Suicide in Warrington 1909 and Burial, Inquest & Newspaper reports query

Discussion in 'General Family History Queries' started by PaulDoodson, Oct 8, 2019.

1. PaulDoodson

PaulDoodson New Member

I have a relative I'm stuck on, my Great Grandfather William Thompson, he was born in Crossens, Lancs in 1862 and killed himself on the 31st August 1909 in Warrington, Lancashire. I have his death certificate which says "Suicide, found dead hanging by neck at home, mind at time not shown". His inquest (from the death certificate) was on the 1st September 1909. I've been trying to find anything I could and where he might be buried. I wrote to the cemetery/council twice and have had no reply. I don't expect to be able to find the exact place where he was buried but is it possible to find out where the unconsecrated ground was, the vicinity in the cemetery?

I've read that although there would be no burial record (and none I can find), as there would have been no service allowed, there might be a record of a payment in lieu of burial, as it would have had to have been paid for, if these records still exist and have been kept of course. I've also tried to find the inquest and found nothing, it could be my searching error though!

His wife is buried in the Roman Catholic section, I know where her grave is and he is not in it, there are 4 people in it, one of her sons who fell into the river Mersey on his way to work and whose body was found in the Manchester Ship Canal (I've found newspaper stories of this) but none of her husband killing himself. Which I thought in 1909 would definitely have been reported on. Also her other son and his wife are in the grave. The records are online and no husband is in the grave, which is understandable considering it was a Catholic burial ground.

Has anyone had any luck searching for relatives that killed themselves. No-one in our family knew about this and my Grandmother, his Daughter, was only 8 when he killed himself. She left me a picture of him when she died.

I understand it's highly emotive, and back then I think if you "destroyed" yourself (as it was sometimes referred to), you weren't allowed anything to remember yourself by. It's bugging me so much! I just keep coming up against brick walls!

Thanks (please excuse if I've made any mistakes or posted in the wrong section)

Attached Files:

2. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

The only thing I can find in the papers is:-

Liverpool Echo - 1st September 1909
    upload_2019-10-8_19-11-37.png

AnnB and PaulDoodson like this.
  3. PaulDoodson

PaulDoodson New Member

Thank you! That's more than I have! :)

4. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

Our local cemetery (that is now closed for fresh graves but still open for internment in family graves) comes under the burial board. The burial board is a sub division on the Environmental Health of our county council. If I want to find out where someone is buried, and they don't have a headstone, I ring the local council offices and ask for a burial location in the 'named' cemetery. I give them the name and date of death and they get back to me with a location, whether it be consecrated or unconsecrated ground. It makes no difference to the burial board. When someone is to be buried the undertaker has to apply to the burial board for a grant of burial. (for grant read permission to bury) the burial board keeps the record for every burial in each cemetery.

PaulDoodson likes this.
  5. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

In the same paper there is a little bit more information -
    William Thompson (47), a sewerman in the employ of the Warrington Corporation, residing in James Street, was found hanging in his bedroom by his wife last night. Dr Peacock was at once sent for and pronounced life to be extinct. Thompson came home about noon and told his wife he had been stopped at work. He went to bed and asked to be wakened at five o’clock. On going into the room his wife found him hanging.
    I was hoping there might be a full report of the inquest, but I haven’t found one yet.

Chimp likes this.
  6. PaulDoodson

PaulDoodson New Member

I've looked and looked and found nothing, just looked again and found nothing :) .....so thank you

AnnB and Chimp like this.
  7. kernowmaid

kernowmaid Well-Known Member

If you're using the BNA site - search that paper & date with just "Thompson".
    I get 3 "hits", one being headed "Wavertree's Demand" and part-text: "was found ho bedroom by has ode last night"

Oh the joys of machine-read results!:headbang:

Jane

8. PaulDoodson

PaulDoodson New Member

I haven't seen that site before, I just looked on FMP and Anc. So I will go and look now. Thank you