Susannah Fanning in 1871.

Discussion in 'British Census' started by The Artful Dodger, Sep 28, 2018.

1. The Artful Dodger

The Artful Dodger Dodging, ducking and diving

Susannah Fanning was born 31 Aug. 1836 and bapt. 25 Dec. 1836. I have her in the census:
    1841 - with parents
    1851 - H0107/1513/312/33 - Holborn St. Andrew. She was 1 of 31 resident girls or young ladies, who were "Wayward Girls of the Street" and who wanted to change their way of life. Her "waywardness was as a result, presumably, of the death of her sister Mary Eliza [1847] and her mother [1849]. She was 12 years old when her mother died.
    I was told once the name and address of this facility - but I can't find my notes on it. I would appreciate any information forthcoming. She was likely influenced by the apparent successful apprenticeship of her brother Thomas Digby to Arthur John Wadsworth - commenced 30 Apr. 1846 - and still ongoing as of 1851.
    1861- RG9/24/89/8 - sh is a General Servant @ 12 Cornwall Road, Hammersmith. Her employer was Clara M.C. Daniel the 30 year old wife of a member of the Cheshire Militia. She had 5 children - 7,4,2,1 and 3mos. What I found 'neat' about this census was the occupation of her mother - a widow - "hand-holder".

It seems likely Susannah lost her job sometime in the mid 1860's when Clara Daniel's husband [Capt. John Hinton Daniel] died 2nd q. 1863 and then Clara died 17 May 1866 according to Probate Records.

The next sightings of Susannah are:
    1] Dec. 1875 - Burial register of South Metropolitan Cemetery - staing her residence was 6 Elliott Bank, Sydenham Hill
    2] 7 Dec. 1875 - Death
    3] 9 Dec. 1875 - Cause of Death - Aneurysm of the Aorta - certified as a result of an inquest by the Coroner for Kent in Greenwich.
    4] 10 Dec. 1875 - Norwood Cemetery, Norwood Road, Lambeth. This burial appears likely as being in a re-used grave. It is also likely that Thomas Digby was responsible for the expenses of burial as in the 1871 census he is married with 2 children and living @ 28 Outfield Road in the village of Penge.

I would appreciate any information on her life between 1861& 1875.

2. Sandiep

Sandiep Successfully Supports Searches!

The Artful Dodger likes this.
  3. The Artful Dodger

:D
    Thanks for linking these. I didn't realize it had been SO LONG since I looked again for Susannah. Now I can get back to her [between nurse's]:D;)

4. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

I meant to post this yesterday, but gardening got in the way and then I forgot :oops:

upload_2018-9-30_10-27-17.png

I think the home at 17 New Ormond Street is the one you are referring to. New Ormond Street is now part of Great Ormond Street and was the part which runs between Lambs Conduit Street and Millman Street - an area of London I used to know very well :)

Sandiep, The Artful Dodger and Sis like this.
  5. The Artful Dodger

When remembered --- that's what's IMPORTANT!!! and now the sharing.:angel:

Brilliant find AnnB - thank you. Do you by any chance have a date of this publication and any idea about how I can trace her length of attendance?

6. AnnB

Oops - sorry not to put the source :oops: It was from the Morning Post of the 23rd December 1856.

As to her length of attendance - there is some information on the Female Aid Society at
    Code:
    https://www.ucl.ac.uk/bloomsbury-project/institutions/female_aid_society.htm
    , so whether UCL (University College London) holds any archives, I don't know. I haven't read all the page, so it may tell you something :)

Chimp, Sandiep and The Artful Dodger like this.
  7. The Artful Dodger

Have found some interesting stuff on their site. Will review as thoroughly as I can too see if I can get details of her attendance there.

AnnB likes this.
  8. The Artful Dodger

Have spent an hour+ on the site which to have been operational until the end of 2012. Sadly there doesn't appear to be any contact personnel details available.

One of the persons involved in this project appears to have possibly relocated to Canberra, Australia. According to zoominfo she appears to now be an Associate Professor for the Migrant and Refugee Women's Health Partnership.

I am now attempting to find a way to connect with this lady.

AnnB likes this.
  9. AnnB

The page about the Bloomsbury Project on UCL's website has a 'links' feature and one of these links is to the History Department, which also has an e-mail address amongst the ways to contact them.
    Code:
    https://www.ucl.ac.uk/history/contact-us
    Worth a try?

10. The Artful Dodger

I missed that one!! There are 2 contact persons listed - I'll attempt contact with either/both. Thanks AnnB

AnnB likes this.
  11. The Artful Dodger

Have made overtures to the folks on the website. Will keep you posted - with hope of a good result.:nailbiting:

AnnB likes this.
  12. AnnB

Will keep everything (well, almost everything) crossed :nailbiting:

13. The Artful Dodger

Struck out with the Bloomsbury Project folks, but got a very nice response "Unfortunately, the Bloomsbury Project website is just the end result of a research project that has now ended. The Principal Investigator and Researcher who worked on this project do not work here now. I am afraid that it is not an ongoing concern that can advise on the type of historical research that you are conducting.
    I'm sorry I am unable to help you more and hope that you will be able to find some good leads and help elsewhere".

After responding with a Thank You, I asked if one of the researchers now resident of Australia might help -- the response was - "No problem. I am not personally in touch with [researcher's name] so cannot say whether she would be in a position to help"

Is the call to Oz - see post #8 - worthwhile, or am I chasing my own tail?

14. AnnB

For the ‘cost’ of an e-mail, you’ve got nothing to lose :) I would go for it.

And so pleased that UCL were prompt and nice in their response.

Daft Bat and The Artful Dodger like this.