STURDY research

Discussion in 'Yorkshire' started by Findem, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

I'm living in hope someone will put some Yorkshire PRs on Free Reg, either that or index some PRs but I won't be holding my breath. :D

My ancestor Oswald Sturdy c 1709 continues to defeat me, I know when and where he married, Tadcaster, I also know where he baptised children and was buried, both events at Nun Monkton, he wasn't born/baptised at either place.

Now his wife Elizabeth Reynold was a different kettle of fish, I found her baptism along with 11 siblings, without too much trouble.

One of these days!

Bay Horse likes this.
  2. Nightryder

Nightryder Well-Known Member

Derek, Not sure if you have this, Is this your Oswald, mentioned as Sturdy Ofwald in the Yorkshire poll books of 1741 a freeholder, Howden.

Bay Horse likes this.
  3. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

I haven't come across that record so many thanks.

That is very likely to be the Oswald Sturdy I'm looking for, he was born I suspect around 1708 which is a guesstimate based on his marriage.

What I am aware of is that his son Oswald Sturdy (baptised at Nun Monkton Yorkshire 21 Jul 1736) paid Land Tax in 1800 at Tadcaster, Yorkshire, wondering that if the land he paid tax on was left to him by his father Oswald senior. Tadcaster incidentally is where Oswald married his wife Elizabeth Reynold and Elizabeth was baptised in Tadcaster.

In the burial entry for Oswald senior, 6 Mar 1742 at Nun Monkton, Oswald senior was noted as a Gardener.

Another Sturdy, Thomas was buried 25 Jul 1726 at Nun Monkton, he was also noted as a Gardener, your piece of info makes me wonder if the land was one that had passed down through three generations of Sturdys. Perhaps the gardening the Sturdys did was on their own land, on something in the nature of a Small Holding

I've long suspected that the Thomas Sturdy mentioned above might be Oswald senior's father because Oswald senior c1708 named his second son Thomas.

Family search gave me two children of Thomas Sturdy baptised at Nun Monkton, Elizabeth 28 Feb 1691 and Jane 7 Feb 1696 but no Oswald found.

So I wonder what awaits at Howden, Oswald's first two children Oswald and Thomas were both baptised the same day at Nun Monkton so it's likely one or both were born elsewhere.

Bay Horse likes this.
  4. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Elizabeth Reynold should read Elizabeth Rennold, shouldn't rely on memory, fatal! :oops: :rolleyes: :)

5. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Howden PRs have been transcribed on Free Reg but no Oswald or his possible father Thomas.

From some research I did a couple or so years ago I have what could be the marriage of Oswald senior's parents, if his father is a Thomas Sturdy.
    From Family Search: Thomas Sturdy married Elizabeth Maud of Shambles 24 Feb 1689 at St Peter, Leeds, Yorkshire.

Could someone with a FMP sub check if the PRs for St Peter Leeds are available and cover the 1689 to 1690ish period.

I'm not sure how well or much of St Peter Leeds PRs have been transcribed on F S, if FMP have the period I need, it might be worth me taking out a sub to search.

I did find on F S William son of Thomas Sturdy born 24 Oct 1694 and baptised 25 Nov 1694 at St Peter Leeds.

I am aware of a Thomas, son of Thomas Sturdy, baptised 2 Mar 1698 at Whixley Yorkshire but alas no mother's name, that's also from F S, Whixley is not too far from Nun Monkton, nor is Leeds.

6. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

There's a heap of Yorkshire records but I can't find out which parishes, though I'm sure it's there somewhere!:rolleyes:

Findem likes this.
  7. arthurk

arthurk Well-Known Member

Leeds PRs are at Ancestry, and the BTs are at FindMyPast.

FamilySearch incorporates what used to be the IGI, which for Yorkshire was mainly (exclusively?) sourced from the BTs. However, the LDS later created other databases (remember the British Isles Vital Records Index, anyone?) and these included some of the PRs, though by no means all of them.

For Leeds there's an overview of what's available where at
    Code:
    https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Leeds_St_Peter,_Yorkshire_Genealogy
    but in the list of registers etc there's a mistake in the codes shown above the table. AC is Ancestry, and the code for FreeReg is FRG.

Ma-dotcom, Findem, Chimp and 2 others like this.
  8. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Thanks for that info Arthur, I have searched for Oswald at Ancestry with no luck but I'll see what's there for Thomas Sturdy and his wife Elizabeth Maud, might tell me whether that couple stay as possibles or not.

Bay Horse likes this.
  9. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Well I found three children, two definitely of the Thomas Sturdy & Elizabeth Maud marriage, another could be.

Mary daughter of Thomas Sturdy of Shambles born 12 Nov 1691 and baptised 26 Nov 1694 at St Peter, Leeds.

