Sub-less!

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Ma-dotcom, May 17, 2013.

1. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I have just forsaken my long-held Ancestry sub. 'hang the expense' cannot apply here, it cost mucho moola.
    Those of you also without such, will I survive? Can I manage day to day without my daily fix?
    Perhaps I could have made do with just my UK Heritage but became spoilt with World Heritage, also got tired of always being directed to Australian sites when I didn't want them.
    Perhaps I'll join the UK version, it's been recommended. FMP didn't qite cut it for me.
    Such a worrying time of comings & goings.
    So glad one successful landing has been accomplished.

2. Guy

Guy Whose knowledge is boundless. R.I.P.

I manage without taking any subscriptions at all.

I suppose it helps that the bulk of my research now is further back than the records these mainstream providers normally hold.
    If I do need to do "modern" research I wait for one of the free offers to surface and blitz the site then.
    Cheers
    Guy

Daft Bat likes this.
  3. Ma-dotcom

I guess it helps being of the 'further back' variety, & living in the local area,( UK) I cannot go further back in Liverpool because of popularity of John as a first name, without serious expenditure. So many died in a 10 year span. In Sussex, well? heck the family may have moved to London before baptising my person.(or not).

Got to admit a large part of my searches these days were for other folk than mine. Judging by recent find in New York, it still pays to look. Still another there to find.

Blitzing,..shows patience.

4. Mealymoo

Mealymoo A Busy Lizzy

Are there no offers Wendy in Australia? For instance here in UK a well known auction site has an offer for FTM 2012 world edition with 6 months FREE WORLDWIDE Membership to Ancestry uk, for £64.99. Another offer includes uk premium for £28.93.

Hope I'm not breaking any Top Dog rules by posting above details, if so Admin remove and no explanation necessary, thanks.

5. Ma-dotcom

Works out to c Aus $101.5 Mealymoo, but already having Rootsmagic 5 & Legacy 7, I have no need for another similar software pkt. thank you tho'. I've been made aware ,( lost cousins) that the pkge I had can be obtained for less if I go for the UK mode of Anc. If I get despondent, & I surely will, I shall perhaps try for that. Then again perhaps tranny work will keep me so busy I won't need it.
    o_O

6. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

I have just spent almost $350.00 for my annual subscription to Ancestry... I need England and Canada and occasionally the US therefore have to have the World Sub. They know when they have you well and truly hooked o_O You know you can always ask for "help" Wendy :)

Madotcom likes this.
  7. Ma-dotcom

Thank you Sue, should I really get stuck I will, but would rather rely on a sub as sometimes I fly off on a tangent ( when the broom's in for service) having found a possible link & may spend the day on it.
    Wendy