Susanna Meyrick-cannot find baptism

Discussion in 'Herefordshire' started by Half Hour, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

Susanna Meyrick and Thomas Powell were my 3x gr. grandparents. They married June 13, 1824 in Sutton Saint Nicholas, Hereford.
    In 1841 they were living with their family at Sutton Saint Nicholas and her date of birth is estimated at 1806 and she is under Susan ( good name!)
    p.2, HO107419/4
    In 1851 they were now residing in Much Cowarne and she is still Susan, born 1802 in Sutton.
    In 1861 they are in Little Cowarne, it now says birth1799, but she is still Susan Birth place is Bodenham which is slightly north of Sutton.
    I do not for certain see her in any following years and am not sure about her death. Right now I want to start at the beginning and find her birth/baptism
    I have found a baptism for an Esther Meyrick in Ullingswick in 1805 and i wonder if this could be her. Ullingswick is next to Sutton St. Nicholas. Also to the same parents there is a baptism of a Jane in 1802. When i follow Jane through her name seems to change to Anne. 2nd name ( question mark not working) The jane Anne makes sense to me as Susannas , grandaughter, my gr. grandmother is a Jane Anne.

2. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

How about, Susannah Merrick baptised 19 Oct 1800 Kingstone, Hereford father Arnold mother Margaret.?

Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  3. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Name Arnold Merrick
    Spouse's Name Margaret Baugh
    Event Date 30 Nov 1789
    Event Place Saint John Baptist, Hereford, Hereford, England
    from Familysearch

Sis likes this.
  4. Ma-dotcom

Hereford Wed. 18 Feb.1824, Mrs Merrick of Kingstone in the county died aged 92

Deaths Mar 1868 FreeBMD
    POWELL Thomas 73 Bromyard 6a-362
    [also
    Deaths Dec 1863
    Powell Thomas - Bromyard 6a-339 -no age given]
    Susan Powell-widow
    Relation: Mother
    Where born: Herefordshire, England
    Civil Parish: St Chad
    County/Island: Staffordshire
    John Powell 30
    Emma Powell 25
    Susan Powell 72
    RG10; Piece: 2913; Folio: 113; Page: 8;

Sis likes this.
  5. Half Hour

I saw the Susannah Merrick, but she ended up in Australia. Another married some other chap. None seemed to fit when i pursued them. Saw the death of Thomas and when I have money will order the cert. to see if it is him. As for the census, I'm not sure if that is her. Everybody has the same names in that house!

Sis likes this.
  6. Half Hour

Some people have trees on Ancestry that are messed up as well. Including my nephew who has my gr. grandmother being the daughter of one of Susan and Thomas's sons, not the illegitimate daughter of their daughter. ( I have my gr. grandmother' baptism..there is not a father! )

Sis likes this.
  7. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Sue,

1871 census of Little Cowarne, Herefordshire (RG10/2709, folio 49, page 4):

Little Jordan

Thomas POWELL Head Mar 79 Ag Lab Herefordshire Pencombe
    Susan do Wife Mar 66 do Wife do Bodenham
    James do Son Unm 40 do Son do Sutton
    Jane do Granddaur Unm 17 do Much Cowarne

Herefordshire FHS Marriage Index confirms the marriage at Sutton on 13 June 1824 and Thomas is shown as being of Cowarne.

Looking for other possible MEYRICK relatives in the Marriage Index brings up a marriage at Sutton on 18 May 1830 of an Anne MEYRICK to a Joseph THOMAS - perhaps a sister??

Ancestry Select Births & Christenings have a baptism on 24 November 1799 of a Susanna MERRICK daughter of John & Ann MERRICK - perhaps worth consideration?

There is a burial on the Herefordshire FHS Burial Index of an Anne MERRICK at Sutton St Nicholas on 10 January 1832, aged 64, which may be relevant.

Sis likes this.
  8. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Sorry, above post locked up as I was trying to post it, so here is the full post:

Sue,

1871 census of Little Cowarne, Herefordshire (RG10/2709, folio 49, page 4):

Little Jordan

Thomas POWELL Head Mar 79 Ag Lab Herefordshire Pencombe
    Susan do Wife Mar 66 do Wife do Bodenham
    James do Son Unm 40 do Son do Sutton
    Jane do Granddaur Unm 17 do Much Cowarne

Herefordshire FHS Marriage Index confirms the marriage at Sutton on 13 June 1824 and Thomas is shown as being of Cowarne.

Looking for other possible MEYRICK relatives in the Marriage Index brings up a marriage at Sutton on 18 May 1830 of an Anne MEYRICK to a Joseph THOMAS - perhaps a sister??

Ancestry Select Births & Christenings have a baptism on 24 November 1799 of a Susanna MERRICK daughter of John & Ann MERRICK - perhaps worth consideration?

There is a burial on the Herefordshire FHS Burial Index of an Anne MERRICK at Sutton St Nicholas on 10 January 1832, of Rhea, aged 64, which may be relevant. Could this be Rhee where Thomas & Susanna were living in the 1841 census of Sutton?

Janet

Ma-dotcom and Sis like this.
  9. Half Hour

Janet...
    Yes I have found that information, and the marriage of Anne Meyrick makes me wonder if she is Jane baptised No. 14, 1802 which would make Susanna the Esther baptised Dec, 8 1805. Same parents. both in Ullingswick which is close to Sutton.
    Can anyone tell me if I order the film through LDS will I see more than is online as it says no image available.
    The Jane ( granddaughter) in the 1871 is my gr. grandmother.

10. Ma-dotcom

Sue, I think no image available refers to no digitable image to view online. If there is a number for the baptism/marriage it will be on film in their Library & maybe not digitised yet.
    A phone call to nearest library will confirm if this is so.

Findem, Half Hour and Sis like this.
  11. Half Hour

Thanks WEndy. When winter lets up maybe someone will be there that i can speak to. A foot of snow today and everything closed again.

Sis and Ma-dotcom like this.
  12. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

This is also on FS - birthplace Bodenham which does sound promising.

Sis likes this.