B., Warwickshire, England
    Ref: RG101/5552C/004/35 Letter Code

19. Archie's Mum

Just a quickie before I go out but...Rootsweb Ancestry for Hugh Moffat says he died in 1912 and 'his daughters marriage announcement in 1912' says that 'he was from London'. However it could mean Mary Moreland Moffat but I can't find a marriage for her at the moment either.

Ma-dotcom likes this.
  20. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Mary Moreland Moffat is still single and living with her mother in 1939.

Archie's Mum likes this.