Surrey Romanies and Travellers

Discussion in 'Romanies & Travellers' started by Mutters, May 7, 2013.

1. Mutters

Mutters I am not bossy, I just have better ideas.

Surrey County Council have a research guide that I found extremely useful to start me off looking for my gipsy families. Lots of links and tips including some to places other than Surrey.

It is a very helpful guide to researching a rather difficult subject.

surreycc.gov.uk/recreation-heritage-and-culture/archives-and-history/archives-and-history-research-guides/tracing-gypsy-romany-and-traveller-ancestors-at-surrey-history-centre

2. Amle

Amle Well-Known Member

Mutters
    This post just took me back to my childhood and how many years ago in Surrey, we had gypsies in their romany caravans, camping on the nearby common. I remember them around their fires. We used to walk through the common after we had got off the bus and were heading home. One night after visiting my mother in hospital my four older brothers thought is was a funny thing to do, to leave me near the camp and run off and hide saying they were leaving me to live with the gypsies. So I was nearly part of that history! I still love my brothers dearly but how I wish I had a sister.
    Amle

arryboy, Yeates, Ma-dotcom and 3 others like this.
  3. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Going back to my childhood and gipsies....

A friend of mine Don and myself were sitting one day behind what locals termed a Tank Trap, it was during WW2 and we were probably aged around eight year of age. Don had picked up a swear word from somewhere and was telling me about it, just after he mentioned the word a gipsy lady with a basket appeared and said "if you say that word again I'll put you in my basket and take you away". I don't think Don ever again run so fast, he certainly didn't stop to think he was too big to go in the basket anyway!

For those who don't know, some mothers (not mine) would threaten naughty children that if they didn't behave the gipsies would come and carry them off in a basket.

Also for those who don't know, Tank Traps were obstacles to impede German tanks should the Germans invade England. Made of concrete they were something like three or four feet thick with on the top a pyramid shape. Not quite sure of the height but possibly around four or five feet.

thalauafu, Flook, arryboy and 2 others like this.
  4. Glenda R

Glenda R New Member

What is the difference please, between a Romanie and a Gypsy? I grew up in America and only heard the term Romanie yesterday when I showed my mother a list of about 28 Lee family members from many towns in England that I found, having my DNA tested in hopes of finding my Grandfather's family. Mom said his family may have been Romanie's or Gypsies.

5. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

I always thought the difference to be the origins of such so google it . Here's one answer:
    http://www.
    answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_a_traveller_and_a_gypsy

6. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Around my part of Essex the true Gypsies are the Romany people.

We called those people who are now termed Travellers, Diddicoys, which is the Romany name for Traveller type people.

Lee although a fairly a common English name was also know to be a Romany name.

I have a great aunt who was a Romany, she married my paternal grandmother's brother.

thalauafu and Ma-dotcom like this.