Susanna Hill Dando

Discussion in 'Somerset' started by Mrs Huma, May 17, 2016.

1. Mrs Huma

Mrs Huma Canadian Cousin!

Hello everyone,

Susanna Hill married George Dando 29 Jun 1823 St Pauls, Bristol. She died 20 Jan 1833 Pensford SOM England. They had George, Mary Ann, Louisa and Edward. Mary Ann is my 2x g grandmother who married Jesse Sage and emigrated to Western Canada in 1854.

George was born and baptized 28 Jun 1801 High Littleton SOM. After Susanna died George married Maria Cox on 27 Feb 1833 (yikes!! just over a month) St Mary Redcliffe, Bristol. They had Jesse, Noah, Lydia, Jabez, Charles, Enoch and Aaron.

I've never known Susanna's mother or father. I feel she must be a Somerset girl, but she may not be. I have found a few for Somerset:
    10 May 1801 Susanna parents Joseph and Mary - Hinton, St George
    11 Sep 1803 Susannah parents Richard and Elizabeth - South Petherton, St Peter & Paul
    25 Dec 1803 Susannah parents William and Jane - Ilminster, St George
    20 Oct 1806 Susanna parents John and Martha - Bedminster, St John the Baptist

I'm really not sure where to go to find them, I would appreciate some help.

Thanks, Wendy aka mrshuma

arryboy and Steve Bumstead like this.
  2. Steve Bumstead

Steve Bumstead Well-Known Member

Hi Wendy,

I'm inclined to think a Somerset Susanna is quite likely. Many Somerset couples got married in Bristol, either to avoid parental displeasure or calling banns locally - it was quite easy to "arrange" 3 weeks residence in a parish to be able to say you were "of this parish" as George and Susanna did. I did check Bristol baptisms and there are some Susanna Hills, but none stand out as obvious. What is slightly strange though is the marriage at St Pauls, which is on the northern side of Bristol. Somerset couples often married at St Mary Redcliffe (as George did second time round) or St John, Bedminster. Possibly Susanna was from south Gloucestershire, but that would raise the question on how they met. Do you have a record of the marriage between George and Susanna? The names of the witnesses may give a clue

arryboy likes this.
  3. gillyflower

gillyflower Always caring about others

Could she have been from Bristol? I know sometimes marriages took place in the bride's place of birth. :)

4. Mrs Huma

Hi Steve and gillyflower! I was looking at the marriages on FamilySearch this morning and there are actually two. One says S Hill and G Dando married 29 Jun 1823 St. Paul's, Clifton, Gloucester, England and the other says Susanna Hill and George Dando married 29 Jun 1823 Bristol, Gloucester, England. Is there a difference? I never thought of that before and there are two different film numbers and page, number or items that are different.

In the 1841 census, when he is married to Maria Cox, it says he is either a pig farmer or a farrier. And the 1851 census has blacksmith. The blacksmiths are a sought after person, so if he was a 'blacksmith' farrier in 1823 he could have met Susanna anywhere in between. I realize that both of you are in the UK, but I have put a map of the area for perusal.

I guess I will have to get the LDS to bring in the films, so I can look and see if there is any notation for witnesses or parents.

Any ideas gratefully accepted. Thank you very much!!

Wendy :headbang:

Attached Files:

5. Steve Bumstead

Hi Wendy,
    I'm sure it's the same marriage - it has more to do with Family Search's weird organisation than anything else. There is certainly only the one in the transcript of Bristol marriages I've been looking at. It could be that one is taken from Bishops' Transcripts and one from the Register, but it's always difficult to see at once where the LDS get their data from.

I think the 1841 census reads Ag. (for agricultural) farrier but it's very faint. I'm sure all types of farmer would be just "farmer" in 1841, with no differentiation. This would tie in with George being a blacksmith on later Censuses.

Apart from the Bedminster baptism for Susanna, I would probably discount the other Somerset ones - they are all in the south of the county, quite a distance from the area George lived in (although it's possible the Hill family moved). The Bristol ones I noted are:

Susanna Hill d of James and Anne Henbury St Marys 25 May 1798
    Susanna Williams Hill d of John and Sarah, Bristol St Stephen 9 Oct 1803
    Susannah Seaborne Hill d of William and Susannah Turner Hill, Bristol St Stephen 4 May 1801

Its a pity that none of the names of the children George and Susanna had give any clue to link them to any one of these (the second wife, Maria seems to have had a very biblical bent in the naming of her children). It might be worth putting out an appeal to any forum member who happens to visit Bristol RO to obtain an image of the marriage entry if LDS don't come up trumps. You can contact them yourself and they will copy and send images, but it does cost. I go to Bristol RO myself once or twice a year, but I'm not sure when the next time will be. If you get no response, let me know and will do what I can on my next visit

Steve

arryboy likes this.
  6. Mrs Huma

Thanks Steve! I will do some investigation into the ones you have given me above. George and Susanna named their first born George, he would be the fifth George in the Dando line (of mine) so far.

