The Boyton family

Discussion in 'Essex' started by Half Hour, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Half Hour

Half Hour Well-Known Member

I am searching for information on Richard and ?Jane Boyton and earlier...

One of my 2Xgr.grandmothers is Eliza Boyton. She married William Crothall on Aug. 21, 1843 in St. Botolphs in Northfleet Kent. Her father is Richard, a carpenter. Her place of birth on censuses is Grays, Essex. I found her baptism In Esssex Baptisms on FMP ..D/P 382/1/5.. parents..Richard, carpenter and mother's first name is Jane.

That is all I can find on her background... Searching censuses in Essex I can find another Richard Boyton who is a farmer. Also found newspaper articles about that Richard. His wife's name is not Jane.

For now I have all the information I need going forward with Eliza..I am trying to go back to find out about my 3X gr. grandparents, Richard and Jane and before if possible.

2. Sis

Sis Rootles out resources!

On Anc. there's a transcription of a Richard Boiton marrying a Jane Osborne at Little Thurrock, Essex on 21 Apr 1816.

On FreeREG it says the groom is a widower and bride a spinster. Witnesses are James Osborne and Elizabeth Osborne. Both of their parishes are given as Little Thurrock. It also says it's banns.

Ma-dotcom and Half Hour like this.
  3. janetbooth

janetbooth Top Dog Stalwart

Burial at Little Thurrock on 3 June 1831 for a Richard Boyten of Grays, aged 40, which maybe explains why you cannot find your Richard on the 1841 census. This is followed by a marriage at Grays, Essex on 2 July 1834 between Joseph CHEASLEY of this parish, bachelor, & Jane BOYDEN of this parish, widow, which could be relevant to you. Both transcriptions are on FreeReg.

Janet

Ma-dotcom, Half Hour and MollyMay like this.
  4. janetbooth

Siblings for your Eliza in case you do not already have them:

14 October 1821 Mary Ann daughter of Richard & Jane BOYTON, Carpenter
    2 July 1826 James son of Richard & Jane BOIDEN, Carpenter
    18 November 1827 Heneretta daughter of Richard & Jane BOYDON, Carpenter
    11 April 1830 Thomas son of Richard & Jane BOYDON, Labourer

All baptised at Grays and Richard & Jane are shown as resident at Grays.

FreeReg shows a baptismal transcription at Moreton, Essex on 8 February 1787 of a Richard son of Thomas & Mary BOYTON.

Janet

Ma-dotcom, Half Hour and MollyMay like this.
  5. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

As they are transcriptions only (FreeReg), these may or may be not revlevant.
    There is a marriage of Richard Boyden, batch. 2/6/1812 to Mary Paine sp. at Orsett St Giles and All Saints, witness Thomas Smoothy, Samuel Simpson and Peter Warden, both made their mark
    The burial of Mary Boyton is recorded at Fobbing St Michael 13/5/1813 age23

Ma-dotcom and Sis like this.
  6. Half Hour

Thank you everyone.... I don't know how I missed that marriage on Ancestry ( maybe the spelling) .. as for Free Reg... I had forgotten about it as I haven't used it for some time. :oops: Now I have something to work on later this evening. @janetbooth ...I didn't have any siblings so thank you for them... The death of Richard could help explain why Eliza is living with another Boyton family in Gravesend in the 1841 census.... Lots to sink my teeth into. Thank you again.

Sis, mugwortismy cat and Ma-dotcom like this.
  7. Shellymac

Shellymac Well-Known Member

I have had a look at the 41 and 51 census but I am having trouble finding this famil.

8. janetbooth

In case you have difficulty finding Henrietta, she appears to have married a Luke TUNSTALL on 28 October 1850 at Gravesend St George in Kent - Ancestry's Select Marriages - and is in the 1851 census of Gravesend (HO107/1668, folio 78, page 43) living at 43 Kempthorne Street with husband Luke.

Janet

Half Hour likes this.
  9. Shellymac

Shellymac Well-Known Member

I couldn’t find her in 1841. Have you found her in 1841?

10. Half Hour

@janetbooth Thanks to your FreeRegBMD reminder I have found even more siblings and once added to my tree they are being found on A. as well. Lots to keep me busy right now! Last night I found what appeared to be one child born to Jane and her 2nd husband, but this morning I couldn't find it. Having a 2nd coffee to refuel and try again!!

11. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

If ever you get stuck for a Boyton aka Boyiten aka Boyden There are plenty of them in Essex especially around the general area of Braintree.

Your post had me looking at my Boyton Family Group Sheets and finding I still had a matter to clear up.

My ancestor Robert Boyton married a Rebecca Smith in 1744 at Bocking, which is next door to Braintree, the problem is, or rather was, there were two Robert Boytons to choose from and two Rebecca Smiths. I have solved that problem now but carrying out a search on Ancestry's Essex Parish Register on just the Boyton surname, I was surprised just how many there were, quite a number a number scattered over Essex.

Bit of a shame Braintree is not covered on FreeReg, when I find something on Ancestry's EPRI I like to check it out on Free Reg to compare dates and spellings etc and sometimes gain info that's not on Ancestry.

12. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Btw Moreton is only about 22 miles from Braintree, so perhaps your lot drifted south from where my lot hung out. :D

Ma-dotcom and Half Hour like this.
  13. Half Hour

@Findem there certainly is a a lot of them!!

Findem likes this.
  14. janetbooth

Glad to be of help, Sue - enjoy!!

Janet