Surprising what is found

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Genie1, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

Taking time away from family history,I looked through the rest of the papers that I brought home from my mother's after her death last year but had just glanced through.
    Among them I found my father's certificate of Service and discharge certificate.
    He joined the Royal Marines 4 months before his 20th birthday .
    The information shows the Name of or Division of ship between 1939 and 1952 and medals received and other documents as well.
    Part of family history now and shall be kept in a safe place.

Findem, Sue036, gillyflower and 14 others like this.
  2. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

When I was sorting out my friend's house after her death last year, I found original birth, marriage and death certificates dating back to 1864. They have been put aside with other things to go to her cousins. :)

Sandiep, Findem, gillyflower and 6 others like this.
  3. dizzyme

dizzyme Well-Known Member

WOW :D

Daft Bat likes this.
  4. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

finding certificates after my father in law died one a baptism in 1821 was was got me started in 2002 we just had no idea who these people were.
    when my dad died a year later we found some of grandparents and they gave more questions than answers no one knew Nan had been born in the Kingsholm workhouse or that grandpop had differant name to one we all had although he was always known by our name oh boy its been interesting,
    Funny thing Dizzyme we found my dads Royal Marine records after he died he also joined in 1939 finished in 1953 small world

Findem, Sis, Ma-dotcom and 1 other person like this.
  5. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

Wonderful. :) I envy you. I would love to find something interesting. The only thing I found when emptying my mother's house was dust!

6. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Yes I envy you too, all that has come my way are just a few (very few) photos, my maternal grandfather's apprenticeship indentures and my own baptism certificate. From the paternal side two small photos, one of my grandparents and one of my great grandmother. I daresay anything else of my paternal side went to my dad's brother and sister who claim there is nothing. On the maternal side an unmarried uncle living in the family home had brain cancer and in a confused state of mind burnt a load of stuff, fortunately he missed the indentures.

Sandiep and Ma-dotcom like this.
  7. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

I can so identify with you! My mom's sister's family say they don't have any information but over the years I did get a few photos and my Mom destroyed lots of family photos when she had a brain tumour ( that the doctor never
    diagnosed until it was too late ) and also my Dad's service metals.

Sandiep, Findem and Ma-dotcom like this.