The death of Jenny PAYNE

Discussion in 'Sussex' started by Daft Bat, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Daft Bat

Daft Bat Administrator. Chief cook & bottle washer! Staff Member

Jenny CHAPMAN was baptised at East Grinstead on 3rd march 1771 to parents William and Sarah.

On 14th October 1789, she married Edward PAYNE in East Grinstead. I have found what I think could be Edward's burial in West Hoathly, just 6 miles down the road from East Grinstead, on 7th February 1829 at the age of 70. This would tie in with his baptism on 22nd August 1759 also in East Grinstead.

However, I can find no record of a death for Jenny. Bearing in mind that this could also be another name for Jane, I have been getting nowhere fast. :headbang: Having said that, both her baptism and marriage have her as Jenny. :rolleyes:

I suppose that she might have remarried after Edward's death - she would have been about 58 - but I think that might be a stretch.

If anyone could find her death/burial, I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you. :)

2. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

In the 1851 census there is a Jane Payne, 81 year old widow, pauper, born East Grinstead, living with son Edward, his wife Mary and grandson Benjamin. HO107/1641/242/9

In the March qtr. of 1857, there is the death registered in East Grinstead of a Jane Payne who was supposedly 89, according to the GRO site.

Looks promising?

Ma-dotcom, Bay Horse and Daft Bat like this.
  3. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

Jan, Jane Payne buried East Grinstead

25 Feb 1857, birth year 1768.

Resident Grinstead Common.

Ma-dotcom, AnnB and Daft Bat like this.
  4. Daft Bat

@AnnB - I had stumbled across this just after I had posted and so have been having a rummage to see if I could find anything more about Edward. It looks like this is she as Edward was baptised to the right parents on 11th July 1790.

@Bay Horse - wonderful! That ties in with the 1851 census and so I now need to order the death certificate - plus the one for Edward.

Jenney/Jane and Edward PAYNE were my 4 x great grandparents.

Thank you both! :D

Ma-dotcom, Sue036, Half Hour and 3 others like this.
  5. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

:)

Daft Bat likes this.
  6. Bay Horse

Bay Horse Can be a bit of a dark horse

Ah, wonderful. :)

Daft Bat likes this.
  7. andytw

andytw New Member

I have a William Payne (1795-1882) marrying a Jane Chapman (1793-1826) in East Grinstead 20/5/1817. William was born there but I don't know where Jane was born. Their first son William was born two months before the wedding and recorded as baseborn. He and his children used the surname Chapman although later used Payne. I wonder if they are connected to either your Payne's or Chapman's.

8. Daft Bat

Hi @andytw - I am away from my tree at the moment but will check tomorrow if there is a connection. :)

9. Daft Bat

I have had a look at my tree but do not have this couple.

However, they could well be connected along the line somewhere as Edward and Jenny/Jane mentioned above named one of their children William and you know what it's like with naming patterns.... :rolleyes:

Not only that, with them being another PAYNE/CHAPMAN combination, it would not surprise me if your Jane is connected to my Jenny/Jane.

Perhaps have a rummage through the East Grinstead PRs to see if your Jane is mentioned before moving out through the villages. Many times, the couple wed in the bride's parish.