Struggling with Joseph and Mary Ellis of Stanley

Discussion in 'Yorkshire' started by Adam McGregor, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Adam McGregor

Adam McGregor Active Member

Hello,

My ancestor Ann Ellis was christened in Stanley in 1825. She appears to have had a sister, Harriet Ellis, christened there in 1833. I can’t see any trace of them in 1841, and Ann appears to be living with another family, as there is a fifteen year-old Ann Ellis living with Charles and Frances Beevers in Stanley. I can see two possible deaths for her father Joseph - one is buried in Stanley in 1837, aged thirty-six, and the second is buried in Stanley in Stanley in 1870, having been in an asylum. However, I cannot find anything for her mother Mary. There is a widowed Mary Ellis living in Stanley in 1851, but her husband was Benjamin Ellis.

I am inclining more towards the first burial, as it would explain why Ann was away from home. I wonder if Charles and Frances Beevers are relatives; they married in Wakefield in 1839, and Frances’ maiden name was Haigh. Charles was the son of Charles Beevers, and Frances was the daughter of Thomas Haigh.

I’d greatly appreciate any help!

Adam

P.S. I’m also searching for the baptism of a William Boulton, son of Joseph and Ann, in Stanley in 1850 or 1851. No luck on FamilySearch or FMP.

2. Adam McGregor

Just reviewed Ann’s marriage. Her father-in-law was deceased, so no occupation was recorded for him. However, Ann’s father was recorded with an occupation. Could this be an indicator that he was still alive in 1847?

3. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

1851/61 & 71 census records of Stanley show a William BOULTON or BOLTON born c1850/51, father John BOULTON, mother Ann, with a brother Joseph born c1845. This William BOULTON marries Emily JESSOP at Stanley on 13 October 1872 - image available to view on Ancestry - one of the witnesses being his brother Joseph BOULTON - is this likely to be your William BOULTON as I cannot, so far, find another William BOULTON/BOLTON with a Stanley connection? The birth registrations of both this William (BOULTON) & his brother Joseph (BOLTON) show his mother's maiden name to be ELLIS.

Janet

Adam McGregor likes this.
  4. Adam McGregor

Hello Janet, amazing, I hadn’t found Joseph’s birth registered! Possibly because it was Bolton not Boulton. I’ll be sure to order that. And yes, that is definitely his brother.

5. Adam McGregor

Also, I haven’t been able to find the family in 1861. What’s Joseph’s birthplace given as? I see his birth was registered in the Wortley registration district rather than the Wakefield registration district - presumably because his parents weren’t married until three years later and went elsewhere to have him. In 1851 his parents say Stanley, and he gives this as his birthplace on all the other censuses.

6. janetbooth

1861 census reference is RG9/3420, folio 112, page 14. The family are living at Stanley Lane End: John BOLTON, aged 40, Ag Lab, born Stanley, wife Anne, aged 36, born Stanley, son Joseph, aged 16, born Penistone & son William, aged 10, born Stanley (shown as born Wakefield in 1851 census).

Joseph's baptismal image is available to view on Ancestry and it shows he was born 15 September, baptised 29 December 1844 at Stanley St Peter, son of John & Ann BOULTON, Lake Lock, Labourer. William's baptismal record is also on Ancestry, again at Stanley St Peter on 20 July 1850, son of John & Ann BOLTON, Lake Lock, Labourer. John BOULTON's marriage record to Ann ELLIS on 3 October 1847 at Stanley is also available to view on Ancestry.

Burial for a Harriet ELLIS at Stanley St Peter on 3 May 1835, aged 1 year - image available to view on Ancestry.

Janet

7. Adam McGregor

Thanks for all of this Janet! I’ve noted all those details down. I had Joseph’s baptism and birthdate already, thankfully. He always believed he was born in Stanley - probably didn’t know he was illegitimate either.

8. janetbooth

Now this could be a total red herring, but given that Joseph was born in Penistone according to the 1861 census, there is a Mary ELLIS, aged 40, born Yorkshire, living in High Hoyland, Penistone in the 1841 census, living in the household of a Hannah HUNTER (HO107/1324/1, folio 10, page 11). There is also a Banns record at Penistone dated 1 August 1841 for a Mary ELLICE & a John COOK (previous banns record for Mary ELLIS & John COOK dated 10 November 1839 at Penistone) but frustratingly I cannot find a marriage to see if she was a widow!

