Temporary Hospital

Discussion in 'Sussex' started by Daft Bat, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Frant is a very small village in Sussex, right on the border with Kent - in fact so close that part of the village is in Kent!

I have just obtained a death certificate for Annie PICKET who died on 17th November 1871 of scarlatina at the age of 10. The certificate states that she died at Temporary Hospital, Frant Forest, Frant, Sussex.

I expect that this was some sort of isolation hospital but have not (yet) been able to discover anything about it and so would appreciate any light that could be shed on where it was, what it was and how long it was there for - with it being "Temporary".

Thank you. :)

2. Genie1

Genie1 Well-Known Member

Not the temporary hospital but FMP has an article about tenders for the erection of a small pox hospital at Grant Forest. 11th April 1878.

Bay Horse, MollyMay, Sis and 2 others like this.
  3. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

This should explain things. I've taken this from a longer article, so I hope it makes sense. I haven't looked to see what the actual outcome was, I've got to go out in a short while, but if you want me to look for any more, I can do so later on :)
    Kent and Sussex Courier 5th December 1873
    POLICE COMMITTEE. This committee reported as follows:—The Police Committee beg to report that they have after taking great trouble to obtain, without success, a site suitable for the erection of the Fever Hospital, through the Chairman of the Board entered into negotiations with the Earl of Abergavenny for a piece land for that purpose close to the cemetery, upon what your committee consider favourable terms to the town……
    He proposed the following amendment: 'That Lord Abergavenny, having expressed his earnest desire to meet the wishes of the inhabitants of Tunbridge Wells with respect to the hospital for infectious diseases, be requested to sell to the Local Board, for the purpose, a plot of land on Frant Forest, situated at a distance of not less than three hundred yards from the Cemetery works.'—The Chairman said perhaps as he had been alluded to he might be permitted to say a few words on the subject of the Hospital. The Police Committee had been kind enough to thank him for his exertions in the matter, but he thought their thanks were rather due to Lord Abergavenny on this occasion. The history of the Hospital was a very brief one; some three years ago there was some fever in the town, a medical officer from the Board of Health came down and enquired into the causes, and amongst other things recommended the Board to have a house isolated from other dwellings to which infected persons might be removed, and thus avoid the spreading of the disease. They followed this advice, and as the Cemetery ground was only in progress they made use of that for the erection of temporary Hospital. This hospital proved very useful in separating the dwellers in crowded localities, and in the poorer districts, and even some ladies a higher position, with great sense and spirit, made use of it. When, however, the Cemetery approached completion, the Hospital had to be moved; and then the difficulties of the Police Committee began, the whole district and adjoining country was ransacked in vain, no site could be found anywhere. [Then follows a letter from Lord Abergavenny which ends]…..It is on the east side and runs up to the road, and if the building is placed near to the wall of the Cemetery I don't think it would be of the slightest annoyance to any one, and if some trees were planted the other side of the wall the building would in the course of a very few years be hidden from the greater portion of the Cemetery. I have no power to sell land for the use you require it, but I will with pleasure grant a 99 years building lease, at, say a year—Believe me, Sincerely yours, Abergavenny.'

4. Flook

Flook A True Gentleman. Rest in Peace.

I think I may have found it. The Kent Medical Officer of Health report 1913 says, 'the infectious diseases hospital is situated at Frant Forest about one and a half miles out of town' - i.e. Tunbridge Wells.

On this 1872 25 inch OS map is a hospital marked to the east of the Frant Road where there is a junction with Birling Cottages (now called Birling Road).

So on this map go to the top RH corner and due south of the railway cutting you'll see Waterdown Land and below that a Cemetery. The hospital is marked to the left of the mortuary chapel!

https://maps.nls.uk/view/103667614

5. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

Find him a map & you find what your require....mostly. :D

6. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

Who needs GPS when we have Flook.

7. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Huge thanks to @Genie1 , @AnnB and @Flook ! You guys are the best and it answers the question as to why it was a temporary hospital. :D

Sis, Ma-dotcom, Genie1 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Ma-dotcom

P.S. 1871 was a bad year for smallpox. I had found the wife of a 'not quite relative' [ B-in-Law to ny Gt.Gt. Aunt in Kent ;) who died in Croydon 1871 & of 32 burials in Feb. 11 were for smallpox victims. Jan & Feb. not so bad. This was an ineresting read:
    Code:
    http://www.portcities.org.uk/london/server/show/ConNarrative.68/chapterId/1649/Containing-smallpox-in-Victorian-London.html

Daft Bat and Sis like this.
  9. mikejee

mikejee Well-Known Member

To add slightly to that, the hospital is on the map marked 1884-1895, but has gone by the 1898 map

Ma-dotcom, Daft Bat and Sis like this.
  10. Ma-dotcom

Apologies for missing those typos, it's been that sort of day. :(

Daft Bat likes this.