Test pilot killed in Australia 1943

Discussion in 'Empire & Commonwealth' started by Huncamunca, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

It sounds like everyone who's anyone has been there, Doug :)

Thanks for the link: I can see why Eileen Skelly said in her letter that 'We are told it is very like your English inns'.

There are some interesting reminiscences about it - going back to the 19th century - in this 1930 article:
    http://trove.
    nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/4107472?

Doug likes this.
  2. Huncamunca

It was a very kind thing to do, wasn't it, Findem? The letter must have meant so much to my great-grandmother and is still treasured 72 years later.

I have been trying to find out more about Eileen Skelly in the hope that I might be able to contact her family and thank them for her kindness to my family. She says in her letter that she and her mother own the Mitre and that she is a widow with a 20 year old daughter.

The Melbourne Argus of 8 March 1951 has a death annoucement for a Daisy Cunningham (widow of Charles Cunningham) who had a daughter Eileen (Mrs Skelly). An earlier Argus, of 2 December 1938, notes that Mrs D. Cunningham had bought the Mitre.

The daughter must I think be Helen Mary Skelly, whose wedding photograph appears in the Argus of 28 February 1949. She married Dudley Cranswick at St Peter's church, Toorak (her mother Mrs E. Skelly was described as 'of Toorak'). Sadly I am too late to contact Helen: she died last year. She does have children and grandchildren though, so I haven't given up hope of finding someone to thank.

Findem, mugwortismy cat and Doug like this.
  3. PJCranswick

PJCranswick New Member

Came across this discussion while researching family history
    Among my grandmother Eileen Skelly's belongings is a letter from Eliz McK Carter dated 7th April - attached is copy of the envelope. Kind Regards.

Attached Files:

4. Huncamunca

Thank you so much for joining the forum to reconnect our families once again after all these years. It was very moving to see the familiar and distinctive handwriting of my great-grandmother on an envelope preserved in someone else's family archive. Thank you for looking after it! I'll photograph Eileen Skelly's letter and e-mail the photos to you: just let me know your e-mail address in a private message here.

P.S. I'm sorry for the delay in replying. I've been away from the forum for a long time and it was only thanks to a kind Top Dog member that I heard about your post.

Eve, Sue036, Shellymac and 13 others like this.
  5. PJCranswick

PJCranswick New Member

Thanks - I would much appreciate copies of the letter my grandmother wrote; my late grandmother Mrs Skelly and her mother Mrs Cunningham held the license at the Mitre Tavern in Bank Place from 1938 to 1949. Attached are 3 jpeg files of envelope and 2 page letter. My email is pjcranswick (at) gmail (dot) com Kind regards
    Peter Cranswick
    Email address altered to stop email harvesting and spam

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2020 at 5:09 AM
    Ma-dotcom, AnnB, kernowmaid and 2 others like this.