Janet

9. Adam McGregor

Aha! So you’re wondering if he was born at his grandmother’s house perhaps? That does sound like a promising lead. I’ll have a sniff around too. The wedding for this might lead to the elusive wedding to Joseph Ellis.

10. Adam McGregor

I can’t find an actual marriage record. Did they marry in the end?

Edit: I’ve reviewed the 1841 Census and she was living in High Flatts, apparently a Quaker hamlet about four miles from Penistone.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  11. Adam McGregor

And I also see a death for a Mary Ellis in the Wortley district in 1850. Can’t see the age as the GRO page isn’t working for me. No sign of a burial.

12. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

FreeBMD have

Deaths Mar 1850 - ELLIS, Mary - Wortley - 22 - 507

Original image
    upload_2020-9-2_16-6-43.png

GRO don't have one for Wortley

They have
    upload_2020-9-2_16-7-3.png

Same Volume and Page No.

FreeBMD says Worsley was only a registration district from 1841 - 1849

Wortley is in the West Riding of Yorkshire
    Worsley is in Lancashire

Looking at the original image for all Mary Ellis's who died in March 1850 there isn't one in Worsley. The only one is in Wortley.

I think there has been a transcription error at the GRO

13. Adam McGregor

As the second image includes Penistone in the registration district, that might be her. However she’s born c. 1786, while the 1841 Census, although rounding ages up, would be c. 1801. It would make sense however, as she’s not seen in 1851, and apparently never married John Cook, as @janetbooth found. I’m wondering if she couldn’t marry him because Joseph Ellis was still alive - the Joseph Ellis in an asylum that died in 1870, and was buried in Stanley.

14. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

I think the GRO must have made a mistake. Worsley to Penistone is 42 miles, if it were Wortley to Penistone it's only 4 n half miles.

15. janetbooth

Mmm, that death registration doesn't tie in with the Mary ELLIS in the 1841 census of Penistone whose age is shown as 40 on the census record. However, there is a burial record at Penistone on 27 May 1849 for a Mary ELLIS, High Flats?, aged 54, which would fit in with the 1841. I am having no luck finding the marriage of Joseph ELLIS to a Mary with any certainty, but coincidentally in the 1841 census of Penistone, there is a John ELLIS living at High Flatts who looks to be a widower, no likely wife with him, aged 40, a Stone Mason, who has amongst his likely children a Harriot and a Joseph. Again, very much speculation going on here, but ....

Tackling Joseph ELLIS, his likely birth & death, I should think the 1837 burial record at Stanley, aged 36, is the most likely death record for him, given that there are no other baptisms for children of Joseph & Mary ELLIS at Stanley after the birth & death of Harriet and I cannot find a burial record for Mary ELLIS at Stanley prior to 1841. It would seem likely that the burial for Joseph ELLIS in 1870 at Stanley, from the Asylum, referred to the West Riding Pauper Lunatic Asylum in Wakefield which opened in 1818. Looking at the baptisms in Stanley for children of a Joseph ELLIS, there is one married to a Nancy who is having children up to 1849, the last child being a daughter Jane, but he seems to have been baptised c1820 at Rothwell according to census records & his marriage, so not the Joseph buried in 1870. None of which helps to tie down which Joseph & Mary ELLIS are the parents of your Ann at the moment I'm afraid

Janet

16. Adam McGregor

Excellent, that does look to be her! I can’t find the civil registration of the death sadly. I’ll note it all down.

17. Adam McGregor

Have looked a little more into John Ellis. He married Mary Emmit/Emmet in Penistone in 1817, and their last son Alfred was born in 1838 - his birth registration and christening both give his mother’s maiden name as Emmet. Presumably John’s wife died between 1838 and 1841, and he appears to have died before 1851, frustratingly.

18. Adam McGregor

Actually here’s Alfred and siblings in 1851:
    Code:
    https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SP98-2G6
    Will have to go on FMP to view the other side.

19. Adam McGregor

Born around 1798 in Highburton, Kirkburton parish. Two christenings there, one in 1796 and one in 1797.