THE FORD Public Assistance Institution

Discussion in 'Bedfordshire' started by Ma-dotcom, Jan 2, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

During my latest ''SMITH' adventure, I believe I was able to dismiss a 1903 marriage between Egbert Smith & Frances Clift which Ancestry kept showing.
    The 1911 Census shows Egvert (sic) Smith-single-b.1877 Penge,as a Plumber in the buiding trade & living with his brother Charles E. F. Smith & wife Daisy Alice Amelia Smith.Piece: 3419.

A marriage in 1913 to Elsie Edith Mary Knapp made all of the right connections even naming his first born dtr, 'Wilhelmina Elsie' after his Mother & Wife.
    W.E. worked in Brentwood as a 'Mental Nurse', sad there wasn't a better name for them.

My help query concerns his 2nd dtr., Juliana Theresa b. 1918 whom I'm having trouble finding on 1939 register.
    However Ancestry shows a 1939 electoral register for a Julianna Theresa Smith here:-
    Bedfordshire, England, Electoral Registers, 1832-1986
    Residence Year: 1939 -Residential Women -my add on
    Address: THE FORD Public Assistance Institution
    Residence Place: Bedfordshire, England
    Parliamentary Division: Bedfordshire

Was this a place of work? or a 'care facility? Others are on same page as families in houses & shops.
    I had hoped to see the 1939 register to see what her occupation was.

It's possible she is the lass who married in Colchester in 1949.
    Other family members were in Saffron Walden in later years, but listed as b. Penge 1921.
    Any thoughts here please?

p.s. Parents are on 1939 register with one line redacted.

2. Andromeda

Andromeda Tenacity is her middle name

Ancestry has made an error in the transcription. The words "The Ford" are at the top of the page, indicating part of the address. It also says at the top of the page that it was within the parish of Eaton Socon, but if you go back a few pages it says the postal address was within St Neots, Huntingdonshire.

It will therefore most likely be the former workhouse infirmary.

In 1939 Julianna T Smith, nurse, born 3 Dec 1918 is at 14 Market Square, St Neots, Huntingdonshire

Chimp and Ma-dotcom like this.
  3. Ma-dotcom

@Andromeda.{-(^^)-} Thank you so much, I have been toing & froing so much with this family trying to prove children connections. More than one marriage between Smith & Knapp. 1921 was a help but they didn't find Egbert.
    :(

Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
  4. Ma-dotcom

I could not find Julianna T Smith on 1939, Anc'. gave me Eileen , Ellen & sundry others. In the end I went to My heritage & found a transcription. I entered the name of the 'head' lady but all I got was that lady, no-one else. Finally copied the image numbers & 'nurse' & hey ho, there she was. Poor llady in no 7 didn't even get a transcibed mention. The name wasn't that hard- looks like Pearl Grummett who marries Mr.Neville.
    Thanks again Andromeda, [email notice didn't happen :(]