Storing Data

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Dogsday, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Dogsday

Dogsday Well-Known Member

I was wondering what everyone does about storing all the genealogy data they have collected over the years, I seem to be getting all mine into such a muddled mess, I don't really know where to store it. I have my genealogy software but doesn't seem adequate for the task, certificates, hard copies, are all stored in folders but all the census sources are in a computer folder, 100's of them, then there's all the research & queries not finished etc.
    I seem to have started to worry since my health started going downhill, although my family are not interested in all the years of work I have done I would still like to leave everything in an organized fashion. Any suggestions? :confused:

Bay Horse likes this.
  2. GrannyBarb

GrannyBarb Custodian of the Family Accounts

It's difficult to get it organized in electronic folders, but with a little effort, it can be done. I have a thumb drive dedicated to backups of my software and downloads of images, books, plus my research notes and email correspondence. It's far from perfect, but it's something.
    Next, store the drive in an envelope with an explanatory note with your hard copy records. After that, the hard part is to replace /update on a regular basis.

Good luck! :)

Ma-dotcom and Dogsday like this.
  3. ColinA

ColinA Active Member

My documents are stored in profile folders organised by Ahnentafel numbers but I also keep certificate scans in a set of BMD folders on my PC. I backup Roots Magic to Google Drive and Dropbox but need to leave my daughter the passwords, but clearly do not wish to do so now! (I have a solution in mind.) I tend not to keep all the copies of census pages except for the main members of my tree. Can say more if anyone is interested.

Ma-dotcom, GrannyBarb and Dogsday like this.
  4. Dogsday

very interested Colin, are your 'profile folders' on your PC too?

5. ColinA

ColinA Active Member

I actually meant on my PC when I wrote it but didn't make it clear. It turns out that I do also have concertina files labelled in like manner into which I place paper copies. Will say more later or PM you - off to bed now.

Dogsday likes this.
  6. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

I have Brother's Keeper software, the contents of which are backed up to two external hard drives. I was talked into reducing my paper clutter a few years ago and scanning everything onto file - and then I had a computer crash where my hard drive frazzled and nothing was recoverable, which got me thinking about all those dusty tomes sitting in archive offices that have survived for hundreds of years without technology.
    My paper certificates are in one of those fancy certificate folders purchased from eBay years ago (so heavy now; I need to dust my palms and squat just to pick it up) but I found a budget high street stationer sold cheap acid-free A4 display folders that are absolutely brilliant for keeping paperwork together - photos too. I have quite a lot of those, and they take up very little space compared to old-fashioned ringbinders.
    I have a list of passwords for everything on my desk. I'm in the process of tidying up my downloads folder - just a ridiculous amount of stuff in there that I don't need. :sceptical:

7. Dogsday

Heaven:)

I have Ancestral Quest & although I have tried others I seem to keep going back to it. I have just ordered one of those concertina case thingies, Colin's idea, that should hold a lot of my paperwork & I have a lot backed up to flash drives including media files.
    I have tried making a gedcom with AQ but when I transfer it into different software, Rootsmagic or Legacy a lot of the notes ie: census info & sources are missing or corrupt, must be the way the programmes store data, bit beyond me :rolleyes:

GrannyBarb, Bay Horse and Ma-dotcom like this.
  8. GJH

GJH Active Member

I have been using Brothers Keeper since the DOS days of around 25 years ago but don't keep everything in there.
    I have folders for each surname and other subjects which contain a mixture of word processor, spreadsheet, image and PDF files. I've recently completed the scanning of all my paper files (apart from some certificates) to PDF and the originals are now stored out of the way in the loft.

Certificates are in acid free files - one loose leaf for large ones plus an A4 one (which I suspect came from the same stationer).
    Photographs are in albums with pocket pages, some scanned but others still to do.

All my computer files are automatically backed up to two NAS drives using software which monitors for changes in nominated folders. I also back up each week to three portable USB drives which are kept in different locations (a bit over the top maybe but I did spend 30 odd years in IT :)).

I do not load any of my data to any cloud storage system (specific genealogy site or not) and never will. Having studied the terms of such sites when I was working I simply don't trust them to store and treat the data properly.