William son of Thomas Sturdy of Shambles born 24 Oct 1694 and baptised 15 Nov 1694 at St Peter, Leeds.

No mother's name given in those two baptism entries but as the marriage entry for Thomas and Elizabeth noted "of Shambles", I think it's reasonable to say that those two children are theirs.

Elizabeth daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Sturdy baptised 5 Nov 1693 at Holy Trinity Goodramgate, Yorkshire, I suspect Elizabeth could be the daughter of Thomas Sturdy and his wife Elizabeth Maud but I think it would be difficult to prove.

Then there are the two children of Thomas Sturdy baptised at Nun Monkton, Elizabeth 28 Feb 1691 and Jane 7 Feb 1696 which I've known of for some time. With that Elizabeth being baptised Nov 1691 at Nun Monkton and the Mary baptised 3 months earlier in Nov 1699, I'm inclined to have doubts about Thomas Sturdy and Elizabeth Maud being the parents of the two children, Elizabeth and Jane, baptised in Nun Monkton.

Both Oswald Sturdy senior and the Thomas Sturdy father of Elizabeth and Jane were noted in their burial entries as being "Gardeners", which could indicate a relationship, possibly father and son.

Oswald had two sisters Susannah 1739 (my ancestor) and Elizabeth 1743, I suppose he could have a mother named Susannah or Elizabeth.

At the end of the day I'm undecided about Thomas Sturdy and his wife Elizabeth Maud being my ancestors, I shall now mull it over but I doubt will come enlightenment will come. :headbang: :D

If anyone has any ideas I'd like to know them.

Dogsday, Bay Horse and Sis like this.
  10. Dogsday

Dogsday Well-Known Member

You may already know, there are quite a few PR's for Yorkshire on the Internet Archive, including Howden, which you can download for free :)

Findem and Sis like this.
  11. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Just thought I'd mention that when Oswald's daughter married my ancestor William Adams in 1766 at Great Waltham, Essex, a witness was Elizabeth Sturdy. Susannah had a sister named Elizabeth but of course Elizabeth the witness could be her mother should the mother be an Elizabeth. One thing is for sure I'll never know. :)

Dogsday likes this.
  12. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

No I didn't know about the Yorkshire PRs available on the net for downloading so thanks for that info Dogsday, I'll have a look.

Dogsday likes this.
  13. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Checked out the Howden PRs online marriages 1650 to 1702 looking for any Sturdy marriages but none found, I will be going back there to see what baptism PRs there might be for around the same period and hopefully a few years back.

I did have a piece of luck when searching through some old material, I came across some Sturdy info which might help me, whenever I’ve looked at the Sturdy family, I’ve often felt I should have more info. Yesterday whilst looking through some non-Sturdy info I found some Sturdy info, somehow it got saved in the wrong place, it happened soon after I lost my wife, understandably my head was in a mess/daze at the time.

The fist piece of info was headed “Riccal baptisms, paid duty on baptisms up to this time”.

“Thomas son of Thomas Sturdy, Gardener, by Elizabeth his wife, born 23 Oct 1793 and baptised 6 Nov 1793”.

Then: Thomas Sturdy senior is the son of Jno Sturdy Gardener, late of Cawood and Elizabeth his wife, not sure where this piece of info came from, I think someone found it for me.

Elizabeth is the daughter of Jno Robson, late of Thixendale and Ann his wife.

Thomas Sturdy father of Elizabeth bap 1691 and Jane bap 1696 at Nun Monkton, according to info he was born at Whixley 1665 of James Sturdy and his wife Ann Sugden. Thomas married Margaret ? from Kilburn. The person who gave me this particular info is of believes they had a son baptised at Kilburn in 1685

Whixley is approx. 4 miles from Nun Monkton.

Riccal is approx. 22 miles from Nun Monkton.

Cawood is 24.4 miles from Nun Monkton.

Riccal is 4.4 miles from Cawood.

Riccal is 26.6 miles from Thixendale.

At the moment I’m struggling to form a picture relating to Oswald Sturdy (circa 1708) from all the above.

Sis likes this.
  14. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Had a look on Family Search and found the following.

Marriages
    Thomas Sturdy married Mary Curle 11 Nov 1684 at Kirby-Wiske.
    Thomas Sturdy married Esabella Cant 22 Jul 1691 at St Olaves Marygate York, Yorkshire.

Baptisms
    Thomas son of Thomas Sturde 3 Dec 1685 at Kilburn.
    Mary daug of Thomas Sturdy 24 Nov 1691 at St Peter Leeds.
    William son of Thomas Sturdy 15 Nov 1694 at St Peter Leeds.
    Thomas son of Thomas Sturdy 2 Mar 1698 at Whixley.
    John son of Thomas Sturdy 9 Jan 1715 at Cawood.
    Alice daug of Thomas Sturdy 23 Mar 1719 at Cawood.

Sis likes this.