The Bowley Family

Discussion in 'Warwickshire' started by jules333, Jun 28, 2015.

1. jules333

jules333 Member

Hi I have recently joined this group to help a friend of mine but along the way it has me thinking of my own family history. My sister did a family tree only to find that out Grand father Harold Bowley of Birmingham had been married twice and on each occasion it was to a Rose Hannah!!! My own grandma(The second Rose Hannah was quite a few years younger than her husband who dies when my Dad Norman Bowley was only a lad) I am intrigued to find out if Nan and her husbands former wife had the same name by pure coincidence?

GrannyBarb likes this.
  2. patten-walsh

patten-walsh Well-Known Member

I can see a Harry Bowley marrying a Rose H.Lewis (could the H be for Hannah ?) 1917 Aston,Birmingham Vol 6d Page 762.
    And a Harry Bowley marrying a Rose S. Hartshorne 1947 Ilkeston,Derbyshire.
    Any more info you can give about you grandfathers date of birth etc would be useful

3. patten-walsh

patten-walsh Well-Known Member

Or maybe I think you mean Rose Hannah Beckett who married Henry Bowley Aston June 1896

4. jules333

jules333 Member

The Rose Hannah in Birmingham is my Grand Mother. It is my Grand Fathers previous wife I am curious about

5. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

According to the 1911 census, Harold (recorded as Harry) and the first Rose Hannah had been married for 15 years, had 4 children of whom none were still living.

Rose was 38 in 1911, giving her a year of birth of 1872/3. There is a death in 1914 for a 40-year-old Rose H BOWLEY in the Aston registration district which looks like her.

Now, if Harold and Rose married 15 years prior to 1911, that would put it at about 1896. Although there is not a marriage for a Harold BOWLEY at this time, there is a marriage for a Henry BOWLEY to a Rose Hannah BECKETT in the June quarter of 1896 in the Aston registration district (volume 6d, page 403)

Perhaps a copy of that marriage certificate would provide some more clues for you. :)

6. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

You can see images of the parish register entries for both marriages in Ancestry's 'Birmingham, England, Marriages and Banns' collection, which provide the same information you would get on a marriage certificate.

Harry's first marriage was in 1896 at Ashted St James. His bride, Rose Hannah Beckett, was then 23 years old, of 143 Inkerman Street (same address given by Harry), daughter of Samuel Beckett, gas stoker. The witnesses were Edmund Bowly (signed) and Annie Elizabeth Haskow(??) (made her mark).

That gives an approximate birthdate of 1873 for Rose Hannah Beckett, as Jan has already found from the 1911 census (RG 14/18258, enumeration district 28, schedule no. 128). Her birthplace is given as Stoke on Trent.

I can't see a birth registration for a Rose Hannah Beckett around the right time, but there is one for a Rosanna Beckett in the Stoke district in the last quarter of 1872. Hannah often turns into Anna and vice versa, so Rosanna could well be the same person as Rose Hannah.

7. Huncamunca

Huncamunca The Knowledgeable One

There's a Rose Beckett (aged 7, born Stoke) with father Samuel (a gas works stoker), his wife Sarah, and another daughter Eliza aged 10 on the 1881 census in Duddeston, Aston (RG 11/3029, f.92, p.13). Samuel was from Staffordshire (Willenhall) and his wife from Liverpool. The older daughter Eliza had been born in Birmingham.
    The Staffordshire BMD website has the birth registration too: Rosannah Beckett, 1872, Shelton sub-district, Stoke-on-Trent district, mother's maiden name Burton.
    As Samuel's eldest known child Elizabeth was 10 in 1881, I looked for a marriage around 1871. There is a Samuel Beckett marrying in the Wolverhampton district in the last quarter of 1870; a Sarah Burton has matching reference numbers but this isn't proof that they married one another. They could have married anywhere in the Wolverhampton registration district. It might be worth checking to see if it was in any of the churches covered by the marriage indexes here:

http://www.
    wolverhamptonhistory.org.uk/resources/indexes

8. jules333

jules333 Member

Thank you all so much. I know my Grand Father had no children from his first marriage but then went on to marry my Grand Mother Rose Hannah lewis some 15 years younger than him and had 7 children

Half Hour and Daft Bat like this.