9. GJH

GJH Active Member

The reason data goes missing or is corrupted when transferring between different programs using Gedcom is that they don't confine themselves to the base standard. Different developers use their own extensions to the standard and data stored in those fields do not transfer properly.
    In addition, the ambiguity in the tagging system (BAPM v CHR for instance) means that data do not always transfer properly depending on the usage by the source and receiving software. We found that we had to check such settings when we had our tree printing business.

10. Dogsday

GJH, thank you, I understand some of what you say but I am not a Techie.
    I have loaded a little of my tree to familysearch org but like you I don't trust the subscriber sites. Most of my photos are in files on my computer, I do back them up to flash drives etc but perhaps I would be better scanning them as well.
    I am so glad I opened this thread, I can use ideas from everyone :):)

Bay Horse and Daft Bat like this.
  11. GJH

GJH Active Member

If your photos are in files on your computer then they must be scanned already :) It's only hard copy photos (and other papers) which haven't already been done that need scanning :)
    I would always use an off-line genealogy program rather than any cloud service (even Family Search).

Dogsday likes this.
  12. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

I use FTM exclusively, with a backup on Legacy, (which I don't like) plus various jump drives, etc. But recently I discovered an FB group for FTM that is amazingly helpful and am learning a lot from them. One thing I didn't know I should be doing is "compacting" the program!! I couldn't believe the size difference of my backups!!! Cut out about 83% of useless wasted space!

To my thinking, it was just a spot to store my data and I rarely print reports, etc... Scottish background so cheap re printer ink! :D

Have a look for this group if you are interested and FTM support is usually lurking and very helpful! Most are using the latest version and syncing with Ancestry, but I'm not. Nor do I have any sort of tree out there other than the LDS site, but no personal notes on it! Kinda sorry I started that but no longer add much to it...it is all part of their "communal tree" :mad:

Bay Horse and Dogsday like this.
  13. Dogsday

As I said I have put a few of my ancestors on the LDS site but don't anymore, when you say compacting the program, do you mean compacting your tree when you back up to one of your own drives ?
    I'm not on FB, not a fan, I'm on Twitter but rarely use it :rolleyes:

14. Dogsday

Dopey me :rolleyes: I haven't got many hard copies of my photos, my brother would only let me scan some of them after my parents died, what I should have said is, I should print the photos & put them in albums.
    I've never used a cloud service & don't intend to :D

GJH likes this.
  15. Figgs

Figgs Well-Known Member

No Twitter here, but on FB. But as for compacting.....assuming you are using Family Treemaker (can't speak for other programs)....

1. Do a MANUAL BACKUP first from File/Backup.........however there is a choice in the compaction box to do it before actually compacting. I will try to explain the auto backup below.

2. Go to Tools?/Compact and click on that. There you have the above choice. I preferred to backup the usual way first. Let it run till it stops and it might say there isn't any more to compact. Not sure without doing it again.

3. The goal is to get to 0% for temp and junk files. As a side note, I run CCleaner every day on my laptops and android to get rid of crappy stuff and temp files. So why I didn't think of this, I dunno. I can't remember how much it compacted it other than 83%. I have 2,100 names on it.

4. Credit to a James Clouse on the FTM group for the following explanation of what exactly the auto backup, *.ftm and *.ftmb backups consist of.....

***The autobackup is data only (no media files) so it will be much smaller depending on the amount of media you have. The full backup FTMB file will contain the data file and the media folder.

FTM file = Working, unzipped data file.
    FTMB file = Zip Archive of data file and media folder if media is included in backup. Must be "Restored" from FTM to use.***

**You will note in that last line, he said "must be RESTORED"**.....not just opened, I guess. I just open a new tree usually, didn't know that.

There are some amazing people on this group who will walk you thru stuff when you don't know how.

Hope this is clear.....I copied his instructions onto a folder on my desktop.

Must check the Legacy program which I just use like a backup.....to see if that is needed on there. I think Wendy uses it cuz I do read their FB group too. I find it very confusing, compared to FTM 2012. Do you compact Legacy, Wendy??

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Dogsday and Bay Horse like this.