The Gables, Wylcwm Street, Knighton

Discussion in 'Radnorshire' started by Chimp, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Chimp

Chimp Moderator & Cheeky Human IMP Staff Member

This evening I was invited to look at some deeds and old documents at what used to be the Old Post Office in Wylcwm/Wilcome/Wilcomb Street Knighton, Radnorshire.

Capture.JPG

I was given a tour of the building, which over the years has had many modifications made. The new owners told me the plans for the place and by the sounds of it are going to restore it to it's former glory. From the work that they have already done it looks like it was a private dwelling long before it was a post office. They have removed loads of plaster and artificial ceilings and has exposed coving and centre light decorative circles (proper name for these is being hidden by my memory at the moment)

I am now on the trail to find out when the house was built and who lived there. (In fact I'm not sure that it was built as only one house but may have been a double dwelling) I have found a mention in 1915 of someone who used to live there but from the architecture and fittings I would say the house is a lot older than that.

Sadly the document they have don't say when it was built.

Anyone fancy a challenge?

2. MollyMay

MollyMay Knows where to find the answers!

I can find Wylcwm Cottages on on the 1911 census Summary books - no road given other than The Cwm - does this sound anything like what you are looking for?

John Jones lived in one RG14 PN33652 SN157
    Charles Passey lived in the other RG14 PN33652 SN158 - although on his return he gives the address as Mill cottage

Chimp likes this.
  3. Chimp

Thanks MollyMay, the Cwm is the other side of the towns thoroughfare to where Wylcwm street is. I knew this wasn't going to be easy :)

Thank you for taking the time to look for me.

MollyMay likes this.
  4. MollyMay

In 1901 there is a George D W Green Price living at 'The Gables' - but whereabouts it is in Knighton :confused: - perhaps you can work it out.
    RG13/5179/20/7

Chimp likes this.
  5. MollyMay

Another thought - any old local maps in your local library?

You were looking for ceiling rose (decorative circles around the light):)

Blackmogs and Chimp like this.
  6. Chimp

Thank you MollyMay, this particular Gables was in 'Norton' a small village about 3 miles from Knighton.

I think I will have to take a trip to the library as you suggest. I will visit the archives at Llandrindod Wells when I find some time. Maybe they will have something there.

Thank you again.

MollyMay likes this.
  7. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

http://www. britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/wa-8944-the-gables-norton-presteigne
    This site give a date c. 1860.
    .........................I wonder if George D.W. was related to this man?

http://www.
    presteigne.org.uk/
    "By the 1860,s the church had suffered considerable neglect and was falling into disrepair. Sir Richard Green-Price and his family moved to Norton Manor in 1861. He first enlarged the Manor and built a new vicarage in 1865. In 1866 he turned his attention to the church. At first he intened to just carry out repairs but he then called in the eminent architect, Sir George Gilbert Scott to carry out a programme of restoration. The church was re-opened in September 1868. A plate situated below the west window commemorates that event. Many of the memorials and much of the church furniture are dedicated to the Green-Price family. A guide to the church is available within the church."

Archie's Mum likes this.
  8. Ma-dotcom

Ma-dotcom A Bonza Little Digger!

http://www.cpat.org.uk/ycom/radnor/norton.pdf

Norton Post Office (30412) is in part a late medieval, cruck-framed gentry hall-house, though rebuilt two hundred years ago, while The Forge (30417) beside the churchyard has 17th century origins.
    Both are GradeII listed. Church House is a much altered 17thor 18th centurycottage, while a stone-built range at Corte Farm is considered to be of 17 th century origin.
    Norton Mill (30414), mechanically complete, dates from the early 19th century, but what is not clear is whether this is in the same location as the fulling mill (23004) which isdocumented as early as the 14th century.

Sis and Archie's Mum like this.
  9. Findem

Findem The Fearless One

Thanks for that MollyMay, I've got three of them which I bought and put up but darned if I could recall the name. :rolleyes: :D

Chimp likes this.
  10. Archie's Mum

Archie's Mum Always digging up clues

britishlistedbuildings.co.uk has "The Gables", Surgery, 3 Wylcwm Street Knighton as an early 19c-late Victorian 3 storey Grade 11 building listed as such in 1950, with later modern extensions to the right.
    A rubble boundary wall to front garden on the site of original almshouses.

11. Chimp

Wendy - Thank you, but I'm afraid that's the wrong Gables. Although, should anyone be looking for the Gables at Norton you have supplied some good links. :)

Findem - Old age don't come alone :D

Archies Mum - Now that is strange. The Doctors Surgery is next door to the building that we all know as the Gables. The gentleman last knight told me that his house was No. 3 or the Gables. I know the place concerned was called the Gables as my Nieces father met a rather shocking end there. The house next door is Burford House and is also a grade 2 listed building.

Capture.JPG

S = Surgery
    P.O. - Old Post Office
    B - Burford House
    There is also a building on the opposite side of the road that would make the P.O. No.3 but maybe it's No.2.

Ok totally confused now :eek:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    Findem likes this.
  12. Archie's Mum

If Buford House is No1, the post office No3, then the attached Gables would be No 5....Is that correct? Buford House being the flat roofed building on the right of the post office.

Or maybe 3 & 5 are referred to as 3-5, that being the same buildingo_Oo_O

Chimp likes this.
  13. Archie's Mum

Or perhaps 3a and 3b o_Oo_Oo_O

Wouldn't even numbers be on the opposite side of the street, unless of course it is a cul-de-sac. Is it?

Chimp likes this.
  14. Archie's Mum

A simple google of 5 Wylcwm street brings me to the building of your interest and no 2 brings me back to the top corner and the house with the brown door.
    All looks so different from Mr Google's van!

Chimp likes this.
  15. Archie's Mum

Just found an old real estate sale for no 5 Wylcwm Street. It states that it shares a courtyard with no 6.
    So the numbers must run consecutively.

Chimp likes this.
  16. Archie's Mum

I have just had a look at the attachment in post #11. The photo in post # 1 is not the building marked as the 'Gables' in post #11.
    The photo in #1 is the building that has Burford House attached to the side!
    Oh I am confused.
    I was under the impression that photo #1 was indeed the 'Gables' but it is the post office. So Burford House is #1, Post Office #2 and up the road a bit is the 'Gables' #3....gotcha

Gee-whiz, that was painful. :(

Chimp likes this.
  17. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

For those who can access address searches on fmp etc the street would seem to be Wilcome Street. I can only check 1881.

Chimp likes this.
  18. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

By some random googling I have come upon a site with details of postmasters and postmistresses of Knighton. It is run by a Terry Drayton I think.
    Try Terry Drayton post office Knighton Radnor

But no mention of Wylcwm st so far that I can see.

Mention of Eleanor Annie Palfrey postmistress 1911

Flook and Chimp like this.
  19. AnnB

AnnB Editor in Chief who is Hot off the Press!

That splendid site belongs to our very own Chimp.....:cool:

Ann

Chimp and Grizel like this.
  20. Grizel

Grizel Well-Known Member

And of her husband John Palfrey living at Burford house at the time of his death.

Chimp likes this.