1. George born about 1696 married Sarah (possibly Axe) 1716 Paulton
    2. George born 1727 Paulton married Jane Green 1753 High Littleton
    3. George born 1756 High Littleton married Ann Vater 1777 High Littleton
    4. George born 1778 High Littleton married Martha Hanney 1799 High Littleton
    5. George born 1801 High Littleton married Susanna Hill 1823 Bristol

Why did he not stay in High Littleton :oops: It might have been a lot easier to find HER family. Michael Browning set up a fabulous site for High Littleton. His daughter runs the site now as unfortunately he passed a few years ago.

I will put up an appeal to the forum and see if anyone is going to the BRO.

Very much appreciated help.

Wendy ;)

7. Lusmum

Lusmum Well-Known Member

Hi Wendy...fmp has Susannah Dandos death as you have put it but, it gives her age as 38 and her birth year as 1795...I found a Susanna Hill baptised 12 Oct..1795 East Coker Som...parents William and Ann...there are also some born the same year in Devon....but think this is a likely one...pity she didn't live until the 1841 census...would have saved you a lot of trouble...Val...

Mrs Huma, Daft Bat and Mealymoo like this.
  8. Lusmum

Lusmum Well-Known Member

By the way I think it might be JM farrier on the 1841 census for Journey Man which as I'm sure you know means skilled......

Mrs Huma and Steve Bumstead like this.
  9. Lusmum

Lusmum Well-Known Member

I found a marriage for a William Hill to Ann Hayward 1 Apr. 1786 East Coker Som.....maybe yours if I found the right Susanna....

Mrs Huma likes this.
  10. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

A small point, Journey Man also means that he is not bound to a particular employer, he is free to switch employers and to travel elsewhere for work.

Mrs Huma and Chimp like this.
  11. Steve Bumstead

You could well be right Lusmum, regarding the Journeyman abbreviation - aged 21 or so he would have just come out of apprenticeship, and later on he was an employer of another. I wouldn't be happy about the East Coker baptism normally - so far away - but I can't at present see a better alternative. There is a public tree on Ancestry which accepts the East Coker baptism (and has a superb photo of George with a fabulous beard!) but I don't know if the owner has any further proof. It looks like the tree of a descendant of Edward, George and Susanna's son

Steve

Mrs Huma likes this.
  12. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

Hello there

Am also not sure about East Coker Susanna because of the geography, but also in 1861 there is an unmarried Susan Hill in East Coker b 1796 East Coker who could poss be her.

Steve Bumstead likes this.
  13. Mrs Huma

Hi Grizel, Susanna died 20 Jan 1833....did you mean 1861 or typo? I too have thought of Susan, Susanna, Susannah.

Wendy aka mrshuma

14. Mrs Huma

Hi Steve, I had seen the 1795 birth in East Coker, but I was highly skeptical as George Dando was baptised in High Littleton in 1801, didn't have a birth date, but his parents (George Dando and Martha Hanney) were married 18 Feb 1799 in Cameley, so Susanna would be 5-6 years older. So, I guess if he is travelling around Somerset, he could have met Susanna and married.

I looked up the picture of George Dando on Ancestry - impressive! I see that they have William Hill and Ann Hayward as Susanna's parents. But they also have George dying in 1878 in Gwent Monmouthshire Wales. I have George dying in Pensford SOM. I have sent a message to them.

Thank you all, keep the ideas coming, I may find her after all. And be very afraid, she is not the only Dando wife I'm looking for. :eek:

A very appreciative mrshuma, aka Wendy :D

15. Steve Bumstead

Hi Wendy,

I'm away in Vienna for a few days but will keep digging around when I get back. Keep the Dando queries coming - a lovely old Somerset name

Steve

16. Mrs Huma

Hi Steve,
    Safe trip.....I will dig up more Dando's, there are lots of them. The Sage's are also my family from High Littleton. Very, very poor.
    But there are the ones that just seem to disappear into the woodwork - or the new world. The ones that come in to High Littleton/Hallatrow from other parishes with no info, etc.
    Lots of info on Michael Brownings site http://www.highlittletonhistory.org.uk/index.html
    Wendy :cool:

Steve Bumstead likes this.
  17. Mrs Huma

Morning all! I have received a reply from the owner of the 'fabulous' photo. It is his ex-wife's tree and cannot confirm parents. So I guess I will wait for someone to visit Bristol Records Office. I have put up a request and had an answer, but will wait patiently.
    Wendy :)